Kudo's to China!

Started by AngryEwok, Jul 11, 2008, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

Beijing has asked hotels and restaurants in the city to take dog meat off the menu for the duration of next month's Olympics and September's Paralympics.

Dog is eaten not only by the large Korean community in China's capital but is also popular in Yunnan and Guizhou restaurants.

A directive from the Beijing Food Safety Office issued last month ordered Olympic contractor hotels not to provide any dishes made with dog meat and said any canine material used in traditional medicated diets must be clearly labeled.

Concerned that canine dishes might offend animal rights groups and Western visitors, Beijing said restaurants expected to be popular among foreign visitors must stop serving dog meat "to respect the dining customs of different countries."

The directive "advocated" that all restaurants serving dog suspend it during the Olympics but made no mention of the many popular establishments with donkey on the menu.

Criticism from Westerners caused the dog meat-loving South Koreans to ban canine dishes for a period of time during the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

(Reporting by Liu Zhen; Editing by Nick Mulvenney and Jeremy Laurence)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Taterbug

Thats to bad.  I was hoping to order me up some Chihuahua on a stick with a side of donkey tartare.   :P

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Crispy

What about the deep-fried baby chicks? Won't somebody think of the chicks?

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Angry Ewok

I think deer steaks are about as exotic as I get... Mmm... that's good ol' country boy eatin' right there.

bowl of soup

I just ate your dog.  And he was good.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Angry Ewok

Is there a species of dog large enough to feed that child?

fitzcarraldo

Angry Ewok

Holy shit... that's like the dog from Sandlot!

Coltrane

YOU"RE KILLIN' ME SMALLS!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

we're gonna be china's slaves we're gonna be china's slaves.