NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

We're a week away from kickoff, folks! It's about that time... time to start predicting your team's Win/Loss, over-analyzing and over-stating the talent on the depth chart, and best of all - It's time to kick the trash talk in high gear, and if you're an LSU, Tennessee, or Auburn fan, start coming up with good excuses...

I'll predict Alabama goes 8-4. The worst I can see the season going is 7-5, the best I could imagine it being would be 10-2.

This is Nick Saban's first year with the Alabama Crimson Tide, so he's working with a team that isn't his own. Thanks to the previous coach and his way about things, we really don't even know what to expect from this team. Last year, Alabama nearly beat Arkansas, and held Florida down for the first half before just giving up. Weeks previous and afterwards, we lost to Mississippi State, Duke, and Vanderbilt... We've seen glimpses of raw talent, but we haven't seen that talent cultivated on the field.

That said, I think Tuscaloosans, above all, are ready for this season to get underway... I'm so ready to have the Saban mania be a result of a win, instead of a result of relief. Yes, we're really glad that we've got a competent coach for the first time in a long time, but the local media just won't shut the fuck up about the "mystery" that is Nick Saban.

I'll also predict that the SEC, once again, dominates the NCAA. I'm picking LSU to take the title against USC in the BCS.

"I don't know whether I prefer Astroturf to grass. I never smoked Astroturf." - Joe Namath
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

corey

I'm really excited as well. I'm pretty happy that BAMA isn't playing a big team next week because I'm gonna be out of town and can't guarantee that I will be around a TV. I guess I'll have to Tivo it. I sure want to make sure that I see Saban's first game with the Tide.

It's very sad to know that Prothro definitely won't be playing. We've had that small amount of hope for over a year now and it's gone. Very sad. I feel really bad for him.

I'm interested to see how JPW does with the receivers this year. Also, the running game will be very different without Darby, so that's gonna be interesting to watch.

ycartrob

'tis one of my favorite times of the year, with the promise of cooler weather and all...

I have a couple of predictions for the season:

The suprise team will be Kansas and I can't say for sure, but they will probably be undefeated going into November. (yes, Kansas!) Mizzou will also be strong and will probably have 1 loss going into November. (my crystal ball is a little fuzzy, it only goes to the first week of November). Cal will not be as strong as people think, and will lose 3 or 4. Ohio St will have their usual bogus #1 ranking until they meet Illini. Oregon will have 1 loss (probably to Cal) and LSU will have 1 loss, that coming at the hands of Kentucky! (yes, Kentucky, probably in OT). Couple of other suprise teams early, but will fade: University South Florida, Boston College, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arizona St.

That's what I am seeing right now...

The DARK

I predict a USC vs. USC championship. With USC (the one that matters) winning.

Oh, and Clemson stops funding their football program following a 0-12 season capped with a 156-0 defeat to South Carolina. ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

primushead

I predict Appalachian State will crush Michigan this Saturday, at which point North Carolina will become inspired by such a great show of football playing and go on to win the ACC.  

And, Clemson will go 0-12

The DARK

QuoteI predict Appalachian State will crush Michigan this Saturday, at which point North Carolina will become inspired by such a great show of football playing and go on to win the ACC.  

And, Clemson will go 0-12

Looks like its 2 on 1, Big Come Up.  ;)

megisnotreal

QuoteSaban mania

straw hat??

Angry Ewok

QuoteIt's very sad to know that Prothro definitely won't be playing. We've had that small amount of hope for over a year now and it's gone. Very sad. I feel really bad for him.

I have a pretty good source in with the staff... and I could have told you a year ago that not only was he totally out of the game, but that he'd be lucky if he could walk unaided for the rest of his life. His spirit and tenacity is the only reason he can get around without a cane, these days.

John Parker Wilson is a good athelete... with good enough protection and an aware receiver or two, he could end up being a monster. The big question is whether or not the Offensive Line can hold strong and prevent sacks.

The rushing attack is going to be really, really fun this year. When I went to watch a practice, the other week, Saban had SEVEN halfbacks in pads.

Quotestraw hat??

The straw hat is a much better accessory than the heavy wool of a hounds tooth cap... but the one thing about Nick's new "trademark" look that I just don't understand, is the vest with sleeves underneath thing...

It's been 110 degrees, but he just doesn't give a shit. He loves the vest.

Tooth

THE YEAR OF THE MOUNTAINEER!  

aMD

Ohio State Football rules!!!

If then had a tournament that was worth a shit I'd be more excited but I find college football a little anti-climatic compared to nfl or college BB

i'm also interested to see how UofL does without the old coach, we still have plenty of talent.

primushead

Now that you mention it, have we had a discussion about how the BCS system sucks and how there should definitely be a playoff system?

