Snowboarding tips?

Started by thepennylaneNYC, Jan 08, 2009, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

Oooh, cool...I'll have to check those out.  Man, I wish I still lived near hills!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

the_wizzard

QuoteHey Wizz!!! Do you mostly ride at Mt. Hood? Ever go down to Bachelor? What about Tahoe?

(Lovin' the seasonal change for the Crater Lake avatar pic!)
Yes, Wiz(z)ard island is cold this time of year, must reflect on the seasons .[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I am embarrassed to admit how little I make it up to Mt. Hood.  But this is the year I plan on going up at least a couple weekends.  My parents live in Park City in the winter so I go there a lot.  I get a deal as they put me and my sisters on our condo lease.  As a "local", I get to buy extremely discounted tickets.  So I haul my ass there pretty regularly.  Speaking of....I leave on Friday for our annual Sundance/Snowboarding extravaganza!  So excited!  And this time a very good friend of me & the hubs (he totally scored a mitzvah when he introduced me to my husband) is joining us b/c he did post-production work on a snowboarding movie showing at X-dance.  Should be a real hoot!  8-)

the_wizzard

Quotei guess it was a lot less icy than last weekend--lots of fresh snow on sat :-) the helmet was definitely needed though...some hard falls LOL!!
I totally have a crush on my helmet (yes, I am a geek).  But even I, who was weened on the mountain, have come just-this-close to hitting trees while seeking out fresh powder.  I think a helmet is way sexy.  And mine has a bad-ass visor, so I feel like I am a motorcross-hardcore-mountain grrlll when wearing it!

el_chode

I'm too manly for a helmet.

::thumps chest, scratches balls, stares at bewbs::
I'm surrounded by assholes

Penny Lane

QuoteI'm too manly for a helmet.

::thumps chest, scratches balls, stares at bewbs::

ha ha--i didn't see the need when i used to ski but thank god i had one on sat, i knocked my head HARD a few times...those falls are a lot harder i think?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

in all honesty, i never really hit my head when i've boarded. skiing is a different story. boarding is typically some sort of butthurt story.

then again, i have a giant melon and i'm nearly invincible. I once blocked a field goal in football with my face.

the_wizzard

Quotein all honesty, i never really hit my head when i've boarded. skiing is a different story. boarding is typically some sort of butthurt story.

then again, i have a giant melon and i'm nearly invincible. I once blocked a field goal in football with my face.

Actually, the last time I nearly went head first into a tree, it wasn't seeking freshies in the Aspens or flying down the hill and catching an edge.  I was losing speed on a very long cat track cutting to the base and caught an edge.  In what felt like slow motion, I fell off the side into thick snow and my head bonked down inches from a tree.  Like I said, I love my helmet and can't wait to put it to good use this weekend!   :D :D :D :D

Penny Lane

went to Camelback in the Poconos on Sat. anyone ever been there? i am finally going down the green hills (lol) progressively getting better and becoming completely addicted. i might try hunter mt (upstate) in a couple weeks. has anyone else been boarding much?

el_chode

Quotewent to Camelback in the Poconos on Sat. anyone ever been there? i am finally going down the green hills (lol) progressively getting better and becoming completely addicted. i might try hunter mt (upstate) in a couple weeks. has anyone else been boarding much?

Camelback is where I learned how. Along with Shawnee, they are great places to learn how to board.

Here's my racist warning:

Camelback is full of asians and they ski like they drive.

Penny Lane

Quotewent to Camelback in the Poconos on Sat. anyone ever been there? i am finally going down the green hills (lol) progressively getting better and becoming completely addicted. i might try hunter mt (upstate) in a couple weeks. has anyone else been boarding much?

Camelback is where I learned how. Along with Shawnee, they are great places to learn how to board.

Here's my racist warning:

Camelback is full of asians and they ski like they drive.

i actually went w/my chinese friend and her chinese boyfriend; they are better snowboarders and drivers than me...lol...so much for that stereotype

el_chode

Haha, well racist comments aside, for some reason there are a lot more asians there and I don't know why.

The worst place I've ever gone was Okemo in VT. It was like ultra-conservative family style place where it was just people being offended if you went fast while they did french fries-pizza zigzagging across the mountain. God forbid you come close to their precious Aiden or Hunter as he was cutting in front of you without looking.

Also, that is the only place I encountered a stereotypical Skiier douchebag yuppie type thing, like in that South Park Episode.

pawpaw

We are getting A TON of snow in Tahoe, but I don't think I'll be making it up there this season...baby.

I'm glad you're into it though Penny! It's great when you're learning, and each day you can see progression in your riding...keep going!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Penny Lane

We are getting A TON of snow in Tahoe, but I don't think I'll be making it up there this season...baby.

I'm glad you're into it though Penny! It's great when you're learning, and each day you can see progression in your riding...keep going!

i like it a lot better than skiing. it's kind of like (not to go mr. miyagi on ya) you're one w/the board? i cannot wait to go back; my friend just got back from CO and was telling me it's so much different. i guess this crap here is pretty painful but out there, it's REAL snow, powder...it was all ice on sat.