CD burning/Used CD's

Started by ycartrob, Feb 29, 2004, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Can someone please tell me why it's OK for used CD stores to sell used CD's where the artist/producer/etc...see no money from the transaction whereas it's illegal for me to burn a CD to give to a friend?  ???

wordawg

It's life, unfortunately.
(but not as we know it)
the future is Ginger

plank10

they already got paid when the CD was sold originally.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteCan someone please tell me why it's OK for used CD stores to sell used CD's where the artist/producer/etc...see no money from the transaction whereas it's illegal for me to burn a CD to give to a friend?  ???

Back in the days of "Fair Use", you had the (ahem) privilege of burning 5 copies for personal use.  However, in this new and enlightened era, (under the DMCA), you do not have that right.  Used CD stores will be next in the hunt for lost revenue..let's just hope they don't shut off port 21 on the internet (FTP) or start bullying file traders who trade live only, band-approved, royalty free tracks.  (hint:  that would be me)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Leontheslut

QuoteCan someone please tell me why it's OK for used CD stores to sell used CD's where the artist/producer/etc...see no money from the transaction whereas it's illegal for me to burn a CD to give to a friend?  ???
Is it really illegal to burn a copy and give it to someone? I thought it didn't matter unless you sold it for money. What about DJs who use an artist's music and doesn't give them royalties? They profit without having to pay.

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

corey

It was Tracy's screen name before he changed it to Tracy. He and I went to a show together in Nashville (actually, there were a group of people from the board that went together) and we were talking about how funny it is to walk up to someone at a show and ask, "Are you ycartrob?" or "Are you olwiggum?".

So he switched to using Tracy and I switched from olwiggum to Corey around the same time.