NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteYou're sad, Tracy...  :-/

at least I'm honest

Angry Ewok

You are, I'll always give you that.

p.s. Did you see the Ole Miss game? How'd they look? How will they look in two weeks?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

primushead

22. North Carolina 4-1 196

YES!!! First time in the polls since October of 2001.  Thank you, Mr. Davis.  

TheBigChicken

Quote22. North Carolina 4-1 196

YES!!! First time in the polls since October of 2001.  Thank you, Mr. Davis.  
Just a matter of time IMO
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

BH

Mizzou is ranked 118th out of 120 teams in time of possesion.  Damn, we suck!  ;D

Why is Illinois not ranked?  They have only lost to #6 Penn State on the road and #2 Missouri?

Conference Rankings Update.

Big 12          6524 pts.
SEC              5434 pts.
Big 10          2731 pts.
Mtn West          1963 pts.
Pac 10          1184 pts.
ACC          859 pts.
WAC             643 pts.
Big East          325 pts.
Mid Amer          75 pts.
CUSA            76 pts.

15 undefeateds left.   You're next Crispy.  Bring it!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bowl of soup

Are we talking about Nicholas Lou Saban?  The same Nicholas Lou Saban that screwed the Dolphins?  How many non-qualifiers are playing at Alabama this year for Nicholas Lou Saban.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Crispy

Showdown time BH! Maybe the rest of the country will hear the name of Dez Bryant a few more times than Jeremy Maclin on Saturday! Or Derrick Washington, or the Chases, or...yikes!
What's your prediction? OSU's going to have to score 55 points to win this one - but hey, we're averaging 52.6! Actually, I usually have a defeatist attitude in games like this - I just hope we keep it close and don't get embarrassed on ESPN!  :P
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

capt. scotty

QuoteMizzou is ranked 118th out of 120 teams in time of possesion.  Damn, we suck!  ;D

Why is Illinois not ranked?  They have only lost to #6 Penn State on the road and #2 Missouri?

ACC          859 pts.
WAC             643 pts.
CUSA            76 pts.

I was thinking the same thing

Plus, this weekend they slammed Michigan who beat Wisconsin, who was ranked until last week barely losing to a solid OSU team

Illini have the 2nd best offense in the Big 10 after PSU

That may change once Pryor gets more reps, but thats how it looks right now
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

QuoteShowdown time BH! Maybe the rest of the country will hear the name of Dez Bryant a few more times than Jeremy Maclin on Saturday! Or Derrick Washington, or the Chases, or...yikes!
What's your prediction? OSU's going to have to score 55 points to win this one - but hey, we're averaging 52.6! Actually, I usually have a defeatist attitude in games like this - I just hope we keep it close and don't get embarrassed on ESPN!  :P

I don't think you will get embarrassed by any means.  I do think our defense is better than it looks but you guys are a handful for any defense!  Dez Bryant is a stud.  I'm just glad we are playing at home for this game.  Prime Time ESPN2 baby!  I guess I will go with MU 38 and OSU 28.  Whenever everyone thinks a game is going to be a shoot out, it never turns out that way, so I'm going with a "low" score. ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

QuoteMizzou is ranked 118th out of 120 teams in time of possesion.  Damn, we suck!  ;D

ACC          859 pts.
WAC             643 pts.
CUSA            76 pts.

I was thinking the same thing

Plus, this weekend they slammed Michigan who beat Wisconsin, who was ranked until last week barely losing to a solid OSU team

Illini have the 2nd best offense in the Big 10 after PSU

That may change once Pryor gets more reps, but thats how it looks right now

Yeah, I guess it should work itself out eventually but to me, Illinois has played far better than Wisconsin.  Not to mention several other teams in the 15-25 range.

Penny Lane

i agree about Illinois---where is our defense is this year---we are going to get our a**handed to us from PSU and IL--pryor and beanie are the only bright spots --don't even mind the rookie mistakes
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ycartrob

Choke-lahoma?
By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports

NORMAN, Okla. – A few days ago, upon learning that he'd been named Big 12 co-Defensive Player of the Week, Oklahoma linebacker Keenan Clayton made some peculiar comments to reporters covering the Sooners' football team.

"If you watched the film that I watched, you wouldn't have given it to me," Clayton said. "I didn't deserve it."

Clayton's reaction might have come as a surprise to some – but it hardly shocked coach Bob Stoops.

"Guys on this team want more," Stoops said. "They're more demanding. They expect more than they have in other years."

So, too, do Oklahoma's fans.

Not just of the Sooners, but of Stoops.

As has been the case so many times before, top-ranked Oklahoma will be a favorite to play for the national championship if it defeats rival No. 5 Texas in Saturday's Red River Rivalry at the Cotton Bowl. Only now, instead of expecting the Sooners to flourish, crimson and cream partisans are just hoping they don't flop.

