Anyone else got a SHIT job?

Started by Paulie_W, Feb 19, 2009, 05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostess on TV

I had a decent job working as an xray tech which I went to school for.  Got layed off from there and now I am working at a department store with a bunch of girls that are still in high school making $11 less an hour.  Beat that!  Oh and a month before I got layed off, I bought a brand new Nissan 350 Z... Thank god I still live with mom.

kymomandstuff

QuoteI had a decent job working as an xray tech which I went to school for.  Got layed off from there and now I am working at a department store with a bunch of girls that are still in high school making $11 less an hour.  Beat that!  Oh and a month before I got layed off, I bought a brand new Nissan 350 Z... Thank god I still live with mom.

I've been with the same dept store for almost 13 years and I'm still making just over $8.00 an hour and have no car.Can I come live with you and your mom? ;)
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

MarkW

To paraphrase the bard of moss-side:

...this position I hold; it pays my way, but it corrodes my soul...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

kymomandstuff

This thread reminds me of that old Adam Sandler song,"Piece Of Shit Car". ;D
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

goose

My past three years:

I took a buyout from a major auto manufacturer.  The job sucked and I had one semester of school left.  I lived off of that money while finishing school.

I then made a foray into public accounting.  I audited banks in the middle of f*&%ing nowhere for about 9 months.  It sucked.  Like you all are saying, I was physically sick.  In those 9 months, I was away from home for 70% of the time.  I was rude to my girl, family, and friends all the time because I hated my job.  I started looking for more.

Last year, someone told me about a restaurant chain HQed in the Louis.  I went and met with them numerous times and it is now my home.  I love my job; hell, it is one of our slogans.  I wear shorts and t shirts to work in the summer with flip flops.  Everyone jokes around all day, while getting work done.  They do not block internet; Almost everyone in the building is on Facebook.  It is like high school social hour all day.  

Remember one thing, you will get done in life, and you have to pick yourself back up.  Know what you want out of a job, and 9 times out of 10, you can find it if you look.  And also, know you can accomplish anything, and you will.  Peace!
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Penny Lane

QuoteMy past three years:

I took a buyout from a major auto manufacturer.  The job sucked and I had one semester of school left.  I lived off of that money while finishing school.

I then made a foray into public accounting.  I audited banks in the middle of f*&%ing nowhere for about 9 months.  It sucked.  Like you all are saying, I was physically sick.  In those 9 months, I was away from home for 70% of the time.  I was rude to my girl, family, and friends all the time because I hated my job.  I started looking for more.

Last year, someone told me about a restaurant chain HQed in the Louis.  I went and met with them numerous times and it is now my home.  I love my job; hell, it is one of our slogans.  I wear shorts and t shirts to work in the summer with flip flops.  Everyone jokes around all day, while getting work done.  They do not block internet; Almost everyone in the building is on Facebook.  It is like high school social hour all day.  

Remember one thing, you will get done in life, and you have to pick yourself back up.  Know what you want out of a job, and 9 times out of 10, you can find it if you look.  And also, know you can accomplish anything, and you will.  Peace!

are they hiring LOL?

i should put this in the rant thread but i'm working on a sunday. damn the man.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

goose

We hired about 10 staff accountants this past year.  It's great to be in a growing place.  The company only started about 15 years ago.

getinthevan

Before I moved, I was working as a manager but getting paid and had the same title as everyone else.  It was aggravating but I was working with friends and came out of it with a great reference and a job if I find myself back in Mchigan.  But the whole thing was really depressing.  When I moved to Nashville I was working the same shift and absolutely hated it.  I hated it with every essence of my being.  There was no one I could talk to and I was just miserable.  I tranferred to a different shift and am enjoying it a lot more.  The same week I transferred, I got a job at the arena downtown and so far I love working there.  It's great having two jobs that are flexible and will allow me to start saving some money.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

FACE

QuoteIt's not even shit in terms of the function or the environment. It's a middle management job, reasonable salary etc. etc.

But I work with some real fucking idiots, arse lickers, up-their-own-arse twats!

The Wire got the subject of different institutions so right!

Anyone else feel the same?

i think it's funny you editted "ass" to "arse" but kept "twat"

FACE

Quoteagreed. i hate my job but glad to have one. I find nothing interesting about it. i'm just glad that once they pile on the work, they leave me alone. most of the good internet sites are blocked here, too. thank god for the power of flirtation, or i could not get our IT guy to unblock this site. also even though i hate the job, i love my co-workers. i'm the only white person amongst all black and hispanic women. they call me miss ohio and cornbread and they laugh at most everything i say or do. (lol) tangent. so i guess moral of the story, find the good in every shit job :-)

;D ;D

Too funny....and were the ones who are racist, ha!

my buddy had a painting job with a group of Guatemalan men and they called him something that translated to "slab of fatty pork" in spanish. I forget the exact word...

capt. scotty

QuoteIt's not even shit in terms of the function or the environment. It's a middle management job, reasonable salary etc. etc.

