believe it or not

Started by purvis9876, Dec 20, 2008, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purvis9876

Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

purvis9876

Quotehttp://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:oKa3B9UsNS72oM:homegrownmusic.net%2Fimages%2Fymsb.jpg
My comp. Is messed up. Its the story about dock Ellis, padres pitcher in 1970, who claims to have thrown a no- hitter on acid.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Jellyfish

I have heard about this,there's a pic somewhere showing his eyes while making a pitch and he looks like the devil.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

red

QuoteI have heard about this,there's a pic somewhere showing his eyes while making a pitch and he looks like the devil.
oh man, i'd love to see that!  this story has been one of my favourites for a while now.  

ycartrob

The correct expression would be "Trippin' strikes"

as opposed to trippin' balls...

red

BH

QuoteThe correct expression would be "Trippin' strikes"

as opposed to trippin' balls...

;D Nice.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Dude, purvis, that's a weird assorement of pictures that link spits out too!

Anyway...

I have heard about this story before, it's pretty awesome...

http://www.sirbacon.org/4membersonly/docellis.htm

Los Angeles, April 8, 1984- Former Pittsburgh Pirates' pitcher Dock Ellis says he was under the influence of LSD when he pitched a 1970 no-hitter against the San Diego Padres.

Ellis, now co-ordinator of an anti drug program in Los Angeles, said he didn't know until six hours before his June 12, 1970 no hitter that he was going to pitch.

"I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego , but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD..... I thought it was an off-day, that's how come I had it in me. I took the LSD at noon. At 1pm, his girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"

"That's when it was $9.50 to fly to San Diego. She got me to the airport at 3:30. I got there at 4:30, and the game started at 6:05pm. It was a twi-night doubleheader.

I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria.

I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times.

The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

The Pirates won the game, 2-0, although Ellis walked eight batters. It was the highpoint in the baseball career of one of the finer pitchers of his time, and arguably,one of the greatest achievements in the history of sports.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jon T.

When I was in college my soccer coach would give us the keys to basketball gym so we could do our laundry.  One night we went in, took some acid and played, err attempted to play a game of hoop.  We had music blaring over the P.A, we must have listened to several c.d.'s but all I remember is Ill Communication.  We even had someone attempting to do play by play.  Definitely one of (many) highlights of college.

j_rud

Ive heard the story before, and its a good story, but I just cant wrap my head around it. I guess I've just had vastly different experiences, most bordering on near complete immobilization.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

tomEisenbraun

QuoteIve heard the story before, and its a good story, but I just cant wrap my head around it. I guess I've just had vastly different experiences, most bordering on near complete immobilization.

It's different for everyone apparently. I have a feeling that those things that people do well enough to make it look like an unforced art have something going on in their brains that lets them operate at that level. Enhancing some sort of zen or something. I remember reading a book about Hendrix and David Crosby commenting that Hendrix was the only person he'd even seen who play guitar on acid. For Crosby, he said the strings just melted under his fingers. Hendrix was a completely different story, it sounds like.

Curious...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

j_rud

QuoteIve heard the story before, and its a good story, but I just cant wrap my head around it. I guess I've just had vastly different experiences, most bordering on near complete immobilization.

It's different for everyone apparently. I have a feeling that those things that people do well enough to make it look like an unforced art have something going on in their brains that lets them operate at that level. Enhancing some sort of zen or something. I remember reading a book about Hendrix and David Crosby commenting that Hendrix was the only person he'd even seen who play guitar on acid. For Crosby, he said the strings just melted under his fingers. Hendrix was a completely different story, it sounds like.

Curious...
Still though, to throw a no-hitter? Thats just insane lol. I tried to go fishing on mushrooms once and ended up with a hook stuck in my hand and 30 feet of line wrapped around my legs. Imagine not being coordinated enough to fish. Thats just bad.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

pawpaw

Curious...
Still though, to throw a no-hitter? Thats just insane lol. I tried to go fishing on mushrooms once and ended up with a hook stuck in my hand and 30 feet of line wrapped around my legs. Imagine not being coordinated enough to fish. Thats just bad.

I know, it does seem unreal, especially considering his name: Dock Ellis...which could be abbreviated and written as Ellis, D.  :D

I choose to believe though.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

I know, it does seem unreal, especially considering his name: Dock Ellis...which could be abbreviated and written as Ellis, D.  :D

I choose to believe though.

;D ;D

Ive known about this for awhile...A great moment in Bucco history.

What I really want to do is have a chance to watch this game. I think I might email ESPN classic right now and tell them they gotta place this shiznit
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons