whats wrong with the dirty south?

Started by thebugman, Sep 11, 2008, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

QuoteI can't bitch about bands not playing in certain areas of Alabama, because I know that the crowds can be pretty thin.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

SplatSplatSplat

i don't think the band thinks badly of us southerners (my first post), i was just kinda joking. prolly shoulda thrown a smiley in there somewhere.

Why is it every time, and i mean EVERY TIME, someone says something even slightly critical, it's misconstrued as playa hatin? Ain't no body playa hatin the best band in the world, yo.
i think the purpose of this thread was to say, "hey, i wish they would come closer to some southern states than dallas, the roo, nashville or atlanta..."
I mean,  I usually end up driving an average of 7 hours to see these guys, even drove 20+ to frisco. I, personally, wouldn't mind not having to spend 500 bucks every time i go to see them.  But, i'm usually so happy that i get the opportunity i don't mind emptying my piggy bank. So...whatev, i guess.

And i know it's about the market, i know it's not the band and it's not personal. I know that. WE know that. But, can't a man(or woman) dream? I would love to have the feeling of waking up in the morning and thinking, "you know what? my morning jacket is playing in my town tonight and all i have to do is drive up the street. that's it, that's all."  I envy some of you.

and yes, memphis would be awesome and plenty enough for me.  some good places in memphis.....
You need it.  That's for sure.

ycartrob

i don't think the band thinks badly of us southerners (my first post), i was just kinda joking. prolly shoulda thrown a smiley in there somewhere.

Why is it every time, and i mean EVERY TIME, someone says something even slightly critical, it's misconstrued as playa hatin? Ain't no body playa hatin the best band in the world, yo.
i think the purpose of this thread was to say, "hey, i wish they would come closer to some southern states than dallas, the roo, nashville or atlanta..."
I mean,  I usually end up driving an average of 7 hours to see these guys, even drove 20+ to frisco. I, personally, wouldn't mind not having to spend 500 bucks every time i go to see them.  But, i'm usually so happy that i get the opportunity i don't mind emptying my piggy bank. So...whatev, i guess.

And i know it's about the market, i know it's not the band and it's not personal. I know that. WE know that. But, can't a man(or woman) dream? I would love to have the feeling of waking up in the morning and thinking, "you know what? my morning jacket is playing in my town tonight and all i have to do is drive up the street. that's it, that's all."  I envy some of you.

and yes, memphis would be awesome and plenty enough for me.  some good places in memphis.....

you should move

and quit trying to talk all ghetto, you look silly (and pull up them britches). Just b/c you watched 8 Mile doesn't mean you're a gangsta.

coupon

thebugman

i guess i should have stated in the title, whats wrong with ms?....dudes im just bored and thought it would be a nice thing to talk about. i love this forum but sometimes i hate it. tracy needs to stop sitting on the cloud of judgement, handing out life lessons to all us sinners...or wait people who havent posted 443534523 times on here....chill out...pretty much every post on this forum that seems to be crticial in any way...you talk shit. let me go back and rephrase the title of the thread....i wish mmj would come to my dainty ass town in mississippi and play for 200 people... there...i wish...

no one is takin shots...unless their jager...mmmm...
four on the floor and four in the air....

ycartrob

Quotei guess i should have stated in the title, whats wrong with ms?....dudes im just bored and thought it would be a nice thing to talk about. i love this forum but sometimes i hate it. tracy needs to stop sitting on the cloud of judgement, handing out life lessons to all us sinners...or wait people who havent posted 443534523 times on here....chill out...pretty much every post on this forum that seems to be crticial in any way...you talk shit. let me go back and rephrase the title of the thread....i wish mmj would come to my dainty ass town in mississippi and play for 200 people... there...i wish...

no one is takin shots...unless their jager...mmmm...

hey man, I grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, so, I understand your grief. You should move or accept it. I have seen some pretty awesome shows at the Coliseum in Jackson, but mostly major acts, I saw Journey AND Foreinger there in like 1980. The Strokes played at Hal and Mals right before they took off. The best show was probably Stevie Ray Vaughan show in 85 at what they call now Thalia Mara Hall. I also saw REM there in 86. Robin Trower? Town Creek Saloon? Front row (ie folding chairs), 1984!   ;D