But I work with some real fucking idiots, arse lickers, up-their-own-arse twats!

The Wire got the subject of different institutions so right!

Anyone else feel the same?

i think it's funny you editted "ass" to "arse" but kept "twat"

he edited "cunt" to "twat" is my understanding
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

weeniebeenie

QuoteTo paraphrase the bard of moss-side:

...this position I hold; it pays my way, but it corrodes my soul...
Yep. That pretty much sums up my job.
I work in an office for a freight company so I get customers screaming at me everyday for the stupidest reasons.
How loud can silence get?

LEATHER KID

The rental car business is a real shit job.  BUt I don't know what's worse working a shitty job or job hunting.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Ruckus

What's up with this "real" job stuff on this thread.  If you work and are compensated for that work, that is a "JOB."
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

goose

QuoteWhat's up with this "real" job stuff on this thread.  If you work and are compensated for that work, that is a "JOB."

I agree with you.  If you have a job, and you are working towards life goals then so be it!  I wish I could make 150K a year and work at a golf course!

ritchiem4812

QuoteWhat's up with this "real" job stuff on this thread.  If you work and are compensated for that work, that is a "JOB."

I guess you are talking about me since I seems I'm the only one that mentioned real job. The reason I said real job is because I don't have a job right now, I just do a bit of this and a bit of that for some easy cash when ever the neighbors need something done they don't want to do or need some help. So, it's not a real job in my eyes.

Ruckus

I guess you are talking about me since I seems I'm the only one that mentioned real job. The reason I said real job is because I don't have a job right now, I just do a bit of this and a bit of that for some easy cash when ever the neighbors need something done they don't want to do or need some help. So, it's not a real job in my eyes.

My bad, it wasn't directed at you RM.  I knew you were still in high school from what I read on the boards.  I could have sworn someone else had posted something else earlier and perhaps may or may not have been edited or removed.  Anyways, I apologize.

I have encountered too many times the spoiled suburban brat who delivers pizzas or waits tables as a college student or just after college in order to pay for his weed while he lives with mommy and then has the arrogance to say, just paying the bills till I get a "real job" while 2 high school dropouts, 3 non english speaking immigrants and 3 single moms pretend to have not heard that.

That's my rant.  I'm done and again, sorry RM
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ritchiem4812

My bad, it wasn't directed at you RM.  I knew you were still in high school from what I read on the boards.  I could have sworn someone else had posted something else earlier and perhaps may or may not have been edited or removed.  Anyways, I apologize.

I have encountered too many times the spoiled suburban brat who delivers pizzas or waits tables as a college student or just after college in order to pay for his weed while he lives with mommy and then has the arrogance to say, just paying the bills till I get a "real job" while 2 high school dropouts, 3 non english speaking immigrants and 3 single moms pretend to have not heard that.

heh, no problem. I wish I had the problem those spoiled suburban brat who delivers pizza has. That sounds like a dream job for me right now. Driving, listening to tunes, delivering pizza. I've been out of high school for a couple years though. :)

capt. scotty

heh, no problem. I wish I had the problem those spoiled suburban brat who delivers pizza has. That sounds like a dream job for me right now. Driving, listening to tunes, delivering pizza. I've been out of high school for a couple years though. :)

I dont know what my favorite job Ive ever had has been. Its a close race between having my own lawn mowing business in high school/first couple years of college (ie, basically working when I wanted, listening to tunes, the smell of fresh cut grass, and getting a little sun and exercise) or delivering pizzas my last couple years of college at Penn State (ie listening to tunes, drive/work at my own pace, free food, seeing all kinds of crazy shit in State College and fun deliveries to drunk people).

I served and bussed at a few different restaurants too, and although not bad and usually working with some cool people, it was nowhere near as nice as either of those.

If those jobs paid better, I could seriously live a happy life doing either of them the next 40 years.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Janet

I had a rather sobering day at work today.  I am actually looking to hire and was going through a four inch thick pile of resumes received in the last two days.  Wow.  There were so many resumes from people who haven't been working for over a year. Some going on two years.  It was depressing.

I think the unemployment rate in California is somewhere around 9.3%.  A shit job is better than no job.