Our Music Phases

Started by talleshortz, May 18, 2009, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Oh yeah, Screeching Weasel is rad.  

yeah but out of all those bands some of their stuff annoys me quite a bit now. i can still jam to mad caddies and swingin' utters. I like The Clash more now than ever.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjkoehler

Ok here it goes. I didn't listen exclusively to these genres during that time period but that was the predominate music form

Most of the 80's: Pop and classic rock. 80's was definitaly a "hit's" decade for me. Also, growing up with 2 older brothers and a dad you loved the Beatles, Stones, Doors, Who, CCR, Zepplin, Pink Floyd amongst others helped.

'88-90: Hip Hop and Pink Floyd. Strange combo yes, but it was me. Going to an intercity Jr and Sr High I picked up on the growing rap and gangsta rap movement pretty hard.

90-91: Started shifting to that new thing called Alternative. I blame the movie Pump Up The Volume for that. That and Goo.

91-94: Grunge and alt. Yeah I wore flannel and crappy ripped up jeans (mainly cuz I was a poor college kid).

94-99: There was a lot of industrial, metal, and Britpop in that time period. umm my first born male child is named Trent for a reason and to this day the whole Britpop movement is still one of my favs.

'00-today: Pretty much anything and everything except straight up country, pop, hip hop (with very few exceptions).

Ruckus

Quotemy first two CDs that I ever bought were purchased in 1997 when I was 6 years old: Natalie Imbruglia's LEFT IN THE MIDDLE and Marcy Playground's self titled album.

I only listened to TORN and SEX AND CANDY. I remember my grandma overhearing them when I was playing them on my boombox in my room and her saying "WHAT DID THEY JUST SAY? SEX AND WHAT?!?"

Before that it was Now 1 and 2

Then, I went into my ska-punk pop-punk phase which included The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, The Offspring etc.

Finally, my oldest cousin saved me from this - and he knew I was very easily influenced by him, so it worked - with Belle and Sebastian, DNTEL, the Exploding Hearts... and from there, my ears had opened.

Fuck.

Cheers Face! :)  I wish I was 6 in 1997. ;D  Not that I can complain with these old timers milling around.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Quoteto this day the whole Britpop movement is still one of my favs.

Who knew?  I know I didn't. ;)

Ruckus

Ok to flesh out a little bit better and bump this thread because I know there are a ton of music heads milling around here.

80's - Whatever my dad had on his record player.  Hendrix, Bananarama, Oxo, Men at Work, Prince, Genesis

Late 80's, my brother bought his first records - RUN DMC Raisin' Hell and Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill

89 - 6th grade - Metallica, Guns n Roses, Def Leppard

90 - 7th grade - MC Hammer, C and C Music Factory and Gerardo ;D

91-93 - My brother took me to my first concert - Van Halen - listened to almost VH exclusively for a year.  Also, tons of They Might Be Giants, Ugly Kid Joe.

EDIT:  How can I forget Soul Asylum.  I LOVE them!

94-96 - Ok, this is high school and where it got really good.  Dominated by Hip Hop and Classic Rock.  Rush and Pink Floyd were constants exploring their entire discographies.  Also, Tribe Called Quest, the Roots, De La Soul, Digable Planets, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Bran Nubian, Wu Tang Clan, Counting Crows, Phish, Grateful Dead, Zeppelin, Offspring, Op Ivy, Green Day, Queen, Santana, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Megadeth, the Who, Cream, Violent Femmes, Suicidal Tendencies, Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor and lots and lots of Tom Petty.

96-2001 - Undergrad - Lots of Jam Bands and Jazz- More Rush, Leftover Salmon, MMW, Grey Boy Allstars, Umphrees, Bela Fleck, Victor Wooten, Jimmy Cliff, Moe, DJ Shadow, Blackalicious, Latryx, John Scofield, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk, Eric Dolphy, Creedence, Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Charles Mingus, tons of Dylan, Sonny Rollins, Charlie Parker, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Little Feat, Yes.  The list goes on and on.  I probably attended an average of 1 show a week for four and a half years while in school.

2001-2004 - Musical Purgatory - Lots of underground hip hop - Dilated Peoples, KOS, Lifesavas, Little Brother, Slum Village, Jurassic 5, Oysterhead.  I had so little time to devote to music then and had not internet so I spent every night at local bars listening to local music.

2004-present - MMJ and all things that can be found in the Other Music Thread :)

Tracy 3000

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Crispy

Surely we're all guilty of going through a Bananarama phase? Or maybe more likely, a Go-Gos phase?

Great thread! I'm gonna have to subject you people to my history here too soon.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

el_chode

Alright:

First CD ever purchased: Pearl Jam - Ten. That makes me infinitely cool even if the follow up purchases was Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite, Meatloaf Bat Out of Hell II, and Billy Joel - Innocent Man (I FUCKING HATE BILLY JOEL)

I'll start there, since that was 5th grade and when I truly had a sentient taste in music beyond Michael Jackson (which is what I grew up on).

1990 - 1994: Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, PUSA, Foo Fighters

1994 - 2000: Mule, Hendrix, Zeppelin, WSP, occasional Phish, tons and tons of Crowes

Overlap 1999-2001: Fuel, Incubus, RHCP, STP, At The Drive-In

---- END HIGH SCHOOL, BEGIN STONER LIFE IN COLLEGE ----

2001: Oysterhead, MMW, Addison Groove Project, Orbital, Pavement, Queens of the Stone Age, Trail of Dead

2002: [Begin career in college radio]: MMJ, Wilco, Ween, Dinosaur Jr, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, etc

2003-2004: [General Manager of college radio station] MMJ out the ass, Sonic Youth, and Black Keys. Oh, and Dismemberment Plan. Started promoting a band called Mini Band, who were best friends with a band called the Teeth, who were also best friends with a band called "Dr. Dog", started investigating.

2005-2006: Iggy Pop, Ween, Talking Heads, Pavement, the Darkness, Yo La Tengo, Z, Band of Bees, Reigning Sound

2008 onward: MMJ, Grateful Dead, Ween, Benevento/Russo, Phish, Rolling Stones
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Also, I posted this a while ago, but for those of you on Last.fm, this website mines your listens going back until around 2005 and tells you what your milestones were

http://kastuvas.bullet.lt/lastfm/

capt. scotty

QuoteAlright:

First CD ever purchased: Pearl Jam - Ten. That makes me infinitely cool even if the follow up purchases was Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite, Meatloaf Bat Out of Hell II, and Billy Joel - Innocent Man (I FUCKING HATE BILLY JOEL)

Dude, the Spins fucking rule. One of the most underrated bands of the 90's. They could jam the F out
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

QuoteAlright:

Dude, the Spins fucking rule. One of the most underrated bands of the 90's. They could jam the F out

Actually, I found this out later. But I bought that album for the singles and didn't give it much thought otherwise.

I forgot to mention Blues Traveler in that time frame too. In NJ, you couldn't escape them, Spin Doctors, and From Good Homes. So it was sometime around 1996 I went to a local radio station's "Clam 'n Jam" event to see God Street Wine when a band called "Purple Earth" opened, and I was surprised to see Chris Barron as the front man. At least I think they were called Purple Earth, Google isn't giving me much support on that.

Mind you, I was like 14 at the time and didn't know what to do with myself at these shows. All in all, I was in way over my head, but listening to that stuff made save all my money to buy a guitar.