MMJ Reference in KOL Pitchfork Review

Started by marino13, Sep 16, 2008, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marino13

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/145526-kings-of-leon-only-by-the-night

Last line of a negative KOL review:

"Surely, we can do better for the platonic ideal of a rock band than four guys gunning for a spot rightfully inhabited by My Morning Jacket but instead coming up with the best songs 3 Doors Down never wrote."

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Pitchfork LOVES My Morning Jacket...just hates all their albums.
God damn those shaky knees.

BH

QuotePitchfork LOVES My Morning Jacket...just hates all their albums.

;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Erik26

Thats a nasty review. I like KOL a great deal they just lack that something really special that MMJ have.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Erik26

Upon reading the entire article that guy just seems to have a hate-on for KOL. He is just flat out insulting them like they are some record company made boy band. This guy is just plain nasty.

songdiver

I don't have a strong opinion about Kings of Leon one way or another, but can we seriously get the addresses of these hipster shitbags from pitchfork, I had a bad day at work and I would love nothing more than to knock their fucking teeth out.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

LEATHER KID

IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

DaFunkyPrecedent

kinda argree with the guy...
agreed with some of the stuff they said about My Morning Jacket too...

BUT, I do hate pitchfork reviews.  To make an analogy, if they were food critics and they ate a hamburger, the only way this burger could get an 8.7 would have to be if it this burger was made with the best organic Kobe beef and placed on a garlic french roll with melted bree, fire roasted pears and an in house dijon mustard cooked to perfection, with a side of yukon gold fresh cut fries lightly seasoned with cajun spices.  But what pitchfork forgets is that sometimes a greasy burger with American cheese and fries is the best thing in the world.  
God damn those shaky knees.

Kris

DaFunkyPrecedent knocks it outta the park.

Love Dogg

Quotekinda argree with the guy...

BUT, I do hate pitchfork reviews.  To make an analogy, if they were food critics and they ate a hamburger, the only way this burger could get an 8.7 would have to be if it this burger was made with the best organic Kobe beef and placed on a garlic french roll with melted bree, fire roasted pears and an in house dijon mustard cooked to perfection, with a side of yukon gold fresh cut fries lightly seasoned with cajun spices.   ;D 

Can I get a $5 milkshake with that?   ;D

I like the album over all pretty well.  I don't like it as much as the others, but geez, this guy is being an asshole about it.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

BH

Seems like 90% of his review is about the lyrics.  I'm looking forward to hearing the music on Tuesday.  I never got around to downloading the leak.

Erik26

I have never read pitchfork, is this the way they tend to review and talk about bands?

tomEisenbraun

I believe the correct terminology for this man's medical condition is that he "has a total hate-boner" for Kings of Leon.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

The DARK

Quotekinda argree with the guy...

BUT, I do hate pitchfork reviews.  To make an analogy, if they were food critics and they ate a hamburger, the only way this burger could get an 8.7 would have to be if it this burger was made with the best organic Kobe beef and placed on a garlic french roll with melted bree, fire roasted pears and an in house dijon mustard cooked to perfection, with a side of yukon gold fresh cut fries lightly seasoned with cajun spices.  But what pitchfork forgets is that sometimes a greasy burger with American cheese and fries is the best thing in the world.  

To get a 9.9 it must be based on a 100 year old Eastern-European recipe with many forms of goat cheese.

No burger at all would get 10.0. It's "modern culinary art"  ::)
In another time, in another place, in another face

lazybones

Got into KOL same time as MMJ.  Have both been my 2 favorite bands to surface in the last several years.  Aha Shake Heartbreak is an absolutely incredible album imo.  The only thing I agree with in that review is the comparison to U2.  They have admittedly been severely influenced after opening for them on a tour several years ago and playing large venues on a tour like that obviously convinced them for better or worse that they needed to broaden the expanse of their sound so as to fill the mighty space of "the arena".  They have been quite honest and vocal about all these changes.  Because of the Times failed to work for me as an album not because they changed or enhanced their sound but because I think it was ineffectively tracked.  In other words the flow was wrong.  I mean listen to Heartbreak-that album is brilliantly tracked.  It takes you on a ride-the fast songs compliment each other as placed and the slow songs are positioned perfectly intermingled to allow emotional and tonal decompression and  contrast.  I do love some individual songs off Because of the Times and also their latest effort Only By the Night I actually think the latter works better as an album.  The thing that bothers me about their overall direction is that they not only seem over produced but their songs seem almost too well crafted (made up a bit too pretty all ready for their big debut on the radio stage).  I think the review is way too harsh because regardless of how much integrity or originality or relevance the new album may lack it it still an very enjoyable listen.  I especially like the active basslines.  And I actually like arena rock.  Stillwater anyone?  I will also undoubtedly enjoy most if not all of their concert to which I scored 3rd row center tix to.  Caleb Followhill has one of the best voices in rock today-like a cross between Lou Reed and Bon Scott.  This will always set this band apart no matter how derivative their music may become.  Oh, and they are huge MMJ fans.  Can you blame them for wanting to expand their sound and their following?
"There are only two kinds of songs; there's the blues, and there's zip-a-dee-doo-dah."
-Townes Van Zandt

Janet

I saw them open for Dylan and decided to check them out.  I loved the first two albums and liked Because of the Times ok.  Just ok.  Haven't gotten past "Crawl" on the latest - only because right now anything that isn't MMJ isn't holding much interest - so I can't opine.

That being said, the pitchfork reviewer is an complete asshat.  

Love Dogg

QuoteGot into KOL same time as MMJ.  Have both been my 2 favorite bands to surface in the last several years.  Aha Shake Heartbreak is an absolutely incredible album imo.  The only thing I agree with in that review is the comparison to U2.  They have admittedly been severely influenced after opening for them on a tour several years ago and playing large venues on a tour like that obviously convinced them for better or worse that they needed to broaden the expanse of their sound so as to fill the mighty space of "the arena".  They have been quite honest and vocal about all these changes.  [highlight]Because of the Times failed to work for me as an album not because they changed or enhanced their sound but because I think it was ineffectively tracked.  In other words the flow was wrong.[/highlight]  I mean listen to Heartbreak-that album is brilliantly tracked.  It takes you on a ride-the fast songs compliment each other as placed and the slow songs are positioned perfectly intermingled to allow emotional and tonal decompression and  contrast.  I do love some individual songs off Because of the Times and also their latest effort Only By the Night I actually think the latter works better as an album.  The thing that bothers me about their overall direction is that they not only seem over produced but their songs seem almost too well crafted (made up a bit too pretty all ready for their big debut on the radio stage).  I think the review is way too harsh because regardless of how much integrity or originality or relevance the new album may lack it it still an very enjoyable listen.  I especially like the active basslines.  And I actually like arena rock.  Stillwater anyone?  I will also undoubtedly enjoy most if not all of their concert to which I scored 3rd row center tix to.  Caleb Followhill has one of the best voices in rock today-like a cross between Lou Reed and Bon Scott.  This will always set this band apart no matter how derivative their music may become.  Oh, and they are huge MMJ fans.  Can you blame them for wanting to expand their sound and their following?

I like your point in all of this.   :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

LEATHER KID

QuoteGot into KOL same time as MMJ.  Have both been my 2 favorite bands to surface in the last several years.  Aha Shake Heartbreak is an absolutely incredible album imo.  The only thing I agree with in that review is the comparison to U2.  They have admittedly been severely influenced after opening for them on a tour several years ago and playing large venues on a tour like that obviously convinced them for better or worse that they needed to broaden the expanse of their sound so as to fill the mighty space of "the arena".  They have been quite honest and vocal about all these changes.  Because of the Times failed to work for me as an album not because they changed or enhanced their sound but because I think it was ineffectively tracked.  In other words the flow was wrong.  I mean listen to Heartbreak-that album is brilliantly tracked.  It takes you on a ride-the fast songs compliment each other as placed and the slow songs are positioned perfectly intermingled to allow emotional and tonal decompression and  contrast.  I do love some individual songs off Because of the Times and also their latest effort Only By the Night I actually think the latter works better as an album.  The thing that bothers me about their overall direction is that they not only seem over produced but their songs seem almost too well crafted (made up a bit too pretty all ready for their big debut on the radio stage).  I think the review is way too harsh because regardless of how much integrity or originality or relevance the new album may lack it it still an very enjoyable listen.  I especially like the active basslines.  And I actually like arena rock.  Stillwater anyone?  I will also undoubtedly enjoy most if not all of their concert to which I scored 3rd row center tix to.  Caleb Followhill has one of the best voices in rock today-like a cross between Lou Reed and Bon Scott.  This will always set this band apart no matter how derivative their music may become.  Oh, and they are huge MMJ fans.  Can you blame them for wanting to expand their sound and their following?
I like your style dude.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

weeniebeenie

Quote Oh, and they are huge MMJ fans.  Can you blame them for wanting to expand their sound and their following?
I read an article with Nathan and Caleb and they were saying how much At Dawn influenced them. Can't remember where this interview is though.
How loud can silence get?