Cormac McCarthy

Started by Chills, Jan 12, 2008, 05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

Lots of people reading this man's here so it might deserve a seperate thread.

I have read "No Country For Old Men" recently and was a little bit underwhelmed.

However, all the praise for "The Road" makes me consider giving him another shot.

"Blood Meridian" seems to be his most acclaimed work. Anyone finished that one?

mtngurl

I haven't read any of those but I read one of his this summer. I think it was called "Child of God"?  It was good, kind of bizarre. The movie for No country looked really good, but I haven't heard much about the book. And I feel like I will be let down by The Road because of all the hype. Anyone read that one?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

pawpaw

I have read "No Country For Old Men" recently and was a little bit underwhelmed.

I agree, I thought NCFOM was a bit of a let down (I actually liked the movie MORE).

Blood Meridian is my favorite of his. It is a cold, violent book for the most part, but will definitely grab you. McCarthy definitely shines in his descriptions of the West and (specifically) the Texas border country. There's one chapter specifically, the first big battle with the Indians, that is amazing.

I've also read All The Pretty Horses and Cities On The Plain, which are also very good books. In general, I'm a sucker for unique takes on "Westerns", and McCarthy certainly offers that, every time.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

whyteand82nd

I'm in the middle of "all the pretty horses" and nothing about it has caught my interest..Yet

I cant wait to read "The Road"
pulitzer prize winning novel, i mean come on!!
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

ycartrob

I have read All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing. I liked both of them, but the pace challenged me to really slow down. I had to really focus on being present more so than most things I read.

red

As I finished The Road tonight with tears welling in my eyes, I closed it's pages, and put it down knowing it was one of the absolute best pieces of fiction I've ever read.  

TheBigChicken

Damn ,I enjoyed No Country For Old Men >:(  Friend-O :D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

pawpaw

Well, it looks like there is going to be a movie made for "The Road"...Hollywood has McCarthy fever!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

I still haven't read this one...it's been on the to do list for a while now, time to get to it!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."