Can I Camp On Your Couch?

Started by eiseyrokker, Oct 16, 2008, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

So a good friend of mine are thinking ambitiously about what to do with our final spring break of our college lives. You know, that one where you try and desperately find some semblance of beauty before you hit the grind and turn into a man and have to figure out all the really heavy stuff. Should be good. Should be spiritual. Should be a hell of a bonding experience.

Anyways, here's the thought:
Fly from Atlanta to San Francisco and then take the Starlight Express up from SF to Portland (maybe Eugene if someone has a couch or tent/yard combo they'd like to offer there) and onward to Seattle. I'd love to venture off into the city and/or the country around there, but neither of us have been to the area before. I'd love to hear any suggestions, but even more than that, I'd love to meet up with some fellow northwestern Pacific Jacketeers and share the beauty for that. Extra bonus if you'd like to let us sleep on your couch. We're clean, well-kempt individuals (though I can't promise this won't happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpm4Muo7aGA).

Anyways, I'd love to hear thoughts on the area, suggestions for things in and around the city, and if anyone would like to put up a couple college kids for a night or two, we will be infinitely gracious to you.

That's the power of love,
Tom
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

the_wizzard

QuoteSo a good friend of mine are thinking ambitiously about what to do with our final spring break of our college lives. You know, that one where you try and desperately find some semblance of beauty before you hit the grind and turn into a man and have to figure out all the really heavy stuff. Should be good. Should be spiritual. Should be a hell of a bonding experience.

Fly from Atlanta to San Francisco and then take the Starlight Express up from SF to Portland (maybe Eugene if someone has a couch or tent/yard combo they'd like to offer there) and onward to Seattle. I'd love to venture off into the city and/or the country around there, but neither of us have been to the area before. I'd love to hear any suggestions, but even more than that, I'd love to meet up with some fellow northwestern Pacific Jacketeers and share the beauty for that. Extra bonus if you'd like to let us sleep on your couch. We're clean, well-kempt individuals (though I can't promise this won't happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpm4Muo7aGA).

Anyways, I'd love to hear thoughts on the area, suggestions for things in and around the city, and if anyone would like to put up a couple college kids for a night or two, we will be infinitely gracious to you.

Tom

Give me some time to think about the must see sights of Oregon and Washington (I lived in Oly, WA for awhile too).  Anything you have in mind?  Will you be into renting a car?

BH

;D  Nice video!

Sounds like a blast Tom!  I'm envious.

My only advise, taken from personal experience, would be to just not build it up too much.   Don't think of it as your "final" freedom, or the last week of your life to have fun.   It couldn't live up to that anyway.  It's just another great week in the rest of your life!  Things have only just begun for you Tom!

And gosh darn it....  How sappy am I?  I've been drinking. :-X
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteSo a good friend of mine are thinking ambitiously about what to do with our final spring break of our college lives. You know, that one where you try and desperately find some semblance of beauty before you hit the grind and turn into a man and have to figure out all the really heavy stuff. Should be good. Should be spiritual. Should be a hell of a bonding experience.

Tom

Give me some time to think about the must see sights of Oregon and Washington (I lived in Oly, WA for awhile too).  Anything you have in mind? Will you be into renting a car?

Doubtful bc you need to be 25 to rent a car

Probably the worst law going these days

Have a great time Tom, but trust me, its a hard turn going from college life to work life
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tomEisenbraun

My only advise, taken from personal experience, would be to just not build it up too much.   Don't think of it as your "final" freedom, or the last week of your life to have fun.   It couldn't live up to that anyway.  It's just another great week in the rest of your life!  Things have only just begun for you Tom!

Oh totally! It's not my final freedom at all, man--really looking forward to getting out of school and being free to wander about the country learning everything there is to know about luthiery. I am really stoked about looking at this as a cool opportunity to find a new part of the country and to experience it with a really solid friend. Not a finding myself trip or anything, just a wonderful jaunt through a beautiful part of the country if we can get the funds up.

Looking forward to the suggestions!

