My Morning Jacket; In To The Woods

Started by Bigsky, Jun 04, 2008, 12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fkinbs

The thrill of songs like "They Ran" or "Butch Cassidy" is the haunting loneliness in each of them

I'm not sure I agree with your full post because I love delving into artists as much as possible to see where they were coming from when they wrote .... whatever.  Luckily I haven't ruined any artist for myself like you have mentioned.  The mystique still remains I suppose to some extent because I still don't truly know the artists as people.

But I point out your post because I love that line that you wrote.  Not even necessarily for those songs either, but I think that sums up Jim James' writing for me.  Well done.
but talk is often cheap and filled with air

Bigsky

TBW...is that the end of the book? What happens to Jim Jimmy James?

Love Dogg

QuoteTBW...is that the end of the book? What happens to Jim Jimmy James?

Then, little Jim Jimmy James's reflection picked up a guitar and taught Jimmy Jim James to play and write and sing.  Then he melted faces for the rest of his existence.  THE END.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

buymycar

Uh oh...stalemate.  His reflection wants him to come into the closet...hmmmm...is his reflection trying to tell him something?  heh

Thanks for the latest installment, tbw.

kev

Quote...but I don't know if that'd enhance the music, or spoil the magic...

...I think the need for that comes from stripping away and digging away at the music trying to find the soul inside of it, but by shedding it back so far, we lose an essence of it that's irreclaimable...

Totally agree, the mystique and finding your own meaning is what is so great about music and songs.  I have had the same thing happen to me with one of my most favorite songs ever by DMB, #41.  Once I read what the meaning behind most of it was, it was wayyyyy different from what I had envisioned and it took a long time to try and forget what he was singing about when I heard it and go back to enjoying what I thought it was about.  

easy way

Nice V! That shit is hot. I'm loving this story. Eating cookies to calm my nerves now...

On topic though... I enjoy the overall mystique, but have also found great inspiration in what I do know about the history of the band and of certain song meanings. The way that I see it... I will know what I need to when I need to in order to evolve through the Jacket.

Maybe a comic book first...or a pop up book!
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

buymycar

Oh no!  Poor guy is having a schism with his reflection.  I hope that they can reconcile!

Who knew that a kid's book could be so deep psychologically?

BH

The flying V is a wonderful touch tbw.  Verrr niiiiice!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Bigsky

TBW...thank you. I love the flying V

Penny Lane

Just caught up and read this thread!! i'm on the edge of my seat!! pre-beard Jim!  
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

whyteand82nd

HAH what an awesome-yet kinda sad book.
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

B.B.

This thread is awesome but it needs an update.  The tension is killing me!

easy way

Yeah. Is that the end of the story or what? I'm scared... :-/
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

buymycar

Uh oh!  Is he going to ditch his reflection now?  He can't stand to hang with his reflection, so therefore, he can't stand to hang with himself?

Am I reading too much into it?  Damn you, Freud!

Sometimes a flying v is just a flying v.

sweatboard

I'ts all starting to come together now, "sittin here with me and mine, all wrapped up in a bottle of wine, little we can do, I'm going to play my moms vagina now"
There's Still Time.........

easy way

Eeeeeeeeeeee!!! Yeah, that's right...is that a picture of D.C. riding a horse in the mountains? Get 'um!  ;)

Willplaysguitar

QuoteJim wrote some pretty freakin' weird fiction, back in the day. I think he ought to get back into that.
Where can i find this?