Craig Finn's a fan

Started by bowl_of_soup, Dec 16, 2008, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

xmascriminal

There's also a blurb by him in Rolling Stone about why Evil Urges was his favorite record of the year:

They're becoming an American Radiohead - this record is that big in scope. There's all this R&B and falsetto on songs like "Highly Suspicious," which sounds like Sign O' the Times-era Prince. But they're still courting a jam-band audience. There are those big, Neil Young and Crazy Horse-style guitars, so this is still a rock & roll record at heart.

By the way, Jim's favorite record of the year was New Akerykah: Part 1 (4th World War) by Erykah Badu.

ALady

Jim knows what's up.  That's a great record!  It was #7 on my list.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

EliDManheim

Erykah Badu at NYE ... book it ... it has to happen ...

ALady

Oh, man, I would freak.  I skipped the Dallas show for no good reason and have been kicking myself since.

dragonboy

QuoteBy the way, Jim's favorite record of the year was New Akerykah: Part 1 (4th World War) by Erykah Badu.
Where did you read that?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

xmascriminal

QuoteBy the way, Jim's favorite record of the year was New Akerykah: Part 1 (4th World War) by Erykah Badu.
Where did you read that?

He wrote a blurb too:

The sound quality is similar to some of my favorite records, like Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand, where it sounds really lo-fi and hi-fi all at once. But it also sounds futuristic, as if it were recorded on some army surveillance mike in the back of a tank on some battlefield in the year 3013. And the bass is huge - it warms my butt. I feel beautiful when I hear this record. It makes me feel like a praying mantis: I want to mate, but I also want to kill my mate when it's over.

dragonboy

Where did you read that?

He wrote a blurb too:

The sound quality is similar to some of my favorite records, like Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand, where it sounds really lo-fi and hi-fi all at once. But it also sounds futuristic, as if it were recorded on some army surveillance mike in the back of a tank on some battlefield in the year 3013. And the bass is huge - it warms my butt. I feel beautiful when I hear this record. It makes me feel like a praying mantis: I want to mate, but I also want to kill my mate when it's over.
Thanks for that. Did he list any other albums? Do you have a link?

"And the bass is huge - it warms my butt."  ;D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

xmascriminal

Where did you read that?

He wrote a blurb too:

Thanks for that. Did he list any other albums? Do you have a link?

"And the bass is huge - it warms my butt."  ;D

That was the only album he listed. Same with Craig Finn and the other people they asked (Lars Ulrich, Krispy Kream, Jared Followill).

bearass

anyone else sick of the "american radiohead" tag?

xmascriminal

Quoteanyone else sick of the "american radiohead" tag?

Yeah, but I'm way more sick of the Prince comparisons.

buymycar

Yeah, but I'm way more sick of the Prince comparisons.

I'm more sick of the "southern Rock" label.

Ghosts_on_TV

When lazy journalists say it, yes. When Craig Finn says it, no.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

DaFunkyPrecedent

nope...i think it's badass.
God damn those shaky knees.

ALady

QuoteIt makes me feel like a praying mantis: I want to mate, but I also want to kill my mate when it's over.

HAHAHA!  Awesome.

the sun and moon

QuoteIt makes me feel like a praying mantis: I want to mate, but I also want to kill my mate when it's over.

HAHAHA!  Awesome.

He can mate with me and kill me anytime  ;)

aMillionDreams

nope...i think it's badass.

Ditto.  I think Radiohead is the best band in the world right now, so no I don't think I'll ever get sick of hearing them called that.  

Plus, I've been telling people they were the American Radiohead since 2001, so that kind of gets on my nerves that it took 8 years for the music world to begin to believe what I already knew.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]