Once known as "Big Game Bob," Stoops' reputation has taken some hits the past few years. He's still one of the top coaches in the game, but folks these days are talking less about his five conference championships and more about his recent performance when it matters most.

A loss to Colorado last season kept Oklahoma out of the BCS title game and into the Fiesta Bowl, where it was embarrassed by West Virginia. The year before he was outcoached in a loss against Boise State.

Some were calling Oklahoma's 2003 squad the best team in college history before it got walloped by Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship. A month later it lost to LSU in the BCS title game.

Stoops is 102-22 during his nine-plus seasons at Oklahoma. But he's 4-5 in bowl games and just 2-4 in BCS bowls.

More and more, Sooners' players said they're teased about being "chokers."

"We know what people are saying about us," running back Mossis Madu said. "We hear jokes about it all the time. This year's team wants to be different."

Stoops and Oklahoma have the chance to be just that.

It's too early to be certain, but those who follow the team closely have suggested that the 2008 squad may be Stoops' best since he arrived in Norman in 1999.

Led by future first-round draft pick Duke Robinson, Oklahoma has one of the most imposing offensive lines in college football, and the defensive line isn't far behind. Safety Nic Harris and receiver Juaquin Iglesias are both veterans and future pros, and – although they're not Adrian Peterson – tailbacks DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown are combining to average 148 rushing yards a game.

The real difference-maker, though, is quarterback Sam Bradford, who is among the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy despite being only a sophomore. A second-year starter, Bradford ranks No. 2 in the nation in pass efficiency. He's thrown 18 touchdowns and only three interceptions.

Oklahoma won a national championship with Josh Heupel in 2001 and finished second with Heisman winner Jason White two years later. But in terms of sheer talent, never in the Stoops' era have the Sooners had a QB this good.

The thought is that Bradford will have his way with Texas' mediocre pass defense Saturday, when we could also see the Sooners unveil some wrinkles they haven't shown in their 5-0 start.

"We need (to win) a game like this and six or seven others," Stoops said this week. "Then you guys can decide whether we're any good or not."

A victory over the Longhorns on Saturday would almost certainly set up a dramatic finish. The Sooners probably won't be challenged again until Texas Tech visits Norman on Nov. 22. A week later they travel to Stillwater to face Oklahoma State in the regular-season finale.

But, again, it all starts Saturday. Stoops is 6-3 against Texas but, true to form, he's lost to Mack Brown twice in the past three seasons.

"We can't ever get too confident about where we're at," defensive end Auston English said. "It'd be exciting to beat the No. 5 team, but even if we do win, it's not like anyone is going to crown us champion."

Of course they won't.

Lately, at least, people seem to know better.

BH

So who is going to win that game?   I'm going with Texas.

And Florida over LSU.  Maybe?  Not sure.

Of course that result would put Mizzou #1 if they win (maybe idle Alabama), and I really would rather not have that ranking right now.

Penn State at Wisconsin?

Once again, exciting weekend in college football!

bearass

Angry Ewok

I think LSU is going to beat Florida... they've got an insane running back and a very intense defense.

I think Texas might win over Oklahoma, but I don't really care one way or another. It'll be a great game to watch.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

capt. scotty

After what happened a few days ago when I was in Iowa City, Im not sure if im goin to go to the PSU/UI game in a month

I dont want to jinx them, if theyre undefeated at that point at least
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EAZYE

thanks for posting that tracy, pretty interesting.  my stomach is in knots already getting ready to crack open the first of many brews.  plenty of great games to watch all day.  crispy, I'll be cheering for you guys to pull the upset.  then the state of oklahoma will be the undefeated state going 18-0 so far
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Crispy

Thanks for the help EZ - I think we're gonna need it real bad. OSU's defense has a hard time stopping anybody, but weird things happen in big games sometimes. I see Corso gave OU the kiss of death - I can't believe the rufneks gave him a loaded shotgun!  :o
I guess you're assuming Tulsa will beat SMU...;) The Hurricane is looking real good.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EAZYE

well what can you say, score shows that we didn't play defense at all.  special teams hurt, yada yada yada we got beat plain and simple great game, lets see what happens the rest of the day.  i love college football!
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

corey

UH-OH!

Damn, this year is totally crazy. It's shit like this that kinda proves why there should be a playoff system.

So, more than likely, Alabama will move up to #1.  Unless, Texas gets a shitload of #1 votes. Crazier shit has happened.
I'm not sure I'm ready for AL to be #1. That's a lot of pressure and we have a lot of Freshmen. Also, whoever is at #1 hasn't stayed there very long this year.

Wow.