The NFL Thread 2009

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leontheslut

QuoteAny thoughts on Tony K leaving MNF??

I was a fan of his. Always liked him. They are replacing him with John Gruden. I don't like John's voice and he's probably going to be very full of himself. We'll see how it goes.
THANK FUCKING SCIENCE that idiot is gone.

I hate that guy with a passion. If I was interested in football as celeb gossip I would like him more, but I'm not.

I'll take Gruden any day of the week over most of these idiots. It's about time they brought in another guy who actually treats football like football instead of a Jessica Simpson reality show.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

I love Kornheiser on PTI, but he just wasnt good on MNF. It seemed like he tried too hard to be funny, where as I think he's hilarious on PTI when the topic is right there for him and switches every minute.

I dont know about Gruden. I watched NFLN for most of the draft, but what I did see on ESPN Gruden bothered me. Not much insight and like joey said, he sounded full of himself. They couldve done better.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Boy is ESPN eating up this Michael Vick stuff
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteAny thoughts on Tony K leaving MNF??

I was a fan of his. Always liked him. They are replacing him with John Gruden. I don't like John's voice and he's probably going to be very full of himself. We'll see how it goes.
THANK FUCKING SCIENCE that idiot is gone.

I hate that guy with a passion. If I was interested in football as celeb gossip I would like him more, but I'm not.

I'll take Gruden any day of the week over most of these idiots. It's about time they brought in another guy who actually treats football like football instead of a Jessica Simpson reality show.

Couldn't agree with you more Leon.

I watch football to watch and hear about FOOTBALL.  That's why Pat O'Brien's now on the E channel where Kornheiser belongs.

Good riddance.  Personally I think ESPN wanted to ditch him and this was a gentle way of doing it.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

joey_rogo

I see what you mean about wanting to hear about FOOTBALL, but the problem with the nfl and 99.9% of their 'expert' commentators is that they treat you like it's your first time watching a game and say the dumbest shit over and over. I don't need to have a pumpfake or a checkdown explained to me 10x a game. I don't need them to replay a simple running play 5x and draw a circle around the fullback and then an arrow thru the hole he makes, I wasn't born yesterday. Tony wasn't there to talk football, he was there to say stupid things and lighten things up because lets face it, the 'experts' are so mind numbingly repetative that it makes you want to mute. NFL broadcasts, more than any other sport, treat you like a child and I don't like that. Get ready for more of the same blah blah blah from Gruden. And yeah, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this issue....after all, I liked Dennis Miller. :D

Leontheslut

I would like Miller if he was around now. When he was on I was too young to understand his jokes.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

QuoteI see what you mean about wanting to hear about FOOTBALL, but the problem with the nfl and 99.9% of their 'expert' commentators is that they treat you like it's your first time watching a game and say the dumbest shit over and over. I don't need to have a pumpfake or a checkdown explained to me 10x a game. I don't need them to replay a simple running play 5x and draw a circle around the fullback and then an arrow thru the hole he makes, I wasn't born yesterday. Tony wasn't there to talk football, he was there to say stupid things and lighten things up because lets face it, the 'experts' are so mind numbingly repetative that it makes you want to mute. NFL broadcasts, more than any other sport, treat you like a child and I don't like that. Get ready for more of the same blah blah blah from Gruden. And yeah, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this issue....after all, I liked Dennis Miller. :D

Before I got to the end of your post, I was going to make a post saying they should bring Dennis Miller back  ;D 8-)

Ruckus

Ehh, I originally liked Miller but then realized what a gimmick he was too.  I'm sure he appealed to a certain group (of high intellect) but his smarminess is everything that football shouldn't be.  It belongs on cable news talking head channels, not covering MNF.

I agree Rogo that boilerplate football analysis can get annoying to big time fans but Kornheiser wasn't even funny.  

