March Madness 2010

Started by talleshortz, Feb 20, 2010, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteWV is the team I am rooting for to win it all. I'm a big Da'sean Butler fan and also love me some Bob Huggins. I have watched Kentucky all year and still not sold on them being as dominant as people think. If they run into "the right team" they'll have some troubles. By right team I mean a seasoned team. Butler is a senior but has only Wellington Smith as a fellow senior. I think WV can win, but would really be intrigued to see Duke play KY. I think Duke wins that based on their 3 seniors (and I HATE Duke) Sheyer, Singler and Smith. I know Dicky V. likes talent over experience, but I disagree. I have not been impressed when KY loses their focus, and that's strictly and age thing (and thinking about the NBA). Plus, free throws, free throws, free throws! Calipari's Memphis team was crusing 2 years ago but met Kansas and lost b/c of their free throws and inability to close out a game against an experienced team.

FT %

Duke #9  75%
WV #119  70%
KY #231  67%

KY is not as good as Corolina was last year and I have a hunch they'll get beat and it will happen late and on the FT line.

or not    :-/

The loss of Truck is huge in this game I think.  I haven't seen WVU play as much as KU this year but I think they have the toughness inside to come close to neutralizing the KU inside game.  If WVU can keep it at their tempo and force KU to hit outside shots, I like WVU's chances.

I think only Scheyer is a senior BTW
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 3000

I think only Scheyer is a senior BTW

shit, he is. Why does it feel like Singler and Smith have been there since 01?
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

capt. scotty

QuoteWV is the team I am rooting for to win it all. I'm a big Da'sean Butler fan and also love me some Bob Huggins. I have watched Kentucky all year and still not sold on them being as dominant as people think. If they run into "the right team" they'll have some troubles. By right team I mean a seasoned team. Butler is a senior but has only Wellington Smith as a fellow senior. I think WV can win, but would really be intrigued to see Duke play KY. I think Duke wins that based on their 3 seniors (and I HATE Duke) Sheyer, Singler and Smith. I know Dicky V. likes talent over experience, but I disagree. I have not been impressed when KY loses their focus, and that's strictly and age thing (and thinking about the NBA). Plus, free throws, free throws, free throws! Calipari's Memphis team was crusing 2 years ago but met Kansas and lost b/c of their free throws and inability to close out a game against an experienced team.

FT %

Duke #9  75%
WV #119  70%
KY #231  67%

KY is not as good as Corolina was last year and I have a hunch they'll get beat and it will happen late and on the FT line.

or not    :-/

Clearly, no team this year was as good as UNC last year. Hansbrough, Lawson, Danny Green, and whoever Im forgetting from that team were much better than any team this year when you combine talent with experience

I really like WVU as well, and outside of finishing 1st in the pools im in, Id probably rather see WVU beat KY...my main reason for picking KY over WVU in that assumed matchup was I just didnt think WVU could contain Wall and Bledsoe and match that backcourt defensively, and without Bryant that is even more relevant. WVU has length, but they dont really have size/inside offense. Ebanks and Jones are very good players, but Id favor KY inside bc both those guys usually score from 4ft out or more...either way, should be an awesome game and def the one I want to see the most this weekend.

Duke-Baylor is the close 2nd game I want to see

...Im not sure what Vitale prefers, but he prefers a good Duke team over anything whether its PTP's, Diaper Dandy's, you name it, so Im not concerned with what that dude thinks bout Duke. I picked Baylor for a reason, and I hope and expect them to beat Duke.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteThat's my theory too, Tracy.  Caliparri said FT shooting wouldn't bite his team in the ass when he took tyreke evans and company to the finals with memphis but it did in the final game.

Also, the elephant in the room:  Caliparri's last two trips to the final four have been vacated due to recruiting violations.  Do we have any reason to believe that won't happen with this year's UK squad?

I think youre referring to the year with Derrick Rose vs Kansas, not Evans last year.

Also, I know they vacated everything from 07-08 (aka the Rose year), but I wasnt aware of any infractions last year with Evans although it wouldnt surprise me if that did occur.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

QuoteThat's my theory too, Tracy.  Caliparri said FT shooting wouldn't bite his team in the ass when he took tyreke evans and company to the finals with memphis but it did in the final game.

Also, the elephant in the room:  Caliparri's last two trips to the final four have been vacated due to recruiting violations.  Do we have any reason to believe that won't happen with this year's UK squad?

I think youre referring to the year with Derrick Rose vs Kansas, not Evans last year.

Also, I know they vacated everything from 07-08 (aka the Rose year), but I wasnt aware of any infractions last year with Evans although it wouldnt surprise me if that did occur.

Yeah, I was thinking of Rose, not Evans.  It's hard to keep his recruiting violations straight.  And he didn't get to the final four with evans last year.  His other final four appearance came when he was at UMass.  That season was also vacated due to recruiting violations with Marcus Camby.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

My bad.  I guess you know you were sauced when you keep referring to UK as KU.  

