Main Menu

Broomball

Started by seamus, Jan 19, 2009, 12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Ok, so I've been asked to play broomball on a team this weekend for the Iowa Games.  Anyone ever played?  I thought about posting this in the hockey thread because it seems like nearly the same game, but thought it might be a bit too off-topic.  From what I've gathered so far, it seems basically like hockey, except you play with a ball and a broom.  Also there are no skates, you wear shoes and just slide around on the ice.  Other than that, it sure seems like hockey to me.  To make things clear, I have never played the game and have only watched a few Youtube videos.  Is there anything I need to know?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-No1Srqc--8

I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has ever played.  I had never heard of broomball until a week ago.  When I was asked I thought the guy was talking about curling... ;D
We could.

BH

Sounds like Hockey for people who can't skate to me!   ;D

(That would be perfect for me. :))
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Hawkeye

Yeah, I can't skate either, so it does sound perfect!  I thought maybe some of our Canadian or Minnesotan (?) friends may have played.  I wonder if they allow fighting like in hockey?  Did you watch the video?  there are some pretty sick shots on there actually!  Apparently it is a common technique to slide headfirst and use both your stick and your hand to manipulate the ball (sorry couldn't resist the innuendo).
We could.

BH

QuoteYeah, I can't skate either, so it does sound perfect!  I thought maybe some of our Canadian or Minnesotan (?) friends may have played.  I wonder if they allow fighting like in hockey?  Did you watch the video?  there are some pretty sick shots on there actually!  Apparently it is a common technique to slide headfirst and use both your stick and your hand to manipulate the ball (sorry couldn't resist the innuendo).

Ha!  Yeah, I wasn't expecting the players to be so damn good at it!  The shot at the end from about 40 feet out was amazing.   They must be broomball professionals! ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bearass

they totally played that on wet wild and crazy kids

Jaimoe

I don't think you are allowed to do a broom variation of stick-handling. I believe, and I may be wrong, that you can only use the forehand and not a backhand. Who knows? The sport isn't big in North America. Ask a Euro.

joey_rogo

My friends were in the broomball club at school and they got to go to some national and international tourneys. They said the Canadian teams were dominant and even started fights haha.

Jaimoe

QuoteMy friends were in the broomball club at school and they got to go to some national and international tourneys. They said the Canadian teams were dominant and even started fights haha.

Maybe I misjudged the sport.

Hawkeye

We had a brief practice last night.  It is NOT easy to stay on your feet!  It will definitely be interesting tomorrow night.  I have no idea how good the other teams will be.  We have 3 people on our team who play hockey, and they all seem to be picking it up pretty quickly.  The ball is just kind of weird, at least the one we had.  It's kinda hard, kinda squishy, but it just seemed to be a bit "dead."  We couldn't manage to hit it very hard, and if you really did try to just wail on it, you usually just end up on your ass.  I've heard that most of the teams that play in this tourney are usually drunk, so if nothing else it should be a good time!
We could.

.Walt

QuoteYeah, I can't skate either, so it does sound perfect!  I thought maybe some of our Canadian or Minnesotan (?) friends may have played.  I wonder if they allow fighting like in hockey?  Did you watch the video?  there are some pretty sick shots on there actually!  Apparently it is a common technique to slide headfirst and use both your stick and your hand to manipulate the ball (sorry couldn't resist the innuendo).

yeah, i've played some form of broomball, nothing organized. my dad was a pretty good player...just ask him! i prefer straight up boot-hockey. i'm not great on the ice. maybe that's why i wasn't part of the mighty ducks? cake eater!  >:(
Much Greater Than Science Fiction