And I don't GIVE A SHIT about JESSICA SIMPSON!!! >:( >:( >:(

Leontheslut

QuoteEhh, I originally liked Miller but then realized what a gimmick he was too.  I'm sure he appealed to a certain group (of high intellect) but his smarminess is everything that football shouldn't be.  It belongs on cable news talking head channels, not covering MNF.

I agree Rogo that boilerplate football analysis can get annoying to big time fans but Kornheiser wasn't even funny.  

I love when she comes to games vs the birds! Romo chokes HARD everytime she is there!

joey_rogo

haha yeah, Tony K was all over that.

but you kinda bring up a good point, even if you didnt mean to....

ESPN tries to be 'cool' and 'hip' and their programming has become more about the E in their name rather than the S in their name, which is a shame because they used to be the best when it came to sports alone. but can you blame them? every star athlete now is shrouded in controversy, or is banging a supermodel/diva, or is having giant sex parties on a boat, or is bashing obama, or is being selfish and coming out of retirement AGAIN... there is almost more to cover off the field than on. which is probably why Tony got the nod in the first place.

Leontheslut

haha yeah, Tony K was all over that.

but you kinda bring up a good point, even if you didnt mean to....

ESPN tries to be 'cool' and 'hip' and their programming has become more about the E in their name rather than the S in their name, which is a shame because they used to be the best when it came to sports alone. but can you blame them? every star athlete now is shrouded in controversy, or is banging a supermodel/diva, or is having giant sex parties on a boat, or is bashing obama, or is being selfish and coming out of retirement AGAIN... there is almost more to cover off the field than on. which is probably why Tony got the nod in the first place.
Its 24 hours sports news mate. Even CNN can't show interesting shit all time. But I totally agree with the entertainment side, it's a bullshit waste of time. No one cares about Jessica Simpson. I understand they are trying to bring in women so they can have more viewers. And with that comes, them having to try and play to their interests, which are usually superficial, Hollywood gossip. Plus what are men gonna do, stop watching football because of it? I think not.

It's just the way it is now. Look at the NBA they have female commentators now! The NFL still has them on the sidelines, but it's a matter of time. The more people watch = the more money they make. Plain and simple.

Ruckus

So I just got back from a sports trivia night hosted by the big sports radio station here and took it down.

My prize, a signed football by none other than the incomparable Joe Flacco! 8-)

capt. scotty

QuoteSo I just got back from a sports trivia night hosted by the big sports radio station here and took it down.

BADASS!!

How many other people were in it? So was it like Stump the Schwab or something with no Schwab?!

aMillionDreams

QuoteSo I just got back from a sports trivia night hosted by the big sports radio station here and took it down.

Good work.  It's nice having a knowledgeable sports fan around here.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

Hey thanks guys :)

Actually, their were only 8 teams in the competition.  Not the biggest sports bar around but each team had at least 4 players except mine which was just me and a buddy.

6 three question rounds with jumpball questions between rounds plus a 10 point halftime question.

Had a 50-42 lead over 2nd place going into their version of final jeopardy.  We bet the minimum necessary which was 23 because 30 was the maximum bet.

The question:

Place in order of occurrence from earliest to latest.

A.  Barry Sanders wins the Heisman
B.  The O's win their 5th AL pennant
C.  Jack Nicklaus wins his final Masters

Any takers w/o googling?

aMillionDreams

My guess would have been B,A,C
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

Have the Orioles even won 5 pennants?!  That has to be the earliest if so, unless it would be 3rd because it hasnt happened yet  ;D

Id guess B, C, A

capt. scotty

For anyone who hasnt seen the recent Outside the Lines, Brandon Marshall is one crazy mofo.

I hope he drops a couple round in fantasy drafts so he lands on my team  ::)

Leontheslut

Is this another one of your back handed comments? ::)

I swear almost everyone on this board is passive aggressive.

capt. scotty

Is this another one of your back handed comments? ::)

I swear almost everyone on this board is passive aggressive.

Thats how I interpreted it.

No matter though, Im comfortable and confident of my sports knowledge.