Tracy 3000

I have been waiting for Cousins of KY to "snap" all year long, you know, like punch someone? I was having my coffee this morning, being thankful for God and nature and what not, and I had a thought that ol Bob Huggins may have something up his sleeve, some "tactic" to get inside Cousins' head. The kid's a great player but he's only 19 and he's been sooooo close all year to losing his composure. I dunno, sounds like an evil, sinister plan to be rooting for, but I like that dark, sinister side of Huggins; I think it's in him to come up with something.
Hell, maybe Cousins will punch coach Calipari...

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Ruckus

QuoteI have been waiting for Cousins of KY to "snap" all year long, you know, like punch someone? I was having my coffee this morning, being thankful for God and nature and what not, and I had a thought that ol Bob Huggins may have something up his sleeve, some "tactic" to get inside Cousins' head. The kid's a great player but he's only 19 and he's been sooooo close all year to losing his composure. I dunno, sounds like an evil, sinister plan to be rooting for, but I like that dark, sinister side of Huggins; I think it's in him to come up with something.
Hell, maybe Cousins will punch coach Calipari...

I love the 'hatin' on Cousins.  I can't stand that guy.

Alrighty, this is what I got today.  It's been a hot two weeks.  I've doubled up so far since the tourney started.

WVU +4
KSU -4

capt. scotty

Damn, I cant believe Butler beat K-State...Clemente def appeared hampered and Im sure that hurt, but pretty poor shot selection the entire game is what killed them.

Maybe its just me, but right I have a hard time getting real interested in watching Butler vs Vols/MSU to go to the finals

Tracy 3000

Duke is the team that peaked during the tourney so far; Butler played iffy and beat a game Michigan St. squad.

Duke is favored by 7.

If Duke plays like they did against WV, they win. If Butler plays like they did against Michigan St., Duke wins. All it will take is a little swing of Duke playing a little poorly and Butler playing a little better for Butler to win. I am really anxious to see Butler's defensive plan.

Go Butler    :)

capt. scotty

Maybe someone who has seen more of Duke can explain this to me, but why the hell did WVU not switch to their 1-3-1 zone D?!? They consistently used it down the stretch to win the Big East Tourney, and used it more often than man in the NCAA tourney. They started out man D in the KY game and after 6-7 minutes were losing by 10pts or so. They switched to the 1-3-1 zone at that point, and KY didnt have an answer the rest of the game.

At first I thought Huggins was saving it for the 2nd half so coach K couldnt adjust at the half, but clearly they didnt switch to it, and it makes no sense to me why. Duke had soo many open shots it was ridiculous, and maybe they still would even against the zone, but how dont you at least try the zone D that got them to where they are out?!

Just based on that, WVU deserved to lose. Sucked to see Da'sean Butler go down like that, and that made the game even more frustrating. Man do I hate Duke and havent felt that much disdain for them bubble up to that level in a few years. It'll make my week if Duke loses, but Butler is so undersized on the inside against them so I dont see how they will be able to keep up with Duke on the boards. They also really need this game to be below 60 points to have a shot IMO. I know they havent given up more than 60 points yet in a game, but they cant let Duke take open shots wherever and whenever they want and expect to win

aMillionDreams

Duke shoots too well to play a 1-3-1 against them.  It would have been even uglier.

Looks like I won the brackets this year.  Pretty amazing considering I didn't pick one final four team, I guess that's what happens when there's a ton of upsets and only seven people filled out brackets.

Tracy 3000

QuoteMaybe someone who has seen more of Duke can explain this to me, but why the hell did WVU not switch to their 1-3-1 zone D?!? They consistently used it down the stretch to win the Big East Tourney, and used it more often than man in the NCAA tourney. They started out man D in the KY game and after 6-7 minutes were losing by 10pts or so. They switched to the 1-3-1 zone at that point, and KY didnt have an answer the rest of the game.

I'm not sure it was so much the WV 1-3-1 against Kentucky as much as it was Kentucky missing their first 20 3-pt. shots. Kentucky shoots 6-20 instead of 0'fer, then it's Kentucky's game, IMO. Duke was making what Kentucky was missing; I agree that Duke's shots were a little more wide open, but I don't think anyone beats Duke last night, especially with the 2nd chance shots, a lot of which were kick outs to the 3 point line. I was also waiting for WV to turn up the heat on D, but they seemed a little awe struck to be in the Final 4 and that by simply beating Kentucky would get them to the Championship.

I have never seen the air go out of a team or an arena as it did when Butler went down.

capt. scotty

QuoteDuke shoots too well to play a 1-3-1 against them.  It would have been even uglier.

Maybe so, but they were getting shots without a hand in their face on 75% of their mid range or 3pt shots in my estimation. The zone couldnt have really been any worse. The zone D was what carried them to the Final 4, and not only do I think they should have switched to it by the half at the latest, they shouldve probably started out with it

Based on your theory, if Syracuse was playing Duke in the Finals tomorrow, they would switch from their patented zone and into man. I dont see that happening.