(I'm totally embarking on the quest of the "Year Beard" by the way...)

tower

I've taken the Amtrak from Sacramento up to Seattle and back...very cool.  You might also consider doing the trip across from Denver to SF...I've done that a few times and I absolutely love it!  It's not bad heading west to Denver but it really gets cool going through the mountains, high plains, desert stuff.  And the cool thing is you can just watch and hang out, no place to go but your going places.

Anyway, in San Fran if you dig margarita's you should absolutely check out Tommy's Mexican on Geary http://www.tommystequila.com/ and if you're looking for tips of stuff to do in the San Fran area let me know, I used to live in Napa and my bro in San Fran for 3 years.  I miss it terribly.

Oh, and I'm jealous too...I have an 18 month old and another one on on the way in Dec. and my days of doing stuff like this is long gone.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

vespachick

You guys are welcome on my couch/floor in PDX; possibly I could hook you up in Eugene at my parents if I can convince them you're not psychotic (which I don't believe you are Tom!! ;)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ms. yvon

tom, this sounds fantastic!  what a great trip you'll have!

key pacific northwest bits:  beer.  coffee.  trees.  rivers.  music.

also, if you're keen:  minor league baseball!  portland has a team (beavers, same name as OU, but different team) with a rad little ballpark right downtown.

one of my favorite ways to spend time in portland is at the laurelhurst theatre:  2nd run movies and retrospectives AND they serve GREAT pizza AND beer on tap.  you take your food and beer into the theatre where they've provided counters at each row of seats for eating.

i love love love it.

*swoon*
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

wharf rat

Tom,

First off, have a great trip.  My sister in law and her man just moved out to Portland about a year and a half ago and my wife and I took our two boys out this past summer for our first visit.  Man, what a beautiful place you're in out there Vespachick!
Anyway, with only a week and two youngsters in tow, we didn't get out too much in the way of hiking/backpacking like we would have liked, but I can recommend one hike for sure.  If you can get there, head up to Larch Mt.   If you have the time and ability (unfortunately we couldn't) for a nice day hike, head out to Multnomah Falls, which is a very touristy place to see, but gorgeous nonetheless.  I was told by my sis in law that there is about a 4 hour hike from Multnomah Falls to Larch Mt.  As I said, we couldn't do the hike, but we did make the drive from the falls to Larch Mt parking area.  From the parking area, it was a short hike up to the peak.  Words can't do it justice once you're up there.  Mt. Adams, Jefferson, Rainier, St. Helen's and Hood are all visible once you're at the peak of Larch.  Very breathtaking indeed.
Other things we did, and again, we had to choose activities that were kid-centric, included taking a day trip out to Cannon Beach, then south to the Tillamook Creamery for some tasty ice cream.  I would also recommend the Farmer's Market dowtown on the campus of Portland State.   We went on a Saturday morning, not sure if they have it other days.  Lots of tasty foods, local musicians, etc.
And finally, to echo others, the beer.......Man there are so many quality local, craft-brewed beers out there, my only regret was not being able to stay longer and sample more!
Hope this gives you a few ideas.

tomEisenbraun

Thanks everybody! Man, I can't wait to get out there!

And Vespa, do check your PM box!

ms. yvon

hey, warf, reading your description of that hike gave me a chill.  sounds wonderful!  i'm going to get that in on my next good weather visit!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

vespachick

And as it turns out, my new place is closer to .5 miles to the nearest bus stop!  (But don't worry, my vespa comes with 2 helmets; but I cannot guarantee that you will not feel like an uber-nerd wearing either of them!! [smiley=thumbup.gif]
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

tomEisenbraun

And as it turns out, my new place is closer to .5 miles to the nearest bus stop!  (But don't worry, my vespa comes with 2 helmets; but I cannot guarantee that you will not feel like an uber-nerd wearing either of them!! [smiley=thumbup.gif]

[smiley=thumbup.gif] indeed! Did I mention that you are the awesomest?

wharf rat

Yeah, Ms.Y, one regret was not being able to enjoy more of the natural environment out there (although the boys really enjoyed the Portland Zoo also.  They've done a great job of creating the zoo to blend with the existing landscape, very nice indeed).  But that's what future trips are for.  Plus, our boys will be older and they already love hiking and adventuring outdoors.  Enjoy your time when you next get out there!

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Taxman

Couch surfing looks pretty badass... ;)

I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver