Louisville Tourist

Started by ycartrob1, Aug 25, 2003, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob1

OK, so I'll be spending the night in Louisville (up from Nashville) the night of the 27th and I have never spent time in Louisville. Tips for places to eat or must see sights? How about a cool place to stay? Any parts of town to avoid after dark? Thanks for any input and I'll see you at the show. ???

peanut butter puddin surprise

Hey there
"Da Ville" as I affectionately call it, is a great place.  There are literally hundreds of great restaurants, so I'll just recommend some of my favorites w/addresses so you can find them on Mapquest or Yahoo! maps...all are Louisville addresses:

Ditto's

(502) 581-9129
1114 Bardstown Rd

Nice bistro, inexpensive fare, casual and laid-back with great food.  My favorite-and it's really close to Headliner's.  

You will find many things on Bardstown Road worthy of your tourist dollars, lots of shops, bars, etc. The "cool" part of town, as it were.  Ear-Xtacy is down the road a piece from Ditto's...a must for any Louisville tourist as it's the best damn record store in the region.  

Cahoots
1047 Bardstown Rd

Nice bar with pool tables, bar food, and it's also right down the road from Ditto's.  Perfect for after-show drinking/cheese sticks stop.

Hell, just get to Bardstown Road and pick what you like.  It's got a lot of everything, so enjoy your stay!

As far as a place to stay, your best bet is your usual motel fare unless you are not budget conscious, as there are a few 4 star hotels downtown...but I can't think of anywhere really cool to stay that's affordable.  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

plank10

Stevens and Stevens makes a fantastic deli sandwhich.

As far as bars Cahoots and the Magnolia Bar are good and ye Old Ale house has a large selection of beers.

I've been gone for about three years and I can't remember some of the great restaurants.

marktwain

If you've got some extra dough to throw down, try The Mayan Gypsy restaurant for some authentic Mayan food - delicious.  It's downtown, on Market street.
Ramsi's is a good, and eclectic, restaurant on Bardstown Rd.

If you want to try some local brews, try:
Rich O's in New Albany
Bluegrass Brewing Co., in St Matthews
Cumberland Brews on Bardstown Rd.
(All three serve good food, too)

Sal Paradise

Can you camp in Louisville?
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

marktwain

I believe there's a KOA just across the river in Clarksville, Indiana.
There's also the Jefferson County Memorial Forest, which I think allows camping - you'd better call.
http://www.loukymetro.org/Department/MemorialForest/default.asp

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.