Raising Arizona

Taxi Driver

BH

Rushmore
Reservoir Dogs
Star Wars IV thru VI
E.T.
The Wall
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Taterbug

QuoteTo enjoy that movie, you'd either have to be a total dork like me or you'd have to be using some sort of medicinal aide, I guess.

8-)

It's like Mad Max 2, though. Except on water.

I love Dennis Hopper , Easy Rider , Blue Velvet .
I am a huge dork myself.  Maybe I will have to write myself a prescription for my GLAUCOMA   ;).   Before I start to look like this guy.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

bowl of soup

The Sweet Hereafter.  (Most PERFECT sad movie ever.)
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

red

Hmm...off the top of my head:

This Is Spinal Tap
Raging Bull
Amelie
Almost Famous (aside from that part when the girl runs into the wall when chasing the bus)
The Royal Tenenbaums
Apocalypse Now
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

bowl of soup

QuoteHmm...off the top of my head:

This Is Spinal Tap
Raging Bull
Amelie
Almost Famous (aside from that part when the girl runs into the wall when chasing the bus)
The Royal Tenenbaums
Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now is the correct answer to this question.  I just can't watch it since I had kids.  There's that scene where they shoot up the boat with kids in it.  I just can't take violence towards kids anymore (even fictional).  I had to stop watching Trainspotting at the point when the baby died and never finished.  Maybe my job has poisoned me.  (I know my job has poisoned me.)
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Hawkeye

QuoteEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Either that or The Electric Cowboy.

Eternal Sunshine was my first thought.  Forrest Gump comes to mind as well.  I also just saw Saving Private Ryan a few days ago for the first time, it's very well done.  It looks like I missed Into the Wild in theatres, but I "obtained" a copy and will be watching that tonight!
We could.

Hawkeye

QuoteHmm...off the top of my head:

This Is Spinal Tap
Raging Bull
Amelie
The Royal Tenenbaums
Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now is the correct answer to this question.  I just can't watch it since I had kids.  There's that scene where they shoot up the boat with kids in it.  I just can't take violence towards kids anymore (even fictional).  I had to stop watching Trainspotting at the point when the baby died and never finished.  Maybe my job has poisoned me.  (I know my job has poisoned me.)

Don't ever watch City of God then!!  Great movie but lots of violence towards kids, by kids.  That scene where they make the kid choose which other kid to shoot to join "the gang" is tough to watch.  And then the other little kid (who can't be more than 4 or 5 years old) goes limping away crying after he is shot in the foot...great movie, but not easy to watch...
We could.

.Walt

Kingpin
Heavyweights (the fat camp movie)
the brady bunch movie
the goonies
dazed and confused
halfbaked

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Taterbug

favorite stoner movies
Fast Times at ridgemont high, Heavy metal ( cartoon ) and The wall.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ManNamedTruth

i don't know about perfect, here are a few favorites:
The Science Of Sleep
Donnie Darko
The Shining
Wild At Heart (just saw that not too long ago, might be my favorite from Lynch)
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
really almost anything by the Coen Brothers

i have to check out Amelie, been meaning to for some time.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

Tough question because I don't think you are asking us what is the best film ever? I'll get back to you on this. Hitchcock, Ford, Capra, Kurosawa, Lean, Welles, Mann, Hawks, Miyazaki, Kazan, Coppola, Scorcese, Kubrick, Spielberg, Wise and countless others have made perfect films.

mjkoehler

Yeah there isn't anything here that none of you haven't already listed. These are in my list of favs but I tried to stick with movies I thought of as "perfect". in no particular order

Dazed & Confused
Amelie
Godfather I & II
Young Frankenstein (That's pronouced Frank En Stein)
Dr Stranglove
Blade Runner
Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Yeah know theyare slighty different then the books but I judge them seperate from the books, and I'm a huge f'n dork.

[size=8]And I love Waterworld[/size]

aMD

QuoteKingpin

the goonies

that movie defined my childhood

red

How could I forget Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.   :-/

megisnotreal

oh, and also, the princess bride. i had it on vhs and watched it so many times the tape broke.

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

LizKing531

I haven't seen either of these listed yet:     ;D

Monthy Python's Holy Grail

Blazing Saddles

Naked 2 1/2

sweatboard

I was thinking The Holy Grail.  Every scene is a masterpiece.
There's Still Time.........

pawpaw

I've been sick for a couple days, so I've been digging into our movie library pretty hard. Some of these I've recently seen, others are just perfect and always make the list:

-Ferris Bueller's Day Off (The best of John Hughes, and that's saying something)
-Sideways (Perfectly written, great wine)
-Chinatown (Possibly my favorite movie, THE MOST PERFECT)
-Return of the Jedi (I think the best from the series that defined my childhood)
-The Philadelphia Story (STAR power: Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant. The writing has stood up so well, so clever and funny)
-Dazed and Confused (Though it was set 20 years ahead of me, I don't think that there is a movie about my High School experience that is more accurate)
-Vertigo (No film has showcased my favorite city as finely)
-Before Sunset (Amazing dialogue, this one is pretty special)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."