Main Menu

Your Roots

Started by KY_Kid, Apr 27, 2010, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

QuoteNope! Craze implies something recent and out of the ordinary. Is that the case?
Yes. It's worse and has gotten worse the last 8 years and is only going to get worse I'm afraid.

jones

QuoteGerman &  Austrian,  No I don't own any Lederhosen.  

Does that mean that you have to borrow yours?

This reminds me of das boot that I had when in Greenwich Village when we were up for the NYE show.  Here is a picture that I took while visiting:

[smiley=beer.gif] :'(

tdb810

Irish
Sicilian
German

I have been told that both my meatballs and corned beef & cabbage are equally AMAZING ;)  

No German specialties though ;)

And my other roots -- also grey if i don't get touched up every 2 or 3 months.
.....Back at the Model Home

mjkoehler

QuoteIrish
Sicilian
German

I have been told that both my meatballs and corned beef & cabbage are equally AMAZING ;)  

I'm coming to your house to eat.

tdb810

QuoteIrish
Sicilian
German

I'm coming to your house to eat.

:) :) :)
.....Back at the Model Home

pawpaw

QuoteNope! Craze implies something recent and out of the ordinary. Is that the case?

Here's something recent and out of the ordinary: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/28/2710704/marcos-breton-new-arizona-immigration.html
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jaimoe

Ah, I stand corrected. Perhaps it's a matter of the xenophobia being more high profile and mainstream than its been compared to the past 250 years.

ALady

1/2 Polish, 1/4 German, 1/4 French.  Or something like that.  We don't know much about my family past 4 or 5 generations back.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

My late father's side settled in Kingston, Ontario, from England in the latter part of the 1800s (but I hear they were actually closeted Scots). My dad's mother's side goes way back too; they emigrated from England in the late 1800s.

My mom is a first-generation Canadian. Her mother was from Portadown in Northern Ireland (near Belfast) - grandma came over in the early 1920s; my mom's father was an orphaned Scot from Edinburgh who came over when he was 5 with his brother, before 1920 (grandpa settled in Kingston too) and his brother, my great uncle, moved to NYC when he was a teenager. That's right, I have Yankee cousins.

ynwa

a mix of irish & english mostly, with a little bit of native american

my dad - 1st generation american:
his father was from aghagower, county mayo, ireland.  we still have family there, living on the the property that was the family farm when my grandad was a child.  his roots can be traced back to brian boru - high king of ireland.

his mother was from north shields, borough of north tyneside in northeast england.  oddly, we don't know too much about that side of the family even though my grandparents met, married & lived there for a few years before coming over to america.

my mom - a bit more confusing, and sort of opposite of my dad's:
her father's side has been in america for many generations, supposedly not too far after the mayflower.  his roots are mostly all english but someone in there married a mohawk woman so i've got some native american blood in me.  there supposedly is also relation to an english pirate, peter blood.  arrrg matey!

her mother's side is irish, irish, irish.  her great grandparents came over to america from galway.  even her grandfather's 2nd wife (my grandmother's mother) was of irish descendance.  we still have tons of family over there.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

DiscoStu65

from my mother - 1/4 Italian and 1/4 English

from my father - 1/2 English

so 3/4 English and 1/4 Italian, thankfully I got the good tannin' skin

My great, great grandfather on my mom's side was CSA General Joseph Wheeler.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Wheeler He's actually the only Confederate General burried in Arlington.  The reason for this was he was also the only confederate general who held the same rank in the union army after reconstruction.   There have been a couple of books written about his life and through reading those, I've been able to trace my ancestery back to some of the earliest settlers in Mass in the early 1600's and even further back to Queen Anne Boleyn.  
My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts.

doctorinthehouse

English with a tiny bit of Irish.
The experiment requires that you continue.