When you have a long 6'9 guy in Ebanks playing at the top of the key, it makes even more sense

capt. scotty

QuoteMaybe someone who has seen more of Duke can explain this to me, but why the hell did WVU not switch to their 1-3-1 zone D?!? They consistently used it down the stretch to win the Big East Tourney, and used it more often than man in the NCAA tourney. They started out man D in the KY game and after 6-7 minutes were losing by 10pts or so. They switched to the 1-3-1 zone at that point, and KY didnt have an answer the rest of the game.

I'm not sure it was so much the WV 1-3-1 against Kentucky as much as it was Kentucky missing their first 20 3-pt. shots. Kentucky shoots 6-20 instead of 0'fer, then it's Kentucky's game, IMO. Duke was making what Kentucky was missing; I agree that Duke's shots were a little more wide open, but I don't think anyone beats Duke last night, especially with the 2nd chance shots, a lot of which were kick outs to the 3 point line. I was also waiting for WV to turn up the heat on D, but they seemed a little awe struck to be in the Final 4 and that by simply beating Kentucky would get them to the Championship.

I have never seen the air go out of a team or an arena as it did when Butler went down.

Clearly KY's 3pt shooting was their demise. I wouldnt say the 1-3-1 was necessarily the reason either, but once they changed to it KY rarely was able to get into the lane and get easy inside buckets. In this instance that was their priority and they baited them into a ton of those 3's. I think against Duke they couldve smoothly changed the gameplan to focusing on the perimeter.

I agree Duke still probably wins last night since the big 3 all seemed to be on point, but not switching to the zone makes me think Huggins gave away any chance his team had to win

Just saw that Butler did in fact tear his ACL. Not sure where he was supposed to be drafted, but IMO he was a mid first round pick. The new projections are 2nd round to undrafted. I think he'd still be a great pick for one of those playoff teams who already have a good bench and will be picking in the late 2nd. I think Cleveland picking him would make a lot of sense.

aMillionDreams

QuoteDuke shoots too well to play a 1-3-1 against them.  It would have been even uglier.

Maybe so, but they were getting shots without a hand in their face on 75% of their mid range or 3pt shots in my estimation. The zone couldnt have really been any worse. The zone D was what carried them to the Final 4, and not only do I think they should have switched to it by the half at the latest, they shouldve probably started out with it

Based on your theory, if Syracuse was playing Duke in the Finals tomorrow, they would switch from their patented zone and into man. I dont see that happening.

When you have a long 6'9 guy in Ebanks playing at the top of the key, it makes even more sense

I wouldn't see Syracuse switching from their zone either since that's all they played throughout the year.  WVU played the 1-3-1 against certain opponents and man against others.  Before the game Caliparri predicted WVU wasn't going to play their 1-3-1 against Duke because of their shooters and it seems to me he was right.

capt. scotty

I wouldn't see Syracuse switching from their zone either since that's all they played throughout the year.  WVU played the 1-3-1 against certain opponents and man against others.  Before the game Caliparri predicted WVU wasn't going to play their 1-3-1 against Duke because of their shooters and it seems to me he was right.

Whether Calipari was right or not is kind of a moot point in that sense because against the man D, Duke shot 52.7% from the floor and 52% on 25 three point attempts.

When your D is getting worked liked that, you gotta at least try the zone

aMillionDreams

Whether Calipari was right or not is kind of a moot point in that sense because against the man D, Duke shot 52.7% from the floor and 52% on 25 three point attempts.

When your D is getting worked liked that, you gotta at least try the zone

Your question was why didn't they play the 1-3-1 and I shared with you Caliparri's reason why, that's the opposite of a moot point.

However, while watching the game I also had the opinion that they  should have at least tried the 1-3-1, but I'm also okay with the idea the John Caliparri and Bob Huggins probably know more about college basketball than I do and since they both were independently of the opinion that the 1-3-1 wouldn't work against Duke, they're probably right.  

capt. scotty

Huggins actually addressed this in the post game conference in the first couple minutes. What he said makes sense, although I dont remember seeing the zone at all.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-O5dYXvo5FAo/mountaineertv_bob_huggins/

GO BUTLER!!!!

capt. scotty

Awesome game. I really didnt expect Butler to hang like that, especially the whole game. Whst surprises me most and is a big ups to Butler though is that they held Duke to 61.

My only complaint to Butler is: Why didnt Mack get more chances in the 2nd half? It felt like he didnt even touch the ball until like 3 minutes left. I realize Hayward had a driving spree midway thru the 2nd half, but it seemed like Mack barely touched the ball in the 2nd half.

Who knows if that wouldve made a difference, but it stood out to me.

Either way, that was the most exciting game Ive watched without having a team of rooting interest in a few years