Songbird and MediaMonkey...

Started by NoVa_NoLa, Jan 30, 2010, 12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoVa_NoLa

Anybody using Songbird or MediaMonkey instead of I-Tunes?  I've got a snow day here today and I think I'm ready to make a switch.  

MediaMonkey has a nice looking .SHN app, that could come in handy for all those shorten files I've got and I think it can also handle flac files.

What I'm really after is better automatic file tagging, though which both of these tools seem to support.

Any thoughts?

...From On High

QuoteAnybody using Songbird or MediaMonkey instead of I-Tunes?  I've got a snow day here today and I think I'm ready to make a switch.  

MediaMonkey has a nice looking .SHN app, that could come in handy for all those shorten files I've got and I think it can also handle flac files.

What I'm really after is better automatic file tagging, though which both of these tools seem to support.

Any thoughts?

I like the way you talk.  
Oh, I'll never say I knew you.  But my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

el_chode

QuoteAnybody using Songbird or MediaMonkey instead of I-Tunes?  I've got a snow day here today and I think I'm ready to make a switch.  

Any thoughts?

I hate iTunes but am forever tethered to it because of my iPhone, iPod, and a Mac, my choices are somewhat limited. I was growing tired of iTunes because it kept losing track of my concerts and I had to keep re-importing them. I noticed a lot of people on the Apple discussion boards had the same issue with large libraries. Apple said its our fault, or the Mods did at least.

I had the same issues with Songbird though, and I remain dissatisfied with it though I wanted it to work better just to break my reliance on iTunes.

Really, the only true fault with iTunes at this point is its refusal to scan for new media. I can tolerate the rest of it.

As far as I know, you're stuck if you've gotta sync iPods and the like
I'm surrounded by assholes

NoVa_NoLa

Well, I went with Media Monkey b/c it seems geared toward larger music collections.  Itunes/Ipods seem to wig out when you get near 10000 songs.

I've got another snow day today, so hopefully I'll be able to play around with it to see just how much it can do.  It can sync my Ipod -- I found this out the easy way, but with bad results.

Essentially, MM can function as Itunes.  The only reason to keep Itunes around would be for software upgrades that affect the Ipod.

I imported my library to MM (got the play counts, but the cover art didn't make it) then plugged in my Ipod.  I'm not sure why, but it basically duplicated 80% of the contents on my Ipod.  So, instead of 1 studio version of Evil Urges, I wound up with two.  I'm pretty sure that I caused that problem.

More to come...