As far as this forum goes, I am a Fanboy; Fanboy #16 (for research purposes). I will always defend MMJ. It's all in fun, and you can respond or not, it doesn't matter. I sometimes blow off steam to offset the PC'ness I have to endure at work. I have stated 37 times that I don't think this is the place where fans criticize the band. That's my opinion and I will stand by it. You disagree, you think this is the place where fans can say whatever they want about the band. We're both right (or wrong) and it's 63 degrees in Eastport, Maine...
I have no hard feelings for anyone here and if you got me on some "holier than thou" mindset, then that's on you.

you have 22 posts in 2 years and I bother you... think about it

peace

bearass

easy way

Well Tracy...not sure if this thread took off, but it sure went somewhere. Yikes! :-/....... ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Crispy

QuoteWell Tracy...not sure if this thread took off, but it sure went somewhere. Yikes! :-/....... ;)
It went somewhere alright...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ycartrob

I am certain this is all Bowl of Soup's fault, I just can't prove it right now.

gimme a minute

SplatSplatSplat

seriously, Tracy.

I wasn't trying front gangsta, yo. I merely phrased my words in such a manner in an (apparently vain) attempt to lessen the severity of it's meaning. I'm sorry i gave off that impression; it was just me attempting to be affable - i have a bad habit of pissing people off on boards regardless if i mean to or not. You see i was trying to avoid starting a Flame War since that's usually all these threads end up doing. Everyone says they're cool and respectful of others opinions all the while they do the exact opposite and just hate, dawg (i'm being sarcastic now).  

As for your recommendation on moving...okay. Good One.  Are you an ass all the time?  Or is b/c i have 20-something posts?  Am i not worthy, oh master of the MMJ message boards? Am i less of a fan b/c i don't contribute to the message boards day in and day out? Well, the main reason i don't is self-righteous posters like you. It's just not worth it to me -I look but don't touch.

And i don't think the band needs you to defend them. But it's good that you're doing it anyway. It's cute.

Now go rustle up your buds and come flame me out.  

go on now.
You need it.  That's for sure.

BH

Are you an ass all the time?  

Yes.  Yes he is.   ;D

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bearass

anyone else thinking what im thinking?

ycartrob

Are you an ass all the time?  

Yes.  Yes he is.   ;D

all the time?

now how can I be an ass when I am asleep? I guess I am an ass in my dreams  :-?

or the ass of my dreams?

ycartrob

seriously, Tracy.

I wasn't trying front gangsta, yo. I merely phrased my words in such a manner in an (apparently vain) attempt to lessen the severity of it's meaning. I'm sorry i gave off that impression; it was just me attempting to be affable - i have a bad habit of pissing people off on boards regardless if i mean to or not. You see i was trying to avoid starting a Flame War since that's usually all these threads end up doing. Everyone says they're cool and respectful of others opinions all the while they do the exact opposite and just hate, dawg (i'm being sarcastic now).  

As for your recommendation on moving...okay. Good One.  Are you an ass all the time?  Or is b/c i have 20-something posts?  Am i not worthy, oh master of the MMJ message boards? Am i less of a fan b/c i don't contribute to the message boards day in and day out? Well, the main reason i don't is self-righteous posters like you. It's just not worth it to me -I look but don't touch.

And i don't think the band needs you to defend them. But it's good that you're doing it anyway. It's cute.

go on now.

you call it a Flame War, I call it good ol' fun. (I can kid around too, ya know?) And this isn't your attempt at not flaming things is it? Because if you are trying not to flame things, then, well, uhhhh, nevermind.

In the end, no one gets hurt.

coupon

ding dong, yo. yo, ding dong. ding dong, yo.

Mister Anthrope

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be. Vonnegut

corey

Quoteding dong, yo. yo, ding dong. ding dong, yo.

