Main Menu

Coonass

Started by AngryEwok, Apr 25, 2009, 10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassbox

I wonder if the Louisiana term is derived from a French/Cajun word, unlike the Yankee version?

Definitely a slur where I'm from (upper Midwest).

Yes, it's from the French "conasse".

I've heard the first part of the word used as a slur, but the full word is used only when referring to white men in the part of Louisiana where I'm from, particularly those born and reared on the bayou.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

ManNamedTruth

Thanks for the explanation.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ycartrob

I wonder if the Louisiana term is derived from a French/Cajun word, unlike the Yankee version?

Definitely a slur where I'm from (upper Midwest).

Yes, it's from the French "conasse".

I've heard the first part of the word used as a slur, but the full word is used only when referring to white men in the part of Louisiana where I'm from, particularly those born and reared on the bayou.

The meaning of the French word of conasse is idiot, imbecile or stupid bitch; one theory is the French called Cajuns this in WW II and it was brought back to the states. Not really a term of endearment, IMO.

Coon ass can mean someone lower than blacks (coons) which is a slur.

It can also mean someone who has sex with a raccoon, which might be considered a slur.

Look in just about any dictionary and it says it's offensive slang.

Coonass is the same as the N word; some consider it a slur, others consider it some sort of badge, usually within the group that was originally being marginalized and oppressed by the word. Like the N word, some embraced it as a "badge" to take the power and hate from the expression. However, like the N word, it started out as a slur. A better example might be the term redneck, which some southerners have embraced as a badge, where to others it's an insult. Again, the origin of the word redneck does not come from a loving, kind place.

As for coonass, I was born in New Orleans and have friends and family in Louisiana and if you call someone a coon ass it's not a compliment. That's what I always heard.

I would bet a large sum of money that Nick Saban did not mean it as a term of endearment. Mainly b/c he is not cajun, and also b/c he's a jackass (and jackass is a slur, so no need to ponder that one).

Sassbox

I was speaking only from my personal experience with hearing the word used, so I certainly don't dispute anything you state above.

God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.