No Olympics for Chicago

Started by Taterbug, Oct 02, 2009, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taterbug

Damn, as a Chicago area resident and local businessman I'm VERY dissapointed we didn't get'em.  It would have been GREAT for the area and the country.  It's really a shame.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

mjkoehler

Yep, it's a bummer. This would have been my best chance at seeing them live. Plus some of the stuff was going to have to be held in this area because of the facilities.

However, I did see this... "Chicago sports fans are taking this one really hard, it's not like any team competes for anything in October." Ouch.

Taterbug

QuoteYep, it's a bummer. This would have been my best chance at seeing them live. Plus some of the stuff was going to have to be held in this area because of the facilities.

However, I did see this... "Chicago sports fans are taking this one really hard, it's not like any team competes for anything in October." Ouch.

Ouch indeed.  We got nothin on THIS October. The south siders have been about the only thing going for us in previous years.  Oh well.
They don't know what there missin, it's there loss.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

mjkoehler

Silver lining would be, no extra traffic nightmares from this. Just the normal traffic mess that you have daily.

MMJ_fanatic

The IOC probably saw the news story about the honor student being beaten to death
or maybe they're just racists
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Taterbug

QuoteSilver lining would be, no extra traffic nightmares from this. Just the normal traffic mess that you have daily.

Your right about that.  We have so many construction projects going on. We are going into the city tonite to see a free concert at the Cubbie Bear up in Wriglyville ( Tonic is doing a free show. My wife is a HUGE fan ) and it could take 2 hours  to go 35 miles if we left at 5:00. The last time we went into the city we got in traffic jam and I had to pee so bad I had to get out of the car and pee right on the medium. I really didn't care if someone saw my hammer. When you gotta go you gotta go. That's the last time I ever had road soadies.

Taterbug

QuoteThe IOC probably saw the news story about the honor student being beaten to death

It is what it is, That is terrible what happened to that kid.  I can't even imagine what the family is going through.  And to show the video on national tv of the kid being beaten to death..inexcusable.

I'm not even going to respond to the racist comment even though your  probably joking, I just don't have the capacity to digest it right now.

Janet

I may be in the minority here, but I actually see it as a good thing that we didn't get the olympics.  We simply cannot afford to spend the money it would take to host.

Good for Rio.  First olympics in South America.

TEO

QuoteThe IOC probably saw the news story about the honor student being beaten to death

It is what it is, That is terrible what happened to that kid.  I can't even imagine what the family is going through.  And to show the video on national tv of the kid being beaten to death..inexcusable.

I'm not even going to respond to the racist comment even though your  probably joking, I just don't have the capacity to digest it right now.

I agree with you on that. It should never been shown!
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

ALady

QuoteI may be in the minority here, but I actually see it as a good thing that we didn't get the olympics.  We simply cannot afford to spend the money it would take to host.

Good for Rio.  First olympics in South America.

Agreed.  Thank sweet Jebus we didn't get them.  I can't see spending that kind of money on what was basically a Daley vanity project when our schools are failing, crime is on the rise, etc.  The city would have been in debt for years to come, and the people most inconvenienced by the construction and transportation mess would have been poor folks who don't have the $$$ to have their complaints heard.

Sigh of relief over here.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires