Occupations?

Started by Bigsky, Jun 18, 2008, 09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Cooper

QuoteFuneral Director-Louisville, Kentucky

Well Love Dog, I am an obit writer for a newspaper in Michigan. I may have called you up sometime. I call funeral homes from all over.

Happy job indeed :'(
Thank goodness for MMJ to keep me uplifted!!

I don't know if we have ever talked or not, but this death business is a little different, huh?  Most people just don't understand...but why should they?
No we haven't talked, but I am familiar with your comments on the boards. I just recently signed up but I have been lurking here for years.

Everyone asks me how I can "do the obits." I didn't think I had it in me but I have been working with families and funeral homes for a few years now and I actually enjoy it. If I can make a very difficult time a little easier then I have done my job. There sure are some tough days though - you probably see it way, way more than I do. I have learned a lot, that's for sure. Thinking about mortality on a daily basis can be daunting sometimes. I have talked to people from all over the world and learned a lot about a lot of different things. I consider that an education it itself.

Positive thoughts are being sent your way Love Dog!

just lovely

Speaking of...I'm an RN in a pediatric ICU. Really sad and hard stuff, day in and day out, but I wouldn't rather do anything else. Thank goodness for this music though.

Any other nurses?

EvilGirl

Could someone put a link for the age thread?  I couldn't find it anywhere..thanks

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1211507610
Thanks..glad I'm not the oldest!  I work as a Legal Secretary, pretty boring but it keeps me in beer and festivals  :)

tomEisenbraun

For some reason I forgot to put down on here that I work at Borders in the Seattle's Best Coffee cafe side of things. I make your drink. Don't order like we're Starbucks. Javakula is not pronounced jah-vah-chill-er. You have no idea how big difference that $0.17 change makes at the end of the day. People who tip $2 for a cup of coffee are beautiful people who deserve big thanks. We don't really deserve that much for pouring you a small cup of coffee, but you dole it out day after day out of some merciful charitable bone in your body. You are beautiful, sir.

I know way more than I ever needed to know about coffee (just try me on decaffeination), and smell strongly of espresso when I get home (not as fun as you might hope), but it's money and I'm college and need whatever help I can to keep my head above gas money.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

QuoteI'm college and need whatever help I can to keep my head above gas money.

Tom, I just see you on one of these

DavidCrosby

...I am 22 and I am the only employee at an indie record store in Brookfield, CT and I do everything there pretty much while one of the owners leaves and go to Starbucks and the other is just not there too much....but I love talking about music all day and just chilling in a record store.....
listen to vinyl

ycartrob

Quote...I am 22 and I am the only employee at an indie record store in Brookfield, CT and I do everything there pretty much while one of the owners leaves and go to Starbucks and the other is just not there too much....but I love talking about music all day and just chilling in a record store.....

couple of things  haven't yet done in my life. One is work at a record store. I'd like to do that.

And deliver the mail. That will be cool to do. And play in the NBA, but I don't think that's going to pan out.

Bigsky

Quote...I am 22 and I am the only employee at an indie record store in Brookfield, CT and I do everything there pretty much while one of the owners leaves and go to Starbucks and the other is just not there too much....but I love talking about music all day and just chilling in a record store.....

couple of things  haven't yet done in my life. One is work at a record store. I'd like to do that.

And deliver the mail. That will be cool to do. And play in the NBA, but I don't think that's going to pan out.
There is always the WNBA...

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI'm college and need whatever help I can to keep my head above gas money.

Tom, I just see you on one of these

Like this one?

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

mtngurl

I'm a Domestic Goddess and a SAHM.  In my secret life I'm a MMJ Fangirl!  
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

SMc55

For the first time ever, I'm making more money off of freelance art and design than I do at my full time job.

That's great!! I'm proud of you Brad.

I teach science, including Forensics.

Bouwe

Software engineer, Groningen, The Netherlands

WSS2

this thread is pretty interesting...is there a newer one?

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: WSS2 on Oct 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
this thread is pretty interesting...is there a newer one?

Now that I've met a whole bunch of people and can place names to faces it might be interessting to see what everyone does when they aren't at MMJ shows.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

davymac

Quote from: wharf rat on Jun 20, 2008, 02:04 PM
QuoteGeographer also, specializing in creating Geographic Information Systems (GIS).  
Kory, my fellow geographer, what kind of work do you do in the field?

Ha! As you can understand, I usually don't mention GIS when telling someone what I do. It's a bit hard to explain.
We implement GIS for municipalities as well as full service GIS work involving anything someone will pay us for. A lot of stormwater mapping, wastewater mapping as well as stream restoration and various other odds and ins.
I work in the Louisville, KY area for what was a local Engineering firm that was recently acquired by an international company called Stantec out of Canada. Where do you work wharf?

Yep, I usually get a bunch of head nodding and blank stares when I launch into an explanation of what I do.  Been in the field 12 years now and my mom still thinks I "do GSI".  I was actually thinking you might be a GIS'er when you left such a short description on your post.
I used to work for a local firm when I lived in Wilmington, NC that did nothing but property parcel conversion taking hard copy tax maps and converting to GIS.  Have been in Athens, OH for the last 9 years working for a non-profit, grant/word of mouth contract funded entity that is part of Ohio University's School of Arts/Sciences.  We run the gamut, much like you, but have been heavy in hosting ArcIMS sites the last several years for local watershed groups, municipalities, etc.   
We've recently received some funds to do some raster modeling, which is a nice change, since most of our work and data is vector-based. 

Hey, I just learned about GIS and it makes my head spin hah..

Im a 5th year Landscape Architect student at the University of Georgia...any other LA's on the forum?

Hawkeye

Still a Tech Support representative for a large lab-equipment company (I think the largest?).  Probably going to stay on here until I get my MBA (just starting)...they're paying up to $10k a year towards it so I might as well take advantage!  We'll see from there...still hoping to get into brewing some day, if there's decent/good money in it.  B.S. in Chemistry.
We could.

iLikeBeer

I'm self-employed after buying out my father's 3 laundromats nearly 3 years ago.  You can call me George Jefferson...    :P  :beer:

WSS2

where are you doing your MBA?  In the midst of the application process... a.k.a. my second job

currently work at a firm that raises financing for transportation assets... everything that's big and moves (ships, containers, rail-cars, barges, etc.).  Get to see some pretty cool stuff ...

aMillionDreams

I guess its time to update. I quit teaching elementary to become a full time brewer.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Oct 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
I guess its time to update. I quit teaching elementary to become a full time brewer.

I didn't know we had a brewer in our midst! Did you start your own or working for a local place or what?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.