Fav Movies of 2009?

Started by dragonboy, Dec 11, 2009, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

I haven't seen Where The Wild Things Are yet but 2 movies really stood out for me this year - the exceptional Let The Right One In & the magical Fantastic Mr Fox.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

I've only been to 2 movies this year. Trying to remember if I watched any other movies from this year on DVD and I'm drawing a huge blank. Soooo, between the 2 I saw (and can remember), Harry Potter HBP easily beats out New Moon. I need to get a life....

el_chode

I haven't been to many but there are many that I wanted to see, such as Moon, Wildthings, and Mr. Fox.

I did see District 9 which I loved. And Beer Wars which changed the way I think about beer.

I also saw Up which was awesome but more depressing than Bambi
I'm surrounded by assholes

ManNamedTruth

I think it's been a pretty weak year for movies. Let The Right One In was excellent but that was last year. Public Enemies was disappointing to me given the director Michael Mann who I like, a good cast, and a genre I enjoy. Recently saw Funny People witch was good but probably my least favorite from Apatow. Where The Wild Things Are and District 9 were decent. The Road is very good, but is the kind of movie I don't want to watch again anytime soon. I liked Inglourious Basterds quite a bit, probably the movie I've been most satisfied with this year. I'd like to see Fantastic Mr. Fox since I like Wes Anderson, but I don't really like kids movies so I've been hesitant on that. I want to see Moon, witch I believe comes out on DVD in January. Moon could could very well end up being my favorite from this year.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

QuoteLet The Right One In was excellent but that was last year.  
The film has been around for a while yes, but it's official UK release date was 10th April 2009...you need to remember that there are other countries outside of the US  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ManNamedTruth

The film has been around for a while yes, but it's official UK release date was 10th April 2009...you need to remember that there are other countries outside of the US  ;)

MY BAD! It came out on DVD here last year. I don't think it even got a theatrical release, maybe it was a limited release. We're still waiting on The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus here in the states. It's only played at a few film festivals. I'm pretty sure Hollywood just hates Gilliam. I also want to see the Coen's A Serious Man, witch got a limited release that I completely missed.

el_chode

MY BAD! It came out on DVD here last year. I don't think it even got a theatrical release, maybe it was a limited release. We're still waiting on The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus here in the states. It's only played at a few film festivals. I'm pretty sure Hollywood just hates Gilliam. I also want to see the Coen's A Serious Man, witch got a limited release that I completely missed.
Is that Cohen movie the one they made that brought them back to the midwest? I remember reading about it being on the heels of That borefest that came out involving ransom and a gym membership.

Also I can't wait for Moon, like I said. It appeals to both sides of my inner nerd.
I'm surrounded by assholes

capt. scotty

Is that Cohen movie the one they made that brought them back to the midwest? I remember reading about it being on the heels of That borefest that came out involving ransom and a gym membership.

Also I can't wait for Moon, like I said. It appeals to both sides of my inner nerd.

Burn After Reading is in the bottom third of Coen movies for me, but that doesnt mean its bad. I thought it was decent, mostly thanks to Clooney, Malkovich, and Pitt's performances though.

Not sure if Ive seen more than a dozen or so movies from 2009. Just like music, it usually takes me another 6 months-year to see most of what Id like to. And most movies this year that Ive seen were either not very good, or good comedies.

Off the top of my head, Star Trek and Up! might be the best movies Ive seen from 2009..Trick 'R Treat was a nice addition to the horror genre.

The Informers was terrible, Transformers, Watchmen, and GI Joe were both subpar even for blockbuster movies, and besides Public Enemies which I agree with True about, and The Hangover and Funny People, not sure if Ive seen anything else from 2009

Edit: Defiance and Taken were both pretty good...Id hardly call either best movie of the year material though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Burn After Reading is in the bottom third of Coen movies for me, but that doesnt mean its bad. I thought it was decent, mostly thanks to Clooney, Malkovich, and Pitt's performances though.

Not sure if Ive seen more than a dozen or so movies from 2009. Just like music, it usually takes me another 6 months-year to see most of what Id like to. And most movies this year that Ive seen were either not very good, or good comedies.

Off the top of my head, Star Trek and Up! might be the best movies Ive seen from 2009..Trick 'R Treat was a nice addition to the horror genre.

The Informers was terrible, Transformers, Watchmen, and GI Joe were both subpar even for blockbuster movies, and besides Public Enemies which I agree with True about, and The Hangover and Funny People, not sure if Ive seen anything else from 2009

Edit: Defiance and Taken were both pretty good...Id hardly call either best movie of the year material though

Yeah, agreed on Burn After Reading completely. Not their best but definitely not their worst. I still have yet to see The Hangover, is it worth buying for someone who buys a lot of DVD's?

ManNamedTruth

Yeah i think that's the one you're talking about, it had a midwest vibe from the trailer, I can't remember where it's supposed to take place.
Moon looks like a mind fuck, witch I always like.

Murph

fitzcarraldo

QuoteI think it's been a pretty weak year for movies. Let The Right One In was excellent but that was last year. Public Enemies was disappointing to me given the director Michael Mann who I like, a good cast, and a genre I enjoy. Recently saw Funny People witch was good but probably my least favorite from Apatow. Where The Wild Things Are and District 9 were decent. The Road is very good, but is the kind of movie I don't want to watch again anytime soon. I liked Inglourious Basterds quite a bit, probably the movie I've been most satisfied with this year. I'd like to see Fantastic Mr. Fox since I like Wes Anderson, but I don't really like kids movies so I've been hesitant on that. I want to see Moon, witch I believe comes out on DVD in January. Moon could could very well end up being my favorite from this year.

Mar-Ghe-RAY-TEE!!! (Best scene EVER) haha

I liked Moon too. That was like some crazy Twilight Zone shit. The sets were amazing.

Goodbye Solo
Let The Right One In  
Wendy and Lucy
Drag Me To Hell

capt. scotty

Yeah, agreed on Burn After Reading completely. Not their best but definitely not their worst. I still have yet to see The Hangover, is it worth buying for someone who buys a lot of DVD's?

Hangover was hilarious the first time I saw it....watched 45 minutes from a carryover at the drive thru, and it wasnt near as funny.

Galifianakis is really the only rewatchable person in the whole movie. Its great the first time, but so much of the humor is crazy, extravagant, unbelievable situations that I didnt find it nearly as funny watching it again and knowing what was going to happen (ie, if I didnt see the Mike Tyson part in the previews, I wouldve pissed myself).

Its still good, but compared to other great comedies this decade, it doesnt hold up
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

sweatboard

I thought Sunshine Cleaning was really amazing, and very underated.

There's Still Time.........

dragonboy

Anyone see The Hurt Locker? Lots of the critics have listed it as their film of the year. I was hoping to see it in London but missed the chance...

fitzcarraldo

QuoteAnyone see The Hurt Locker? Lots of the critics have listed it as their film of the year. I was hoping to see it in London but missed the chance...

Forgot to list that one DB.  Jeremy Renner was excellent, an all out great flim.  First time seeing him. If it wasn't for that performance, I'd say give best actor to Soulymane from Goodbye Solo.  imho  

capt. scotty

QuoteAnyone see The Hurt Locker? Lots of the critics have listed it as their film of the year. I was hoping to see it in London but missed the chance...

Nope...def on my Must See list though

Soulshine

Yes and it was amazing
Because we're all in this together...

ManNamedTruth

I want to see it too, waiting for the DVD.

AMightyCaporal

Hurt Locker was really a fantastic movie.  My votes go to Where the Wild Things Are and Zombieland
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side