Michael Jordan Basketball Hall Of Fame Speech

Started by bear_sin_rug, Sep 13, 2009, 11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoVa_NoLa

I got home in time to catch the end of Jerry Sloan's speech and then MJ's.  

Holy...I wound up laughing at him more than anything else.  Seriously, still harboring a grudge about being cut in high school when the Hall of Fame is naming you the best that ever was?!?!?  

A friend that I went to college with had this opinion that I agree with:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuBdsiWn4V_PACRst0Qg8Ra8vLYF?slug=aw-jordanhall091209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Soulshine

I read an article about this...how disappointing.
Because we're all in this together...

Ruckus

With respect to Wojnarowski, I felt his article was terrible.  Are we really that sensitive?  What is unfortunate is that Yahoo plasters these drama, attention grabbers on their home page and people read them.  Although Nova seems to differ, I would say that if one saw the speech, you would never believe it was classless.  Yes Jordan has a huge ego and it was on display during his speech.  No more, no less.  A great competitor who needs to remind people how awesome he is.  I've never been a big MJ fan but I only found the speech to be refreshingly candid.  Admittedly it was awkward at times and his constant self adulation was offputting.  That said, you'd think by the Yahoo article that Jordan was going to eat John Stockton's kids.  
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Soulshine

QuoteWith respect to Wojnarowski, I felt his article was terrible.  Are we really that sensitive?  What is unfortunate is that Yahoo plasters these drama, attention grabbers on their home page and people read them.  Although Nova seems to differ, I would say that if one saw the speech, you would never believe it was classless.  Yes Jordan has a huge ego and it was on display during his speech.  No more, no less.  A great competitor who needs to remind people how awesome he is.  I've never been a big MJ fan but I only found the speech to be refreshingly candid.  Admittedly it was awkward at times and his constant self adulation was offputting.  That said, you'd think by the Yahoo article that Jordan was going to eat John Stockton's kids.  

Thanks Ruckus....I didn't watch it I only read the article. I should have watched it and formulated an opinion of my own rather than from someone else's.
Because we're all in this together...

bear sin rug

QuoteWith respect to Wojnarowski, I felt his article was terrible.  Are we really that sensitive?  What is unfortunate is that Yahoo plasters these drama, attention grabbers on their home page and people read them.  Although Nova seems to differ, I would say that if one saw the speech, you would never believe it was classless.  Yes Jordan has a huge ego and it was on display during his speech.  No more, no less.  A great competitor who needs to remind people how awesome he is.  I've never been a big MJ fan but I only found the speech to be refreshingly candid.  Admittedly it was awkward at times and his constant self adulation was offputting.  That said, you'd think by the Yahoo article that Jordan was going to eat John Stockton's kids.  

just to set the record str8, I agree with ruckus here

MJ does not fit into the little utopian world of a perfect athelete so he's open to crticism; the closest he comes is being the best basketball player ever. that's close enough for me.

sounds like sour grapes from the haters   :'(
It's a bad idea

NoVa_NoLa

No hate or sour grapes from me.  :)  I honestly did laugh through his speech and the thought that I kept having was "wow, this guy has a really large ego".  But, he didn't say anything that was untrue.

Woj maybe did take it a bit far...he's been a basketball nut since forever and I think he was more let down personally than anything else.

I'm reading LeBron's book now.  Got it for free and you can definitely get a sense of his ego too.

All in all, for me, if you talk the talk -- walk the walk and these two guys do that.  (Hopefully James will get a ring one of these years)

Love Dogg

just to set the record str8, I agree with ruckus here

MJ does not fit into the little utopian world of a perfect athelete so he's open to crticism; the closest he comes is being the best basketball player ever. that's close enough for me.

sounds like sour grapes from the haters   :'(

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with what he said.  He's not as eloquent as we want him to be (as he once was), but nowadays, I think there are only two people in this world who feel it's important to point out (remind the Kobe-ites and the Lebron-opedes) that Michael Jordan really is the greatest.  Those two people are me and Michael Jordan.

He never was known for his humility...why hold him to the fire now?  Every aspect of today's game is because of that man.  The look and style of the game is based 100% on him.  He just thought he needed to point that out.

My vote is that Michael Jordan replace Jerry West as the NBA logo.  Same design, different person.

Here...somebody can have this soap box...I'm done with it.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Penny Lane

Quote (Hopefully James will get a ring one of these years)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

TheBigChicken

Quote (Hopefully James will get a ring one of these years)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Maybe but it won't be in Cleveland :-X
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

.Walt

I agree 100% with you.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ghosts_on_TV

I don't think MJ talking about how great he was is off putting. Shit, whenever someone comes up in any sport and is great at it, they get called the "Michael Jordan" of whatever. "Tiger Woods is the Michael Jordan of Golf". He was great.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...