Are you keepin' their heads ringin' or something?
:D

Taterbug

I think they may go to the south more if the hotels  were a liitle nicer  :).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ycartrob

[size=24]Dirty South[/size]
[size=8]Cultural origins Houston, Texas Typical instruments Prominent drum machine - Turntable - rapping - Sampler - synthesizer - human beatboxing Subgenres Dirty South - Crunk - Snap Music - Memphis rap - New Orleans Rap - Chopped & Screwed - Houston Rap - Miami bass - Bounce music - Jigg Music - Jook music Regional scenes
Alabama - Atlanta - Florida(Tampa - Miami) - Memphis Mississippi - Louisiana(New Orleans- Baton Rouge) - Dallas - Houston Southern hip hop is a form of American hip hop music that emerged from a club oriented vibe in the late-1990s as a popular force from cities including, but not limited to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Memphis, Bowling Green, Shreveport, New Orleans, Miami, and Baton Rouge. In the 1980s, the rise and spread of hip hop culture from New York City and California spurred cities in the Southern United States to develop and nurture their own respective hip hop scenes.Southern rap artists were forced to release their music independently, since their music was ignored in the early years despite being one of the most popular forms of Hip Hop music at the moment. The mixtape scene has been a large factor in the success of many of today's southern rap artists. Southern hip hop is considered among the big three American hip hop genres including East Coast hip hop and West Coast hip hop.
History"Dirty South" is a term often used to describe Southern hip hop, characterized by its bouncy, upbeat, exuberant, club-friendly tunes and simple, heavily rhythmic lyrical delivery. "Dirty South " was used by southern rap group Goodie Mob on their debut album Soul Food (1995). The situation is further complicated by the emergence of "Dirty South" as a term for the South minus any states whose Southern character is debatable; in other words, the deep South (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, and the Carolinas). Geto Boys were one of the first nationally popular southern rap groups. Hailing from Houston, they consisted of Willie D, Bushwick Bill and Scarface. Houston was the first major city outside of New York City, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia to attract attention from the rap world; the Geto Boy's 1989 local debut, Grip It! On That Other Level, garnered the attention of Def Jam founder Rick Rubin to executive produce and release their 1990 nationwide debut. It was the Geto Boys' 1991 hit, "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me", that began to break down the barrier for southern rap. The raw and unforgiving lyrics about paranoia and losing one's mind were a huge change from what most hip hop fans expected coming from the South. The song would go on to influence several other acts that would popularize the Southern rap scene; for example, while hosting BET's Top 25 countdown in 2004, OutKast's André 3000 remarked that "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me" "put Southern rap on the map." The Geto Boy's Scarface later launched a successful solo career and is referred to by some as the original "King of the South."Soon after the Geto Boys' success, Houston became a main center of Southern hip hop. Now-popular groups such as UGK (from Port Arthur, Texas) and 8 Ball & MJG (from Memphis) moved to Houston in the late 80s to begin their musical careers. Both groups went on to release influential albums such as UGK's Too Hard to Swallow (1992) and 8 Ball & MJG's Comin' Out Hard (1993). Houston is also home to Rap-A-Lot Records, the first successful Southern rap label, coincidentally headed by Scarface and J. Prince.Spirituality is often an emotion present in Southern hip hop, eschewing the usual "party" aspects of of hip hop including sex and drugs. Atlanta based rap group Arrested Development released their album five months after "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me." Their brand of lighthearted and spiritual party singles from their platinum debut LP, 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of..., was a world apart from the sexually explicit, bass heavy party music of Miami and the gangsta rap bravado of Houston, but the group gained both commercial success and critical acclaim. While Arrested Development was not able to keep their momentum going, their success did set the stage for Atlanta's OutKast and Goodie Mob.
