Monsters of Folk?? Why you selling my email addy?

Started by justinperkins, Jul 20, 2009, 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinperkins

Don't you love it when you get a new email for a mailing list that you didn't sign up for? So some other list you are subscribed to has decided they would sell your email address, without telling you. How nice of them.

Lucky for me, I was an email aliasing service to track my mailing lists. If you get a unique email address (that just forwards) for every mailing list, then it's easy to see who sold your email and who is honest.

I was rather disappointed this morning when I got some new spam for a list called "Monsters of Folk" which was addressed to my MMJ mailing list address. Thanks a lot guys.

Taterbug

FYI,  Monsters of folk is a collaboration of artists which includes Jim James. I highly doubt Jim sold it to Yim  :)  ;).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

justinperkins

QuoteFYI,  Monsters of folk is a collaboration of artists which includes Jim James. I highly doubt Jim sold it to Yim  :)  ;).

I just figured that out a second ago. Guess they took all the MMJ mailing list members and auto-signed them up for the Monsters of Folk list.

Not sure how I feel about that practice, but you're right, it's not like they sold it to a 3rd party or something (which I thought).

The way the email is worded at the bottom makes it seem spammy:

"You opt'ed in at monstersoffolk.com or at an affiliate site."

No, I did not opt in for your list, nor did I opt in to affiliate spam when I signed up for the MMJ list.

el_chode

I, too, was enraged that someone was so kind as to inform me that I could get another free song after I signed up for a different free song by the same artist. I was going to write my Senator about how there is SPAM on the internet, but then I got over it and listened to the music.
I'm surrounded by assholes

MickeyReds

QuoteFYI,  Monsters of folk is a collaboration of artists which includes Jim James. I highly doubt Jim sold it to Yim  :)  ;).

I just figured that out a second ago. Guess they took all the MMJ mailing list members and auto-signed them up for the Monsters of Folk list.

Not sure how I feel about that practice, but you're right, it's not like they sold it to a 3rd party or something (which I thought).

No, I did not opt in for your list, nor did I opt in to affiliate spam when I signed up for the MMJ list.

As long as you keep a straight face...

Angry Ewok

I won't lie, it annoyed me, too. Then I clicked "delete" and my thirty two seconds of anguish were over. And then MySpace e-mailed me about a blogpost from MMJ which I had to log-in to read - only to find it had the same information the other e-mail had. So... Roughly a minute of agony, terror, and living hell.

But that was a minute I took out of my day that has thus far been spent collapsing Excel columns and unframing and reframing lithographs.

I think time will heal this wound.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Ghostess on TV

Wow... that's just weird..

justinperkins

QuoteI won't lie, it annoyed me, too. Then I clicked "delete" and my thirty two seconds of anguish were over. And then MySpace e-mailed me about a blogpost from MMJ which I had to log-in to read - only to find it had the same information the other e-mail had.

Yes it was annoying and yes it was easy to delete but I was more curious how I ended up on the list in the first place. I don't really stay up-to-date with what's going on in the MMJ scene so I had never heard "Monsters of Folk" before. It just sounded like a ludicrous title for some spam list targeted at folk aficionados.

So I was able to trace it back to MMJ and without thinking too much about it, I made this post.

No big deal, I'm unsubscribed from the list.

Yeah maybe I'm being a baby about it but I spend enough time on the computer that it is important to me to have control over my inbox.

MMJ rules.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI won't lie, it annoyed me, too. Then I clicked "delete" and my thirty two seconds of anguish were over. And then MySpace e-mailed me about a blogpost from MMJ which I had to log-in to read - only to find it had the same information the other e-mail had.

Yes it was annoying and yes it was easy to delete but I was more curious how I ended up on the list in the first place. I don't really stay up-to-date with what's going on in the MMJ scene so I had never heard "Monsters of Folk" before. It just sounded like a ludicrous title for some spam list targeted at folk aficionados.

So I was able to trace it back to MMJ and without thinking too much about it, I made this post.

No big deal, I'm unsubscribed from the list.

Yeah maybe I'm being a baby about it but I spend enough time on the computer that it is important to me to have control over my inbox.

MMJ rules.

Thats all good and all, but why wouldn't you want to know about it? I'd assume most people who are MMJ fans would like to know whats going on with a group that Jim is involved with.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...