Road Trip help

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Jul 02, 2009, 08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

I need some opinions on where to go on my next US road trip with my wife. It will be for 2 weeks at the beginning of September. We've done California, Montana / Wyoming / Yellowstone, and the Deep South (Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Austin).

3 areas are interesting us at the moment:

South West - Texas and New Mexico
North East - New York, Boston etc.
South East - Virginia, Kentucky etc.

Where do you good people think we should go and why?
Paulie W

Penny Lane

for the fall, nothing beats new england---VT, NH, MA, ME---maybe try the bed & breakfast approach. FOLIAGE FOLIAGE FOLIAGE
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Crispy

If you like foliage, I'd recommend seeing the aspens turn in Colorado - that happens in September.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Angry Ewok

New Mexico. Albuquerque is one of the best places I've ever been. Spare no expense with a hotel - get a suite in the upper floors with a view of the mountain range. Might get lucky and see some hot air balloons. Plus you can visit all of the Area 51 gag shops... really fun stuff.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

walterfredo

QuoteNew Mexico. Albuquerque is one of the best places I've ever been. Spare no expense with a hotel - get a suite in the upper floors with a view of the mountain range. Might get lucky and see some hot air balloons. Plus you can visit all of the Area 51 gag shops... really fun stuff.

but no need to pollute your trip with a jaunt into Texas.  No offense to any Texans on the board, but, Sans Austin, I avoid that state at all costs.  

I think early September may be a bit too early to see any fall colors in the NE.  

I would second the Colorado idea, but you said you'd been to Wyoming, which is nearby.  And September is the absolute perfect time to visit the Pacific Northwest...and down through Northern California toward SF...in time for the perfect weather of the Indian Summer.  For september.....NorCal>PacNW would be the best option.  But taking into consideration the places you've been, and wanting to see new stuff, New Mexico sounds like a winner.  

But if you've never been to NYC or Boston, you really can't lose going that route.  Two truly amazing cities that are a relatively short distance apart, and you could check out Philadelphia as well.  You never run out of stuff to do in NYC...it's impossible.  (but expensive)

el_chode

Quotefor the fall, nothing beats new england---VT, NH, MA, ME---maybe try the bed & breakfast approach. FOLIAGE FOLIAGE FOLIAGE

I suggest this too, however, you will be despised by everyone in every small town you visit.

The B&B I stayed at in Burlington recently was perfect and I'd recommend it to anyone going to VT.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Paulie_Walnuts

I have been leaning towards New Mexico from the beginning but I wanted the opinions of those who know.

Sounds like any of the options will be great. I'm gonna do some more investigating. Thanks.
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

Out of interest walterfredo why the negative response to the Texas idea?
Paulie W

AMightyCaporal

Vermont is so beautiful so is Maine- I suggest checking out Bar Harbor in Maine- I have so many fond memories of that town
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

AlwxanderD10

Come to land between the lakes ky it's wonderful [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Love Dogg

QuoteCome to land between the lakes ky it's wonderful [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nothing like it!  :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

walterfredo

QuoteOut of interest walterfredo why the negative response to the Texas idea?

Outside of Austin, which is an amazing gem in the state, I just don't think Texas is all that.   I don't think it has that much to offer as far as scenic, beautiful landscapes go.  I guess there's the Hill Country, but when comparing it to other areas you've mentioned, I just don't think TX has much to offer for the abroad traveler.  Not to mention the conglomeration of backwards thinking right wing conservatives....I just don't see it as a great vacation destination when you look at all the other amazing places you could spend your time in the U.S.  Just my opinion.....no offense to the Texans on the site.  I'm sure fun could be had in TX.  Just not my thing.