The NFL Thread 2009

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

8 seems like an awful lot. No bye for the top 2 teams that way either, which I think should be rewarded for great regular seasons and get a bye.

I definitely remember being pissed when I saw only 4 teams made the playoffs. I dont think anyone even realized it was only 4 and it was more of an oversight than anything
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

Quote8 seems like an awful lot. No bye for the top 2 teams that way either, which I think should be rewarded for great regular seasons and get a bye.

I definitely remember being pissed when I saw only 4 teams made the playoffs. I dont think anyone even realized it was only 4 and it was more of an oversight than anything

Yeah, I wasn't happy about only 4 teams. I'd just like more. I know that 1 and 2 should get rewarded, but in football there's so much backing into first or second. Fantasy football is the weakest of all fantasy sports, or the easiest one to win. A random chick could fair well, just because she went off team colors and things.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Eweezy

Being a Bills fan all my life all I got to say is...get your popcorn ready, its T.O. time. ;D
Yikes!

capt. scotty

Im sure none of you care, but Im posting this anyway  ;D

Its in regards to what I was talking about yesterday about how having 2 flex positions doesnt overvalue RB's. IMO I own my buddy on this. I should have been on the debate team or something.

-----

Alright matty me boy. I told you I'd do some homework to prove to you that having 2 flex spots where you have the option to start 2 RB's does not overvalue RB's, and it took me about 10 minutes.

Exhibit A:

What I did was look at 2008 fantasy points from the W/R flex position and ordered them from most points (DeAngelo Williams) to least points (Jerheme Urban) of the top 100 players from those two positions. I did this right on yahoo under the players section, so it used our scoring system. Here's how each position breaks down:

Top 25 players: 17 RB's, 8 WR's
26th-50th: 9 RB's, 16 WR's
51st-75th: 14 RB's, 11 WR's
76th-100th: 11 RB's, 14 WR's
Total: 51 RB's, 49 WR's

(and if youre interested in knowing, the 101st-125th players, 17 WR's and 8 RB's...and based on the 100th player's point total, 12 TE's had that many points or more.)

First off, this has nothing to do with causing any position to be "overvalued" or "undervalued". The WHOLE POINT of the FLEX is to start the BEST PLAYER you have on YOUR ROSTER. Clearly by looking at the numbers, there are just as many good RB's as WR's.

The whole idea of RB's being valuable in fantasy football has to do with what you see with the Top 25 players - most of them are RB's, and 12 of the top 15 were RB's last year. These guys are getting drafted in the first few rounds regardless of the flex, so this has no impact on them. Past this point, there are actually more WR's in the top 100 than RB's, so its actually most likely teams will start 3 RB's and 3 WR's (or even 4 WR's and 2 RB's). Once you get to your flex starters, you start playing them based on matchup anyway because they arent stud players cant bench, so 2 RB/WR flexes just lets you have more options with this as well.

Matt seems to think if we have the ability to start 4 RB's, everyone is going to. I have no idea why he thinks that, but he does. I figure everyone will just start their best players, that makes the most sense to me. He also thinks this makes RB's more "valuable", which I dont get. I dont understand why he wants balance ( and FWIW, we didnt even have balance last year since each week everyone started either 1 more RB or 1 more WR). Why would you rather have balance as opposed to starting the best guys on your roster?! All having both flexes be WR/RB (or WR/RB/TE) does is allow you to start the best players on your team, whether they be RB's or WR's.

Dude, this argument is like A Few Good Men. Im Tom Cruise, your Jack Nicholson. If after what I just wrote you still think youre right, YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

the major difference between RB or WR is WRs are more of a gamble.  Every WR is going to have a couple games where they sore less than 5 fantasy points, however, it's very unusual for a starting RB to have that few points.  On the other hand, WRs can explode for huge games and win games single-handedly for you some weeks but with a RB you get more consistency.  That's my take anyway. I like having the choice though, it means more choices need to be made and you can play around with your starters more.

