Droppin some poundage

Started by eiseyrokker, Jul 23, 2008, 07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteI've lost 30 pounds in 8 weeks or so. I look much better, I think.

very nice. what have you been doing? taken any comparison pictures?

My clients assure me that an all-cosuming meth addiction will do the trick.  You'll probably lose teeth in addition to pounds, so there's a trade-off.

yep, my clients call it the "stem fast" diet; Guarantees you a whole new lifestyle on many different levels.

Penny Lane

My clients assure me that an all-cosuming meth addiction will do the trick.  You'll probably lose teeth in addition to pounds, so there's a trade-off.
yeah meth is always good for weight loss--if you lose your teeth then it's harder to eat so that's good--you also lose weight because your skin starts coming off in blotches and everyone knows skin is the biggest organ...you should really try coke for weight loss---and it's fun at parties and you'll always get invited back
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angry Ewok

I haven't looked for any good comparison shots, yet, but I've lost 4 inches off of my waist... so it definitely shows. I've been on the Bariatric program, which is basically a supervised fast - yes, I am eating, but I have to eat their food, which isn't very good, but it obviously works. I've been working out a lot, even when I got sidelined with a sprained ankle, and I think I'm finally starting to feel healthier. It's awesome.

Penny, I could NEVER run a marathon - you are herculean in spirit, my friend!
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

mjkoehler

I haven't looked for any good comparison shots, yet, but I've lost 4 inches off of my waist... so it definitely shows. I've been on the Bariatric program, which is basically a supervised fast - yes, I am eating, but I have to eat their food, which isn't very good, but it obviously works. I've been working out a lot, even when I got sidelined with a sprained ankle, and I think I'm finally starting to feel healthier. It's awesome.

You can Brad. Start with 1/2 Marathons. if you can do 8-10 miles, you can do 13. It took me about 8 months before I felt that I could do one. 1/2's really aren't too bad and they give you an obtainable goal.

Penny Lane

You can Brad. Start with 1/2 Marathons. if you can do 8-10 miles, you can do 13. It took me about 8 months before I felt that I could do one. 1/2's really aren't too bad and they give you an obtainable goal.

or you could start w/a 5K, then 10K--then half---it's very doable---it's all MENTAL--a good playlist helps the training runs, too--you don't have to run fast!

mjkoehler

or you could start w/a 5K, then 10K--then half---it's very doable---it's all MENTAL--a good playlist helps the training runs, too--you don't have to run fast!
Good point. Last 1/2 I ran, I did it in 2 hours. I was in no hurry. Start with 5 or 10 K's. They are fairly easy.

ms. yvon

what an inspiring thread!

i used to work out with a trainer a couple times a week.  it's not in the checkbook these days, so i'm looking a bit of a sloth.

tomorrow i'm going to get on the bike early!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Angry Ewok

Quotea good playlist helps the training runs, too--you don't have to run fast!

I listen to Chris Cornell when I'm on my walk.

:-/
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

mjkoehler

SUCCESS! I found some really good (and by good I mean really bad before pictures). I remember people at workin thinking i was sick for a while. I didn't understand why. Looking through the pictures, now I understand why. Jeez o pete did I chunk up. I'll post some tonight or tomorrow once I figure out how to use my scanner. i.e. I can convince my wife to scan them.

vespachick

QuotePenny, I could NEVER run a marathon - you are herculean in spirit, my friend!

Angry Ewok, If I ran a marathon anybody on this planet can run a marathon.  Truly.  Baby steps will in fact (eventually) get you there, that and having training buddies always helps!  Nothing like showing up for the Saturday morning group run and not being prepared to make you get your act together mid-week!  I used the Galloway Method  which is a run/walk combo.  For my *cough* ability, I was told I should run for 4 minutes, then walk for 1 minute. It works and it's much less painful than you might think!

In case anybody's interested here's a link to Galloway's website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

PS - Good for you Christine, which are you running?
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Penny Lane

QuotePenny, I could NEVER run a marathon - you are herculean in spirit, my friend!

Angry Ewok, If I ran a marathon anybody on this planet can run a marathon.  Truly.  Baby steps will in fact (eventually) get you there, that and having training buddies always helps!  Nothing like showing up for the Saturday morning group run and not being prepared to make you get your act together mid-week!  I used the Galloway Method  which is a run/walk combo.  For my *cough* ability, I was told I should run for 4 minutes, then walk for 1 minute. It works and it's much less painful than you might think!

