Louisville is for lovers..

Started by Jackie_Treehorn, Apr 30, 2008, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

I was hoping some of you natives could throw some recommendations for things to do in your fair city.  I know I can look some of this stuff up but what are some of things you would tell your friends they had to do while in town.  My only plans for now are the show and to go to the Brown for a "hot-brown".  

DD

how long will you be in town?

will you have a car?
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

tomEisenbraun

Is Genny's Diner still open? If so, you sort of have to go eat a famous Big Daddy burger along with the obligatory Frickled Pickle Chips.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteIs Genny's Diner still open? If so, you sort of have to go eat a famous Big Daddy burger along with the obligatory Frickled Pickle Chips.

is that a straw? can you drink it?
[size=10]seriously, it's probably just holding everything together[/size]

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

tomEisenbraun

It's there so you don't have to waste all that delicious hamburger run-off. Unfortunately, I didn't get the memo til afterward and my hands were coated in the stuff. Sort of a bummer?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Jon T.

Thanks for the suggestions!  My wife and I will be in Friday afternoon, staying until Sunday.  I will have a car (I actually just got a new Explorer and saw on the sticker that it was assembled there  :) )  So, not a whole lot of time but enough to do some stuff.  It was kind of a big deal to get my wife to agree to come so my key is to do some things that she will enjoy.  Gotta plant the seed for future endeavors.

I don't know what to think about that burger Tom.  I hope not to be hungover enough to actually take that thing on, but you never know.  Impressive though.

ycartrob

You should start at Ear-X-tacy and just walk up Bardstown Rd. It's a couple of miles of shops and resturants (not like strip mall type, but unique). My wife and I spend a couple of hours doing that and there's a lot to check out with all sorts of pit stops.

Jon T.

That sounds like our best option for sure.  We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott dowtown.  And according to the map we're only about a half inch away from Bardstown Rd.  I think I can handle that.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Yes!  Bardstown Road is the coolest.  If you don't have a car, cabs are really inexpensive here, and you're so close, it won't be much to pay to get there and back.

Some other highlights:

Mark's Feed Store - BBQ restaurant
Ditto's - Bistro style restaurant
The Outlook Inn - good watering hole
Flanagan's Ale House -BEER!
Wick's Pizza - home of the Big Wick
Highland Coffee Shop - good coffee,mmmmmmmmmm
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Jon T.

Reservations booked!
We are staying at the Downtown Marriott.  Not the Courtyard Marriott that I previously mentioned.  They're all the same to me as long as there is running water.  This is not true of my other...

Jon T.

How about any of the Bourbon distilleries?  Would anyone recommend one of those or is it kind of a waste?  

Thanks.

tower

QuoteHow about any of the Bourbon distilleries?  Would anyone recommend one of those or is it kind of a waste?  

Thanks.

The distilleries are probably an hour or so drive to the closest one from downtown Louisville.  http://www.kentuckybourbontrail.com/#  

4th Street Live is downtown near your hotel if you like the flashy "see and be seen" scene.  Bardstown Road is chock full of cool places to eat and see live music.

You can check out the LEO Plugged In http://leoweekly.com/?q=plugged-in  section for the bands playing, etc.

Friday night my band will be playing an unplugged set at Bearnos on Bardstown Rd., if you like jambands check out The Hideaway Saloon, and Stevie Ray's blues bar isn't far from your hotel.

Sat. night you could see a pretty damn good show at Headliners or venture over to Air Devils Inn for some honkytonk.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

Jon T.

Thanks for the input.  I'm coming in for the Waterfront show on 8/16.  So....plans are set for Saturday night.  We may walk through 4th St Live but I'd rather get a "feel" for the city than the touristy spots.  I will make an exception though for the bourbon!

tower

Oh, I was thinking you were coming in this weekend.  4th Street Live is way too commercial for my taste but if you're staying downtown its an easy walk.

Bardstown Rd. is definitely the best concentration of good times in my opinion.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

Jon T.

That seems to be the consensus.  Thanks!
I'd like to see the zoo.  We are both animal lovers but i just don't think we'll be there long enough.  I mean I think we would be better off doing something else than being at the zoo for a few hours.  We'll see.

Ghosts_on_TV

Yeah Bardstown Rd. is pretty sweet. Ramsi's is a pretty awesome place to eat. Rhyme not intended.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

BH

Yeah Bardstown Rd. is pretty sweet.
Ramsi's is a pretty awesome place to eat.
Rhyme not intended.
So don't be offended.  
It's the Loolville Shuffle Booohyyy! ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteYeah Bardstown Rd. is pretty sweet.
Ramsi's is a pretty awesome place to eat.
Rhyme not intended.
So don't be offended.  
It's the Loolville Shuffle Booohyyy! ;D

I actually contemplated starting a rap group with my friends some years ago. MC Crock Pot, thats what I wanted to call myself. 8-)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

BH

MC Crock Pot!  Classic! ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.