Was ruckus with us last year?  I don't think there were that many people who aren't around anymore.  K is out, we know that.  Going down to ten would be nice, but I would like to let Ruckus in, he knows his sports and hates Favre almost as much as me!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

Off the top of my head last year:

-myself
-walts
-true
-K
-amd
-corey
-bowl
-crispy
-killgies

...thats 9 and thats all I can remember at the moment. Killgies never seems to be around anymore.

aMillionDreams

QuoteOff the top of my head last year:

-myself
-walts
-true
-K
-amd
-corey
-bowl
-crispy
-killgies

...thats 9 and thats all I can remember at the moment. Killgies never seems to be around anymore.

You forgot JonT, he's still around and was with us the first year.  Come to think of it, he won last year.

And again, no K this year. So we're bak to nine.  Add Ruckus and that's 10.

aMillionDreams

Oh, I just remember Chris/bama37/Corey's brother.  He won the first the first year.  We may have to stretch it to 12.  It may be time to email Corey.

Jon T.

QuoteOff the top of my head last year:

-myself
-walts
-true
-K
-amd
-corey
-bowl
-crispy
-killgies

You forgot JonT, he's still around and was with us the first year.  Come to think of it, he won last year.

Fuckin A right, I did.  

(is it too soon to talk smack?)

Hawkeye

I'm in if you have room.  If not don't sweat it.  In the league I was in last year I had Cutler and Romo.  I could have kept Cutler for this year since he was drafted fairly low, but I traded him last year for Brandon Jacobs and Jamaal Lewis because I had NO running game (I had Willie Parker and Larry Johnson and who knows who else before that).  I traded him while he was still super-hot but I figured Romo would ultimately be better and more consistent.  Then Cutler got traded to the Bears, my favorite team.  I wish I'da kept him now!
We could.

corey

I just got home after being away for 2 weeks, so I'm trying to catch up with the internet. I also just woke up from a nap because I've been driving from California to Alabama since Monday morning, so I'm pretty pooped.

I don't necessarily have a preference on how we handle all of this stuff. I need to read back through these messages and try to decipher all of this.

Seems like we had some opposition from someone last year when I mentioned the possibility of adding a defensive player, but I don't remember who that was. Anyone?

Holy shit, I can't wait for football season.

capt. scotty

I know it wasnt me. I think in the post I first started talking about fantasy football with, I said I'd rather lose the team defense and have 3 defensive players instead.

corey

I checked a little while ago and I should be able to get into our league from last year by renewing it... if I can remember the login and password. I think I made it something pretty simple, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

.Walt

QuoteI checked a little while ago and I should be able to get into our league from last year by renewing it... if I can remember the login and password. I think I made it something pretty simple, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

That'd be sweet if we could use the same site. It keeps all-time records, not that I need to see how bad I did. And free stat-tracker this year!

.Walt

Seems like we had some opposition from someone last year when I mentioned the possibility of adding a defensive player, but I don't remember who that was. Anyone?

Probably was me, but I think there was more man-drama with the Flex spot.

Here's a thought... we could have two leagues. I think we could get two leagues of ten people. I'd be in two if it came down to it, and I'm sure some other people would do the same.

capt. scotty

Interesting idea. Kind of throws bragging rights out the window if you finish close to last in 1 and win the other league though  ;D

aMillionDreams

QuoteI checked a little while ago and I should be able to get into our league from last year by renewing it... if I can remember the login and password. I think I made it something pretty simple, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

That'd be sweet if we could use the same site. It keeps all-time records, not that I need to see how bad I did. And free stat-tracker this year!

Free stat-tracker? Nice!

I'm down for two leagues but it doesn't seem like we have a ton of people wanting in.  With Hawkeye we now have 12, we still have time to play it by ear though.

I'm not so sure about DEF players, seems like a crap shoot.  Maybe one league could use team DEF and the other not.

corey

Do we really have enough people for 2 leagues?

Also, if I can renew last years league, will it let me delete K to make room for someone else? Does anyone know?

When I set up the league last year, I tried to renew the league from the previous season, but wasn't able to for some reason. Hopefully it won't be an issue this time around.

aMillionDreams

I just renewed a league from last year and it's super easy.  It'll ask you if you want to send an invite to all last year's members and lists their email addresses.  You'll just have to figure out which one is his address and uncheck the box next to it.  You'll see what I mean.

corey

Word. I'll check on that in the next couple of hours.