These two groups, both a part of the collective the Dungeon Family, debuted in 1994 and 1995 respectively. Their musical basis was alternately heavy-bassed funk over which were party raps, and slow introspective songs about poverty, promiscuity and racism. OutKast and Goodie Mob were the first groups to popularize Atlanta, Georgia in the South and coin the term "Dirty South". They were among the first acts from the South, recording on a major label, to gain national recognition.By the early 2000s, Southern rap was arguably becoming the genre's most popular form. This is due to the mainstream acceptance of the crunk music movement. Rap groups such as Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz, the Youngbloodz, and Three 6 Mafia have had massive mainstream success releasing music focused on the ever-popular club scene. DJ Paul and Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia have had a huge impact in the expansion of southern rap. They have launched many artists (Project Pat, Lil Wyte, Chrome, and Gangsta Boo just to name a few) as well as starting a very successful record label, Hypnotize Minds. The "Dirty South" sound can be heard from Southwest Houston rappers Trae and Z-Ro, Chamillionaire, as well as Sunny Black from North Carolina, Yung Wun from Atlanta, Mystikal, B.G. from New Orleans, and Young Buck from Nashville. Houston's South Park Coalition is a more underground large group of rappers and musicians.Regional scenesNew Orleans, LouisianaNew Orleans had been called the commercial center of Southern hip hop.Bounce Music started off in 1986 in New Orleans, LA with the arrival of the Showboys' vinyl record called "Drag Rap" which is also known as "Trigga man." This record was the precursor to the hip hop sub-genre of bounce music. Similar to Miami bass, bounce music uses a call and chant approach to its music, and is a favorite of dance clubs.
By the late 1990s, Atlanta had emerged as a major city in hip hop and the city's success and influence in the rap world continues on today. While OutKast, Goodie Mob, and a number of other Atlanta-based acts (several of them part of Organized Noize the Dungeon Family collective) balanced critical and commercial success, New Orleans rapper/label mogul Master P popularized a bounce-based sound that focused more on commercial appeal than artistry.The late 1990s also saw the emergence of New Orleans as a hotbed for rap music. Master P's No Limit Records popularized rappers such as Mystikal, TRU, Mia X, C-Murder, and Silkk the Shocker and became home to highly popular West Coast rapper Snoop Dogg; the competing Cash Money label presented acts such as The Hot Boys (The B.G., Juvenile, Lil Wayne, and Turk).The No Limit/Cash Money formula was also successfully co-opted by Miami's Slip-N-Slide label, which included Trick Daddy and Trina. Labels such as these also caused Dirty South music to be associated with "mass produced" albums released in rapid succession. The CD packaging for these releases typically featured brightly-colored, heavily Photoshopped "bling bling"-style album covers; and a whole page of the liner notes for each LP was usually devoted to advertising its follow-ups.Some of the earlier artists of the genre include: TT Tucker, DJ Jubilee, Master P, Juvenile, Tim Smooth, Mannie Fresh, The Showboys, and DJ Jimi while some of the new artists include: Gotty Boi Chris, 10th ward Buck, Hot Boy Ronald, Sissy Nobby, DJ Black n Mild, and Choppa.Miami, FloridaFlorida has been an important influence in American hip hop since New school hip hop.[5] Miami bass is a popular style of music from the Miami area of South Florida and is the first style of southern rap music started in the south. And has also embodied by the musical style of local rap stars such as Trick Daddy. [6] Miami Bass is a part of the robust music scene in the South Florida metropolitan area, which consists of cities such as Miami, Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale.In Miami, the distinctive bass-heavy scene of Miami bass evolved out of electro hop and similar hip hop-influenced dance scenes in Miami, including Luther Campbell and his group, 2 Live Crew. 2 Live Crew became infamous after their album, Nasty As They Wanna Be (1989), was banned in a Florida town and the group was subsequently arrested on obscenity charges after performing; the charges were eventually dismissed. The Miami Bass scene that 2 Live Crew typified is simply one form of southern rap and Miami Bass' club-oriented sound garnered little respect from hip hop fans. But the 2 Live Crew is not the only music artist in Miami. The first all Hip-Hop label from South Florida was the Broward County based Big Baller Records & Films. Founded by Mr. Frank "Cash" Murray. Big Baller was the first true Hip-Hop label in South Florida to sign a major multi-million dollar deal with Sony Music. Big Baller was also the first label in the entire state of Florida to produce and film their own movie. Mr. Murray has repeatedly given credit for any so called success to Master P and Jermaine Dupri and his favorite, Luther "Uncle Luke" Campbell. Miami rapper Trick Daddy also lived in the Pork N'Beans Projects of Miami's notorious Liberty City, one of the city's and America's infamous areas. The city of Miami is also home to the label Slip "N" Slide Records. Later Miami Bass artists also had success, though it usually was short lived and only based on a few singles. Artists like 69 Boyz, Tag Team, Quad City DJ's, 95 South, and Freak Nasty all scored some major hits in the 1990s using a Miami Bass sound, albeit with a far less explicit style than previously used by Campbell and the 2 Live Crew. TexasAs is often the case with Texas, their take on the culture of hip hop is somewhat quarantined[/size]