Top Ten Irritating Phrases

Started by AngryEwok, Nov 07, 2008, 11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

I think my least favorite "phrase" is the misuse of whenever in place of when. "Whenever" is a recurring or non-specific temporal reference. "When" has specifics involved. If you're telling me about your sister visiting you that one particular time last week, it is not "Whenever my sister came over last weekend." This one seriously drives me batshit crazy.

Also, when I moved to Chicago, I had never heard "I know, right?" before. It got me into a tizzy for a while.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

purvis9876

QuoteI think my least favorite "phrase" is the misuse of whenever in place of when. "Whenever" is a recurring or non-specific temporal reference. "When" has specifics involved. If you're telling me about your sister visiting you that one particular time last week, it is not "Whenever my sister came over last weekend." This one seriously drives me batshit crazy.

Also, when I moved to Chicago, I had never heard "I know, right?" before. It got me into a tizzy for a while.

I always have trouble when it comes to knowing which instances use "farther" and which use "further".  :-/
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

mjkoehler

kyjed48

I hate when people speak in questions and then answer themselves.  I've noticed a lot of commentators doing this on the news lately.

Example: "Is the financial bailout really going to stimulate the economy?  Of course it is." "But, does anyone know the answer? Not particularly"

Damn that gets annoying!

[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

ManNamedTruth

I'm a cook and so I hate the phrase "their food was ice cold" witch is pretty much impossible. Ice cold is the most exaggerated phrase.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjkoehler

"throwing (insert someones name here) under the bus"

I fucking here this all the time at work.

Jon T.

MMJ_fanatic

"Cheatriots"
"Patsies"
and all the other jealous, fallacious bile spewed by haters of the New England Patriots--THE TEAM OF THE 21ST CENTURY--because they can't accept how dominant they've been!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

purvis9876

"So on and so forth"
I would rather people just say etcetera.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Taterbug

" your services are no longer needed"  
" bail out "

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Taterbug

" punchin the clown "   aka - jerkin off
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe