Homegrown is the way it should be.......Gardening!

Started by searchinbig, Feb 17, 2009, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

jones

This is what got done yesterday after work:

I plan to put another out about this size at least.

jones

Jon T.

Nice, Rowan!  You can do pretty much whatever you want.  Can't wait to see it in a month or two.

jones

I had A LOT of help from an experienced gardener that I work with.  Oh, and he has a tiller... he went home with a 6 pack mixer of craft beer and a loaf of home made herb bread, though.

Now the real work starts!!!

Jon T.

Ruckus

Sorry to hijack your racist vegetable thread.  I'm off to warn walterfredo about Mexican Jumping Beans
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

jones

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
what are the stakes with string for?
Straight rows!!! 

That's how I roll.

jones

bluesky

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
These are my beds (raised) bluesky.  Not sure who your question was directed to.

onion, garlic, potatoes, cucumber, watermelon. once the watermelon gets bigger I'm going to mover somewhere else and then put some trellis for the cukes (there are more cuke seedlings you can't see) .

tomatoes, japs, onion, more watermelon...

I was wondering because if it wasn't raised how much of your weeds were coming from the lawn. If so, keeping a clean cut edge on that would help with the weeds. What about trying a more permaculture method and use cardboard to protect it from weeds, it could decompose and be lifted up when needed. Usually when you are reworking the soil on an area you put down cardboard and manure to regenerate the soil and remove weeds..... just a thought Black fabric would also do the trick!

bluesky

Oh and your beds look super nice, actually everyone's stuff looks great. I wonder if I will ever have a real yard again in my life.

Jon T.

Thanks for the tips, Bluesky!  What do you mean by putting down cardboard and manure to regenerate the soil?

aMillionDreams

Looking good, guys!

I planted Kale today.  I planted carrots, spinach, snap peas, and radishes a few weeks ago.  And I have 12 tomato seedlings and 24 pepper seedlings under the lights waiting to make their big debut in the garden come Derby time.  Still thinking about planting hops
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

mjk73

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Mar 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Looking good, guys!

I planted Kale today.  I planted carrots, spinach, snap peas, and radishes a few weeks ago.  And I have 12 tomato seedlings and 24 pepper seedlings under the lights waiting to make their big debut in the garden come Derby time.  Still thinking about planting hops
I've got some maters and habaneros under the lights also. The local high school 4 H club runs a green house and they have an excellent selection this year that we also hit. We are getting early access since my wife works for the school district.

And I'm with you on the hops. The only drow back is I would have to pick them, vacuum seal them, and send them to someone who home brews. As much as I love beer, I have zero interest in brewing my own. I almost started cascade 2 years ago. I cleared out a shit ton of bushes and stuff near my garage which would be a perfect area as it gets afternoon sun and the soil seems good.

aMillionDreams

Quote from: mjk73 on Mar 29, 2012, 08:25 PM
Looking good, guys!

I've got some maters and habaneros under the lights also. The local high school 4 H club runs a green house and they have an excellent selection this year that we also hit. We are getting early access since my wife works for the school district.

And I'm with you on the hops. The only drow back is I would have to pick them, vacuum seal them, and send them to someone who home brews. As much as I love beer, I have zero interest in brewing my own. I almost started cascade 2 years ago. I cleared out a shit ton of bushes and stuff near my garage which would be a perfect area as it gets afternoon sun and the soil seems good.

You could always trade to local microbreweries.  We have a guy in the neighborhood who will bring us grocery bags full of fresh hops and we'll hook him up with a growler and maybe a meal.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

mjk73

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Mar 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Mar 29, 2012, 08:25 PM
Looking good, guys!

You could always trade to local microbreweries.  We have a guy in the neighborhood who will bring us grocery bags full of fresh hops and we'll hook him up with a growler and maybe a meal.
hmmm, never thought of that. I'll have to contact the fine folks at Schlafly or Perennial Ales.

mjk73

So we found an old cedar chest along the road not to long ago. I was going to fix it up for our bedroom but instead I converted it into a planting box. Lavander has been planted in it.

We also had this good sized shipping case in our basement that's been there since 1959. The original owner's son was a naval officer and it was to send his stuff back from some base in California. Still has the stamps and shit on it. I put heavy duty wheels on it and made it into a rolling planter for herbs. 2 types of parsley, cilantro, chives, sage, 3 types of basil, tarragon, dill, and oragano has been plannted. My rosemary is slowing coming back to life. We have that in seperate pots and moved them indoor for the winter. They didn't like it too much. And my thai basil survived the winter and is enjoying it's spot on the the porch.

mjk73

For those I'm not friends with on FB

New squash, green bean, cuc bed. There is enough room at the front of the bed for extra habaneros that I have.

The new redesigned garden. Much prettier and cleaner.