In case anybody's interested here's a link to Galloway's website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

PS - Good for you Christine, which are you running?

oh man! i love jeff galloway. My dad (CC coach) has a huge framed autographed poster of his.  i've read some of his stuff. vespa-that's awesome --. --it's such a test of mental fortitude. what is the SF marathon like?  i'm going to do Columbus in Nov; it's pretty flat and fast. (although i'm neither so we'll see LOL) i  agree the training is the hardest yet most rewarding thing, i'm kind of a loner anyway, so i prefer to train alone. we should get a jacket training thread going ;-)

vespachick

Dude, you couldn't pay me to run the SF marathon, not that I know for sure, but I'd imagine it's quite hilly.  I've been told the Big Sur Marathon is a bear because of the number of hills!! I've done 3 marathons in total (plus a bunch that I've signed up for and then didn't do) :-[ : a "training" marathon of a mere 26 miles (no .2) through the hills of Griffith Park in LA; the Mardi Gras Marathon in NoLa; and the Honolulu Marathon.  Flat flat flat.  Me likey that way!!  These were all back in 2004 and I've been trying to get motivated to another one ever since... :'(

Taterbug

WOW.... All you healthy fitness types.  I wish I could get motivated to exercise.  The only marathon I can do is the GENE SIMMONS FAMILY JEWELS on sunday afternoons.  
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Penny Lane

QuoteDude, you couldn't pay me to run the SF marathon, not that I know for sure, but I'd imagine it's quite hilly.  I've been told the Big Sur Marathon is a bear because of the number of hills!! I've done 3 marathons in total (plus a bunch that I've signed up for and then didn't do) :-[ : a "training" marathon of a mere 26 miles (no .2) through the hills of Griffith Park in LA; the Mardi Gras Marathon in NoLa; and the Honolulu Marathon.  Flat flat flat.  Me likey that way!!  These were all back in 2004 and I've been trying to get motivated to another one ever since... :'(

Tater- ;D

vespa--have you read "ultramarathon man" (dean karnazes)? THAT will motivate you. i think we should train to do an ultra marathon--i would love to at some point. i can imagine the SF is super hilly--i've only done cols, cleveland and NYC--just pick up that book--you will be out the door at 6am bright and early the next day. you have perfect weather for it out there, too!!

vespachick

Here ya go, try this one: http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/about.html
The Marathon des Sables, the most insane run I've heard of.  My brother in law did this one a couple of years ago.  But he's totally crazy (in a good way!)

"It covers 243km/151 miles (in sections similar to 25, 34, 38, 82, 42, 22 km) run over 6 days (7 for some) - equivalent to 5 1/2 regular marathons. That's a speed of between 3 and 14 km an hour for competitors aged between 16 and 78). In addition to that, competitors have to carry everything they will need for the duration (apart from a tent) on their backs in a rucksack (food, clothes, medical kit, sleeping bag etc). Water is rationed and handed out at each checkpoint."

"You will have to prepare all your own food throughout the race and I warn you that there is not a chain of Tesco stores or corner grocery shops dotted around the Sahara. You will experience mid-day temperatures of up to 120°F, of running or walking on uneven rocky, stony ground as well as 15 - 20% of the distance being in sand dunes."

:o :o :o

Penny Lane

QuoteHere ya go, try this one: http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/about.html
The Marathon des Sables, the most insane run I've heard of.  My brother in law did this one a couple of years ago.  But he's totally crazy (in a good way!)

"It covers 243km/151 miles (in sections similar to 25, 34, 38, 82, 42, 22 km) run over 6 days (7 for some) - equivalent to 5 1/2 regular marathons. That's a speed of between 3 and 14 km an hour for competitors aged between 16 and 78). In addition to that, competitors have to carry everything they will need for the duration (apart from a tent) on their backs in a rucksack (food, clothes, medical kit, sleeping bag etc). Water is rationed and handed out at each checkpoint."

"You will have to prepare all your own food throughout the race and I warn you that there is not a chain of Tesco stores or corner grocery shops dotted around the Sahara. You will experience mid-day temperatures of up to 120°F, of running or walking on uneven rocky, stony ground as well as 15 - 20% of the distance being in sand dunes."

:o :o :o

wow-every day i see a new level of insanity--ultramarathon man's got nothing on that. that is CRAZY and probably physically impossible for most people--your bro-n-law is an animal!