Because, in my opinion, the BCS system sucks and they really should have a playoff system.

aMD

QuoteNow that you mention it, have we had a discussion about how the BCS system sucks and how there should definitely be a playoff system?

Because, in my opinion, the BCS system sucks and they really should have a playoff system.

it's difficult to talk about college football without talking about that.  The BCS sucks!!!

ycartrob

The BCS system sucks and they really should have a playoff system.

The DARK

QuoteNow that you mention it, have we had a discussion about how the BCS system sucks and how there should definitely be a playoff system?

it's difficult to talk about college football without talking about that.  The BCS sucks!!!

:'( I don't care about a national championship. I just want to see our bowls! (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta)

aMD

:'( I don't care about a national championship. I just want to see our bowls! (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta)

wow. i thought only talking heads on tv thought that.

My team is a BCS team that usually gets a fair shake from the writers and I still hate the BCS.  I like watching the Rose Bowls for years but give me an actual national championship and you won't hear me complaining.

The DARK

Hmmm...there could be a comprimise made here. Prehaps they do the traditional conference winners bowls (Orange, etc.) and then build a playoff from there?

The problem with a playoff is that you can't make it too long, or the players will be worn out, and you can't make it too short, or many teams will feel snubbed. I think that 8 teams is the best you can make it. Normal BCS bowls: conference winners from the "big five" confrences, 1 non-BCS team, and 2 other teams. That would seem about as fair as you could get it.

aMD

eight teams would be great.  it's a lot better than two anyway.  last year osu had over a month between their last game and their bowl game.  surely they could fit a couple games in in the interim.  

a comprise is kind of what they have now and it's made it so that the classic bowls are bastarized so that teams from any conference can now played in them and the national championship is STILL a joke.

Angry Ewok

I'd like to see the BCS system worked on, for sure, but there has to be a way to do this without having the season stretch into February or March. I'll also agree that I'd like to see the Rose Bowl and others still have some sort of relevance and shine to them... The Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl, especially.

There's nothing totally wrong with having bowls like the Nokia Emerald Bowl or Nike Swoosh Bowl, as it gives folks one last chance to see their team, but I want to see the classic bowls restored to their previous glory.

The DARK

QuoteI'd like to see the BCS system worked on, for sure, but there has to be a way to do this without having the season stretch into February or March. I'll also agree that I'd like to see the Rose Bowl and others still have some sort of relevance and shine to them... The Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl, especially.

There's nothing totally wrong with having bowls like the Nokia Emerald Bowl or Nike Swoosh Bowl, as it gives folks one last chance to see their team, but I want to see the classic bowls restored to their previous glory.

Agreed.  :) A playoff system involving this, worked out the right way, could help give the old bowls more significance as part of a playoff system. Maybe it could have the major "bowls" be played also as first-round games, then separated into east champinship/west championship for the final four, and then the national championship. Keep the other, smaller bowls (though I think we have more than enough already). This way, the season would only last 2 weeks past the New Year's Day bowls.

The problem is that if some teams feel snubbed for not being part of the national championship, they will feel just as snubbed by not making the playoffs. Once people can learn to live with the fact that not every playoff-worthy team will get in, we can move on.

ycartrob

QuoteI'd like to see the BCS system worked on, for sure, but there has to be a way to do this without having the season stretch into February or March. I'll also agree that I'd like to see the Rose Bowl and others still have some sort of relevance and shine to them... The Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl, especially.

Agreed.  :) A playoff system involving this, worked out the right way, could help give the old bowls more significance as part of a playoff system. Maybe it could have the major "bowls" be played also as first-round games, then separated into east champinship/west championship for the final four, and then the national championship. Keep the other, smaller bowls (though I think we have more than enough already). This way, the season would only last 2 weeks past the New Year's Day bowls.

The problem is that if some teams feel snubbed for not being part of the national championship, they will feel just as snubbed by not making the playoffs. Once people can learn to live with the fact that not every playoff-worthy team will get in, we can move on.

Anything would be better than what happened to Auburn a couple of years ago (go undefeated and be ranked number 2 b/c there's no playoff) and hell, I hate Auburn.

There's less of an argument with who gets left out in a 12 team playoff format than the bullshit of having 2 undefeated teams at the end of a season. Absolutely makes no sense from a sports perspective. Can you imagine the Colts and Bears ending up undefeated last year and so the sportswriters or coaches pick a champion? Bullshit.  It's about greed, it's not about the sport of college football. Once they figure out how much interest and money the playoff system will make, they'll feel real dumb for waiting so long.

It's just a matter of time until the nonsense stops.