Does anyone garden

Started by rccola71, Mar 02, 2008, 08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

Got all my stuff in yesterday. 8 tomato plants, 2 rows of okra, 2 rows of string beans ,2 yellow crook neck squash, 2 arugula, and various herbs. this is a totally organic garden using our rain water barrel and our compost pile for fertilizer. Our garden is rather small....It's about 11 x 16 sq ft.  I dig gardening :)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

SMc55

I've got into it in the last few years and I'm very gradually learning what it's all about. I wish I had more time though. I don't think I'll be able to do more than dabble till I retire.
My garden was virtually empty when I moved in 3½ years ago. I've loved seeing the trees and bushes I've planted grow and mature.

aMD

I love to get more serious about gardening.  I'm thinking about starting an organic garden at school and maybe I could get some help with it.  I have experience, know-how and space, I need to start gardening.  I was going to start making my own compost soon.  How do you make yours? I don't want to shell out 100+ bucks for a composter.

mjkoehler

I just tilled half my garden today. Lettuce in the garden this week and we are planting our tomato and chili seeds in peat pods later this week. It's about 75 today in St Louis, but snow and ice Monday and Tuesday. We also have a ton of flowers coming in.

TheBigChicken

QuoteI love to get more serious about gardening.  I'm thinking about starting an organic garden at school and maybe I could get some help with it.  I have experience, know-how and space, I need to start gardening.  I was going to start making my own compost soon.  How do you make yours? I don't want to shell out 100+ bucks for a composter.
No need for a composter. We start with dirt and only add vegetable scraps and egg shells. No meat or dairy. Try to post a pic soon.

pawpaw

I love to garden, though I can't right now, as I live in a tiny apartment. My wife is actually really into plants (she's a landscape architect), so having some land to play with is pretty high on our list for our future home.

I also had a pretty successful garden in the basement of a house I lived in during college.  ;)  
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

aMD

QuoteI love to get more serious about gardening.  I'm thinking about starting an organic garden at school and maybe I could get some help with it.  I have experience, know-how and space, I need to start gardening.  I was going to start making my own compost soon.  How do you make yours? I don't want to shell out 100+ bucks for a composter.
No need for a composter. We start with dirt and only add vegetable scraps and egg shells. No meat or dairy. Try to post a pic soon.

Do you need to house or cover it in some way? how long does it take for the egg shells to decompose?

cmccubbin@work

not really a gardening question, but close enough...

anyone know the perfect time to sow grass seed?
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

aMD

best time to sow grass seed in these parts is in late summer/ early fall.  Sometime in September is probably the best.  If you have a project you're wanting to get done before the summer, I would sow it sometime this month or early April.

cmccubbin@work

Quotebest time to sow grass seed in these parts is in late summer/ early fall.  Sometime in September is probably the best.  If you have a project you're wanting to get done before the summer, I would sow it sometime this month or early April.

yeah...i wanted to sow it before summer.

i was wanting to get it down this month.  my dad told me a good time was to catch a March snow (predicted for Friday) and sow it then.  he said when the snow melts and the ground thaws the seeds "ride" the water down into the soil.

thanks Dylan!  now i just have to rake up leaves from last fall!!!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

mjkoehler

Just sowed most of our veggie seeds into peat pods to get them started since we will not be able to plant stuff into the garden for a while yet. 72 tomato plants, 12 Cucumber, 10 bell pepper plants, 30 chili plants, and about 15 tomatillos.  :o

Some of those are bound to make it right?

TheBigChicken

QuoteJust sowed most of our veggie seeds into peat pods to get them started since we will not be able to plant stuff into the garden for a while yet. 72 tomato plants, 12 Cucumber, 10 bell pepper plants, 30 chili plants, and about 15 tomatillos.  :o

Yes...you must have a nice size grow area...I'm envious..I could garden for a living and surely enjoy it...Chilling on my tractor with some MMJ on my head set :)

mjkoehler

QuoteJust sowed most of our veggie seeds into peat pods to get them started since we will not be able to plant stuff into the garden for a while yet. 72 tomato plants, 12 Cucumber, 10 bell pepper plants, 30 chili plants, and about 15 tomatillos.  :o

Yes...you must have a nice size grow area...I'm envious..I could garden for a living and surely enjoy it...Chilling on my tractor with some MMJ on my head set :)
Nice...Yeah our house is on 2 oversized lots so we have a ginormous garden area [size=8](secretly I have it that large so there is less I have to mow)[/size]. The beauty of living in a small town, LAND.

bearass

one time i tried to garden in my closet it didnt work out to good ;D