The Official March Madness Thread

Started by primushead, Mar 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tower

QuoteHow bad a hire would Calipari be for UK...that guy ain't a top level coach.  He's a recruiter but can't coach his way out of a paper sack.  If he has to go against good competition regularly he'll be lucky to be 20 wins every year. The dribble-drive offense is akin to rolling the ball out and to say they were the best defensive team is just silly.  They played in C-USA which contains the School for the Blind I think.

Still I would find it mildly entertaining being no fan of UK or UL but living in Louisville.  

You cant be serious. There's a few coaches who are strategically better than him (and Izzo is 1 of them), but look at the talent he's acquired at Memphis, let alone Marcus Camby at dot on the map UMass. Put him at Kentucky, and he's annually getting the talent that Roy Williams and Jim Calhoun get and then some.

If you dont think he could coach a 20 win team 9 out of 10 years in the SEC, you're crazy. He'd instantly be the best coach in the SEC

I'm serious, he's a great recruiter of talent but not so ethical.  He left UMASS in a hurry with sanctions to follow.  That Final Four in 96 has been vacated due to violations with aforementioned Camby.  With the talent he recruits he does win some games but not because of coaching, sheer talent.  But when the going get's rough the character issue will rear its head.  It won't bother me if he gets the job, I'm not a UK fan but I do think it's a terrible hire.  This is NOT the guy to lead UK back to the national elite.

So how many wins will he have next year if he goes to UK, brings a few of his top recruits with him, and Jodi Meeks stays like he says he will so far?

Id bet more than 20, and thats in his first year at a program in a major conference that didnt dance the year prior

Your right, he probably would get 20 wins and maybe I made an overstatement but against quality competition I don't think he's your guy to take or return you to elite level consistently.  Plus he's shady...you think IU regrets hiring Samson?  I see it as a similar situation although Calipari is a better recruiter probably.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

how is it a similar situation?! Sampson is banned from coaching and Calipari has no baggage.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ycartrob

Quote Camby is the kind of character he recruits and that's not good.  

Camby is a good guy who made a poor decision. Some 20 year-olds don't have the maturity to say no when 28K is shoved in their face, and he got caught; shit like that happens a lot, they just usually don't get caught.  Show me one other major infraction by Camby in the past 13 years.

On December 16, 2006, Camby was involved in the infamous Knicks-Nuggets brawl.

On June 14, 1997, Camby was arrested on charges of marijuana possession in South Windsor, Connecticut after police stopped him for a driving offense.[23] On July 1, 1997, he agreed to a plea deal that required him to complete 16 hours of community service, in exchange for dismissal of the drug charge. Charges against Camby were dropped after he fulfilled the community service.

MAJOR infractions? He got caught smoking a joint 12 years ago  ;D.

And only bad guys fight, we all know that

You just indicted over half the people on this forum as being "shady characters" b/c Camby got in a fight and smoked a joint. jeeeeeeeez  :-/

tower

Maybe half of the people here are shady...joking.  Y'all are taking my comments and all that way too seriously and literally.  For all I care UK should hire him, it would entertain me.  I just think he's not a character guy and that he doesn't recruit character guys, that he doesn't teach and require discipline and that he's not a great coach.  I agree that he has and will probably win a bunch of games but I wouldn't want him as my coach.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

ycartrob

Quote I agree that he has and will probably win a bunch of games but I wouldn't want him as my coach.

Would you play for Bobby Knight?

tower

Nope, I've lost my jumpshot.

B. Knight is an asshole but he can coach and would not recruit the same kids as Calipari.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

ycartrob

B. Knight is an asshole but he can coach and would not recruit the same kids as Calipari.

Sooooo, being an asshole (and choking a player) is OK, however, being "slick" isn't. Got it.

If Calipari had some sheet of allegations and past occurrences of using bad judgement, then I might agree with you, but he doesn't. You sort of hate him based on appearance and speculation and not b/c of anything he has really done.

tower

Didn't say that...being an asshole is ok, I am about half the time.  Knight wouldn't be a good hire either but he'd be better than Cal.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

QuoteDidn't say that...being an asshole is ok, I am about half the time.  Knight wouldn't be a good hire either but he'd be better than Cal.

Id agree with you if it was 1981
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

capt. scotty

Since Jason Williams is doing analyst stuff for ESPN now, does anyone know why he couldnt make a comeback to the NBA??

I know he got in a motorcycle accident and fractured his pelvis, but I thought he was a lottery pick and was doing decent before the injury in the NBA.

Were there some kind of extenuating circumstances?

ycartrob

QuoteSince Jason Williams is doing analyst stuff for ESPN now, does anyone know why he couldnt make a comeback to the NBA??

I know he got in a motorcycle accident and fractured his pelvis, but I thought he was a lottery pick and was doing decent before the injury in the NBA.

Were there some kind of extenuating circumstances?

Hey man, you know that you can go to other places on the internet other than the MMJ forum, right? You should look into this brand new site called Wikipedia. Seriously. You can just type in someone's name and if they are famous enough you'll get their bio. I typed in Jason Williams (Jay) and got all sorts of information. In regards to his NBA career, there was this:

In the summer of 2006, Williams impressed scouts with his recovery efforts. On September 28, 2006, the New Jersey Nets announced that the organization had signed Williams to a non-guaranteed contract, giving the guard the opportunity to play for his hometown team. However, on October 22, Williams was released.

On December 30, 2006, Williams was waived by the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League due to injury.

Williams has since announced that he has no plans at the moment to resume his basketball career. He is currently working for 24 Hour Fitness, doing motivational speaking and worked as an analyst on CBS College Sports Network during the course of the 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Most recently, Williams has been employed by ESPN as an analyst for men's college basketball telecasts.

So, instead of coming here and asking questions that sometimes never get answered (how inconsiderate!) you should go to Wikipedia!

Have a good one!  :)

capt. scotty

Why go to wikipedia when you just did for me!  ;)

primushead

Argh...this wait is killing me!!!

1 more day...

capt. scotty

Ty Lawson gonna be shaving points tomorrow. Take Nova +7.5

primushead

>:(

You can't even bet on sports in Detroit.  All he did was play some craps after he had gotten Roy's permission.

I have no idea why such a big deal is being made of this.

Ruckus

QuoteTy Lawson gonna be shaving points tomorrow. Take Nova +7.5

Where'd ya get that .5 point.  I got 'em at 7
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

QuoteTy Lawson gonna be shaving points tomorrow. Take Nova +7.5

Where'd ya get that .5 point.  I got 'em at 7

Got Nova +7.5
Got UCONN -4

My bookie  :P

tower

Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com