Occupations?

Started by Bigsky, Jun 18, 2008, 09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

Serigraph Artist & Printer at a local publishing company owned by a sports artist. He makes a big oil painting of Tiger Woods, then it's my job to reproduce the oil painting into a silk screened format.

I also frame all of the artwork. I am the shipping department. I am the webmaster. I am the receptionist. I am the cleaning lady. I do everything at my office when I'm not in the studio.

When I get off work, I get straight to work on my own art. For the first time ever, I'm making more money off of freelance art and design than I do at my full time job. That's a great feeling, but also bittersweet as it is very obvious I need to find a better job somewhere.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Goat Boy

I work in the oil and gas industry as a planning engineer.  I'm a contract worker so I go where the money is.  I'm working for Shell at the moment.  zzzzzzzzzzz...

weeniebeenie

I work for a freight company. It is the most boring thing in the world. I have so much useless information stored in my brain because of it like postcodes of places I've never been and when other countries have public holidays. I'm looking for a new job.
How loud can silence get?

Love Dogg

QuoteSerigraph Artist & Printer at a local publishing company owned by a sports artist. He makes a big oil painting of Tiger Woods, then it's my job to reproduce the oil painting into a silk screened format.

I also frame all of the artwork. I am the shipping department. I am the webmaster. I am the receptionist. I am the cleaning lady. I do everything at my office when I'm not in the studio.

When I get off work, I get straight to work on my own art. For the first time ever, I'm making more money off of freelance art and design than I do at my full time job. That's a great feeling, but also bittersweet as it is very obvious I need to find a better job somewhere.

Where can we go to look at your work?  Website, maybe?
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

TheBigChicken

Quotepartner in the family printing company my pops started years ago. it's boring as fuck.
at least you sound grateful :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Jernigan

I am a quality inspector for Bombardier/Learjet.

I currently am a quarantine focal, for all the bad parts
that come into the facility...i.e. damaged, non conforming paperwork...
I'm keeping the sky's safe for you guys....well, on the regional jet side anyhow.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Right now I am living my life on the run.  No home.  Just me, my dog and the sweet tunes of My Morning Jacket to guide me to my next home.  

I am a traveler/poet/friend...would like to someday teach!
God damn those shaky knees.

searchinbig

Fool.  :D
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

wharf rat

Geographer also, specializing in creating Geographic Information Systems (GIS).  
Kory, my fellow geographer, what kind of work do you do in the field?

mjkoehler

QuoteSupply Chain/Business Analyst for a very large petfood company located in a central town that also has a very identifiable beer company and a silver half hoop looking think sticking up out of the ground like a handle on the riverfront.  :P

That is my favourite monument you know.......
I see it everyday. I love that everytime I drive by it I sing Deep River like Clark Griswald then tell the kids to Roll 'Em Up. I just get blank stares from the back seat. I love that they light it up at night now.

Haldon

QuoteStudying for the Florida Bar Exam right now...Just finished law school...begin working as a criminal defense attorney in Miami at the beginning of August

Stop now.  It is not too late.  (If you choose to continue, there's a guy who comes to Stetson every year and predicts what is going to be on the bar every year - he nailed it my year and is the sole reason that I passed.  I've been trying to find his name and I am coming up blank).

Lawyer - Florida.

Really? wow...i just graduated from Stetson...was his last name Sandon?  he does a lot of bar prep stuff here....i'm definitely looking for this bar stuff to be over...putting in 13 hour days consistently...RCMH is my one break from studying...can't wait

TheBigChicken

QuoteSupply Chain/Business Analyst for a very large petfood company located in a central town that also has a very identifiable beer company and a silver half hoop looking think sticking up out of the ground like a handle on the riverfront.  :P

I see it everyday. I love that everytime I drive by it I sing Deep River like Clark Griswald then tell the kids to Roll 'Em Up. I just get blank stares from the back seat. I love that they light it up at night now.
They treated me like a dog Mr.Wally ;D ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Kory

QuoteGeographer also, specializing in creating Geographic Information Systems (GIS).  
Kory, my fellow geographer, what kind of work do you do in the field?

Ha! As you can understand, I usually don't mention GIS when telling someone what I do. It's a bit hard to explain.
We implement GIS for municipalities as well as full service GIS work involving anything someone will pay us for. A lot of stormwater mapping, wastewater mapping as well as stream restoration and various other odds and ins.
I work in the Louisville, KY area for what was a local Engineering firm that was recently acquired by an international company called Stantec out of Canada. Where do you work wharf?
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

Penny Lane

They treated me like a dog Mr.Wally ;D ;D

I'm going steady..AND i french kiss..my daddy says i'm the best at it.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ratchetisfake

i am a residential youth counselor. resent graduate of a double bachelors degree in social work and psychology.
going to the university of louisville's kent school graduate studies of social work in the fall.
so i am a therapist for little kids, in other words.
:D
who fanned the fire that burned down the lake?

Penny Lane

Quotei am a residential youth counselor. resent graduate of a double bachelors degree in social work and psychology.
going to the university of louisville's kent school graduate studies of social work in the fall.
so i am a therapist for little kids, in other words.
:D

hey! good luck to you. i got my MSW, too. very rewarding but tough career.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bowl of soup

QuoteStudying for the Florida Bar Exam right now...Just finished law school...begin working as a criminal defense attorney in Miami at the beginning of August

Stop now.  It is not too late.  (If you choose to continue, there's a guy who comes to Stetson every year and predicts what is going to be on the bar every year - he nailed it my year and is the sole reason that I passed.  I've been trying to find his name and I am coming up blank).

Lawyer - Florida.

Really? wow...i just graduated from Stetson...was his last name Sandon?  he does a lot of bar prep stuff here....i'm definitely looking for this bar stuff to be over...putting in 13 hour days consistently...RCMH is my one break from studying...can't wait

I was tearing through my old bar stuff, but I couldn't find his name.  I think you have the right name.  He gave a 4 hour talk and told us that there would be a family law question on the test and that we could take it to the bank.  Sure enough, one of the Florida essay questions was this complex adoption/ divorce question - I had never taken a single family law class but spent about a third of my time doing nothing but Florida family law.

13 hour days is way more than I could ever pull.  I got diminishing returns in about hour 3.  I did Micromash and liked it.  Sample question after sample question after sample question....
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ycartrob

MSW's unite! I am currently working on my LCSW (licensure for clinical social work) as a therapist in a residential program for homeless addicts.

cantrell-r

School teacher--6th grade science and social studies.  Love it!  I bring in music (my music, not Jonas Bros. or Hannah Montana) for the kids every once in a while--they need education outside of the academic realm, anyway.  I've gotten a few to buy into the Jacket, but i've only taught four years...there's still time.

brkndwnbus

Currently, I am a writer for a local paper here in Pennsylvania. All of this will change when I move back to Maryland and find something new.