Main Menu

TIA

Started by el_chode, Nov 18, 2009, 11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Anyone here ever have one of these? I think I did on Saturday but there's no way of knowing and I'm looking for some comparison stories. I'm only 27, so I don't see many stories on the googles for people my age. Also, I'm wary of the 27 club being a creative genius and whatnot.

I'm going back to the doc's tomorrow to follow up on some tests. He's at a loss though.
I'm surrounded by assholes

AMightyCaporal

QuoteAnyone here ever have one of these? I think I did on Saturday but there's no way of knowing and I'm looking for some comparison stories. I'm only 27, so I don't see many stories on the googles for people my age. Also, I'm wary of the 27 club being a creative genius and whatnot.

I'm going back to the doc's tomorrow to follow up on some tests. He's at a loss though.

Don't even know what TIA is
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

el_chode

It's a mini-stroke. I figured anyone who had one would know by the acronym.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteIt's a mini-stroke. I figured anyone who had one would know by the acronym.

damn man- I'm sorry to hear that- I hope everything is okay
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

el_chode

QuoteIt's a mini-stroke. I figured anyone who had one would know by the acronym.

damn man- I'm sorry to hear that- I hope everything is okay

Don't feel bad, it's why I'm asking...I'm fine (mostly). But that worries me since you really need to get diagnosed within 1-2 hours to be sure it seems, and most diagnoses are made after-the-fact. My docs are baffled, so the consensus is that this is what it was so I'm just hoping to find similar stories

EDIT: I'm "mostly" fine in that the only residual effects seem to be a general feeling like I've taken a modest amount of 'shrooms

capt. scotty

what makes you think you had one? (signs, symptoms?)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

Quotewhat makes you think you had one? (signs, symptoms?)

I had a strange headache and was unable to speak after. Then my legs went numb

I've been in the hospital since thursday under observation...so far its a mystery diagnosis. I've been through tests for Meningitis, Lyme's disease, Aneurysms, mini-strokes, been through two spinal taps, and had the pain turned up to 11, but nothing yet.

They did find that I've got a f*cked up disc in my back which should be causing my left side to go numb, but it's my right side causing the problems now. The headaches are gone too.

So for the foreseeable future, I'm stuck in bed in the hospital and a medical mystery to neuroscience

capt. scotty

That sucks dude. If its like you said in that previous post though where TIA's need to be almost immediately diagnosed, I would think thats a possibility if they cant find anything else wrong, no?

Based on what I know, disc damage doesnt usually cause peripheral numbness or abnormal/deficient muscle functioning. Disc problems usually cause more chronic pain thats localized to the area of your spine where the disc is herniated or diminished. If youre having numbness, that definitely means some nerve(s) are being affected. Thats more likely to be due to misaligned vertebrae, although the disc may be the underlying cause of that misalignment.

So that could explain why youre still having numbness, but it doesnt explain what happened initially.

best wishes
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

That's awful. Good luck, my man.  Stay strong!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

el_chode

QuoteThat sucks dude. If its like you said in that previous post though where TIA's need to be almost immediately diagnosed, I would think thats a possibility if they cant find anything else wrong, no?

Based on what I know, disc damage doesnt usually cause peripheral numbness or abnormal/deficient muscle functioning. Disc problems usually cause more chronic pain thats localized to the area of your spine where the disc is herniated or diminished. If youre having numbness, that definitely means some nerve(s) are being affected. Thats more likely to be due to misaligned vertebrae, although the disc may be the underlying cause of that misalignment.

So that could explain why youre still having numbness, but it doesnt explain what happened initially.

best wishes

the funny part was when the physical therapist came in and started shit talking the neurologists. She was saying how they're so trained to look at data that they ignore the observable and put it plainly - that my herniated disc is like you said: squeezed out on one side, causing the the spine to be misaligned (lumbar) to compress the nerves on the other. This explains about 45% of my symptoms and the most intense of them at least.

They're still at a loss for the brain farts and numb hand, but at this point they're just going to write it off as an anomaly and hope it doesn't happen again.

I hopefully get to go home this afternoon, so my mental state will improve and hopefully all things will rise with it.

Tell you what though, if I didn't have my phone stacked with MMJ and Centro-matic I've gone insane a long time ago.

ALady

Hope you're feeling better soon!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

crazylove

Did you have a headache with it?  My daughter started having similar symptoms and thought it could be TIA when she was around your age and was finally diagnosed with complicated migraines.  She is now on preventives and it seems to have helped.  She lost ability to speak for several hours a a time, so that's where we thought TIA.  Hope it helps.  And hope you get to feeling better soon.
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

el_chode

No headaches with it until afterwards, and after my spinal tap the headaches stopped. The docs don't think it's migraines because my blood vessels don't look like a migraine sufferer's vessels.

Still, the final outcomes seems to be a Migraine that was probably a TIA that is too far gone to be detected.

I'm home now though! WOOO!

Ruckus

QuoteNo headaches with it until afterwards, and after my spinal tap the headaches stopped. The docs don't think it's migraines because my blood vessels don't look like a migraine sufferer's vessels.

Still, the final outcomes seems to be a Migraine that was probably a TIA that is too far gone to be detected.

Great to hear!  Stay healthy man [smiley=beer.gif]
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

kydiddle

QuoteNo headaches with it until afterwards, and after my spinal tap the headaches stopped. The docs don't think it's migraines because my blood vessels don't look like a migraine sufferer's vessels.

Glad you're home! I'm sure that was worrisome. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)
Cow temperature.

Soulshine

That's scary stuff Choder...glad you're home. Keep us posted!
Because we're all in this together...