I want to be a hockey fan...

Started by AngryEwok, Apr 17, 2008, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Fuck.  What a game, though.  

Jaimoe

Go Calgary, although I like the Sharks too!

ManNamedTruth

But I don't know how anybody can like Tootoo. That guy doesn't deserve to play in the NHL with all the dirty crap he's pulled.

Jordin Tootoo is a hockey player. He's hard nosed, gritty, old school hockey. He got a bunch of shit for knocking out the Stars golden boy Mike madano AND Stephane Robidas within 10 seconds of each other. I think he is great. He brings amazing energy to the ice.

It's hockey. Watch Tootoo bang up a bunch of crybabies:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upeLPWApt6w

worst thing i've seen ANY athlete do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPxQOvIWu3E&feature=related

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

worst thing i've seen ANY athlete do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPxQOvIWu3E&feature=related

i don't think that's the worst thing an athlete has done. mike tyson taking a bite out of holyfield comes to mind. although it was pretty bush league.

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

Claude Lemieux running Kris Draper's face into the top of the boards breaking his jaw and cheek-bones is the worst thing I've ever seen in hockey. I think he actually wanted to kill him. It's at the 56 second mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W-JXDu1X-I

tomEisenbraun

i've never not had fun at a Preds game...not a bad team to root for.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Angry Ewok

I was cheering for the Caps, last night... I picked them because their uniforms were patriotic looking. Plus they started a fight in the first 15 seconds of the game.

Their defense was awesome, but they couldn't seem to rebound the puck much.

Goalie was freakin' awesome. Dude was being shot at all freakin' game.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Jaimoe

QuoteI was cheering for the Caps, last night... I picked them because their uniforms were patriotic looking. Plus they started a fight in the first 15 seconds of the game.

Their defense was awesome, but they couldn't seem to rebound the puck much.

Goalie was freakin' awesome. Dude was being shot at all freakin' game.

The Capitals are appropriately all about the Stars and Stripes even if there's only a couple of Yanks on the team.

The Caps defense was pretty good last night (especially Green and Eminger), although Jurcina was fucking brutal once again.

That wasn't a fight. It was a scrum and is the scourge of playoff hockey. No one wants to fight because of the instigator penalty, so big scrums form where non-fighters  try to act tough without having to pay the consequences.

Huet was excellent. Both goalies played well. Ovechkin wasn't a factor once again. He's feeling the heat big time. I'm pulling for the Flyers even though Caps defenseman John Erskine is from my hometown of Kingston Ontario. I'm a big fan of most of the 15 Canadians on the current Flyers, especially Briere, Carter, the injured Simon Gagne, Braydon Coburn, Jason Smith, Scott Hartnell, Upshall and Mike Richards (the second coming of Bobby Clarke).

.Walt

Ovechkin wasn't a factor once again.

your boy gaborik wasn't a factor once again.  ;)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

pawpaw

QuoteWho should I cheer for if I want to be a hockey fan? The nearest team is Atlanta, but I've always wanted to go to a Redwings game, for some reason...

I need help.

HA! I've always thought hockey is pretty cool too, never made much of an effort to get into it though. And as far as I understand it, we've got a pretty good local team too, the San Jose Sharks. It still seems weird to me that we have a professional team, but I think they sell a lot of tickets, and I've read that their ownership group is willing to do what it takes to win (Brent Jones, the ex-49ers tight end, is one of them). And that guy Ricci at least looks like a hockey badass!

I'm going to try and watch some games. Who are some of the good players on the Sharks? Hopefully they can keep things going...
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jaimoe

QuoteWho should I cheer for if I want to be a hockey fan? The nearest team is Atlanta, but I've always wanted to go to a Redwings game, for some reason...

I need help.

HA! I've always thought hockey is pretty cool too, never made much of an effort to get into it though. And as far as I understand it, we've got a pretty good local team too, the San Jose Sharks. It still seems weird to me that we have a professional team, but I think they sell a lot of tickets, and I've read that their ownership group is willing to do what it takes to win (Brent Jones, the ex-49ers tight end, is one of them). And that guy Ricci at least looks like a hockey badass!

I'm going to try and watch some games. Who are some of the good players on the Sharks? Hopefully they can keep things going...

The Sharks are one of the most successful newer NHL franchises, with great fan and owner support. They have been one of the best teams in the Western Conference for at least 5 years and are a Cup contender this year (picked by many to win it all).

Mike Ricci was never a "badass", although he got under players and coaches' skins. He was an extremely high draft choice that had a solid NHL career (but he was an incredible junior player).

Some of San Jose's good players? Well, the team is loaded with talent. They have no weaknesses. Start with: Joe Thornton (one of the best players in the NHL for the past 7 or 8 years), Jonathan Cheechoo (goal scoring champ from 2005-06) , defenseman Brian Campbell, captain Patrick Marleau, Jeremy Roenick (nearing the end of his career, but he's the best American born forward ever to lace up the skates), Ryan Clowe (a star in the making and the best Sharks player in this playoffs). The Sharks have a young team too and they are all good players. That being said, Calgary matches up well with them and this series should go 7 games. Calgary has three players that are as good or better than any players on San Jose.