Nice Omnichord for sale

Started by Johnny_Yac, May 18, 2010, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Hey, if folks have been curious like me, and want to venture into the Laser Harp world, there's an Omnichord up for grabs on eBay right now.  If I wasn't days away from the arrival of my 3rd, an OM-300, I'd go for it.  Its kinda rare, an OM-200m, very close to what Jim James is using right now.   Its not cheap, but the price is where the market is.  Anyway, I hope someone here gets it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-Suzuki-Omnichord-Synthesizer-200M-200-M-/290436400763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item439f5bc67b

BTW, the posting doesn't indicate if the manual is included.  I have an extra OM-200m manual you can have.  Why do I have a manual for an Omnchord model I do not own?  Apparently for situations just like this.  I just won the manual on eBay for 99cents tonight.  It must be FATE!   ;)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

I thought some of you might like a little Omnichord tour, in photos.

The first model of the first generation, the OM-27 in white and brown

The OM-36, with more chords (36!)

A modified (circuit bent) OM-36

The second generation OM-84 (I have one, nice basic unit and very available on eBay)

A Folktec modified OM-84, often fetches $600-$900!

Now, a redesign, more ergonomic.  First, the OM-100

The OM-150

The OM-200 (this is the OM-200m mentioned above)

The OM-300 (my newest addition!)

And finally, a departure and 5th generation, the QChord (my first model)

jones

Wow.  I feel like I just walked throgh an Omnichord museum.

Love Dogg

QuoteWow.  I feel like I just walked throgh an Omnichord museum.
;D

I was disappointed to find out that Jim is no longer referenced on the Omnichord Wikipedia page.  But if there is ever another update, I think they should add Jim's name again...as well as our very own Laser Harp Cowboy, johnnYYac!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

johnnYYac

QuoteHey, if folks have been curious like me, and want to venture into the Laser Harp world, there's an Omnichord up for grabs on eBay right now.  If I wasn't days away from the arrival of my 3rd, an OM-300, I'd go for it.  Its kinda rare, an OM-200m, very close to what Jim James is using right now.   Its not cheap, but the price is where the market is.  Anyway, I hope someone here gets it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-Suzuki-Omnichord-Synthesizer-200M-200-M-/290436400763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item439f5bc67b

BTW, the posting doesn't indicate if the manual is included.  I have an extra OM-200m manual you can have.  Why do I have a manual for an Omnchord model I do not own?  Apparently for situations just like this.  I just won the manual on eBay for 99cents tonight.  It must be FATE!   ;)

So, I see it sold.  Quick, but I'm not surprised.  Was it anyone from the forum?  Just curious.

FiddleCastro

QuoteWow.  I feel like I just walked throgh an Omnichord museum.
;D

I was disappointed to find out that Jim is no longer referenced on the Omnichord Wikipedia page.  But if there is ever another update, I think they should add Jim's name again...as well as our very own Laser Harp Cowboy, johnnYYac!

He is! Right above the love of my life, Karen O  8-)

# Jim James of My Morning Jacket uses the Omnichord on the track "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream (Part 2)" from the MMJ's 2008 album "Evil Urges".
# Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs plays an omnichord on their album Show Your Bones.

Ahh, a 1-2 punch of awesome.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

johnnYYac

I forgot to start off my Omnichord tour with the great-grandpa of the Omnichord, the Tronichord, circa 1980.

Also, I need everyone to send postive vibes out to Powder Springs, GA in hopes that my OM-300 makes it to me in New Hamphsire.  It looks like it may have been "lost" in the mail.
 :'(

Help me help the OM-300 find its way home to Daddy.    

johnnYYac

BTW- the only Tronichord I've "seen" was on eBay and went for $2000!

johnnYYac

QuoteI forgot to start off my Omnichord tour with the great-grandpa of the Omnichord, the Tronichord, circa 1980.

Also,[highlight] I need everyone to send postive vibes out to Powder Springs, GA in hopes that my OM-300 makes it to me in New Hamphsire.  It looks like it may have been "lost" in the mail.

Help me help the OM-300 find its way home to Daddy.[/highlight]    

Don't know how many heeded the call, but it looks like the post office woke up and got my Omnichord to the high school where I work.  I hope to have it in hand tomorrow.  Phew!  :)

johnnYYac

Looks like Omnichord number 4 will be mine in about 5 minutes.  I may be looking for a place to stay, however.  I do believe the wife is getting a bit frustrated with me buying another laser harp.  I will not click "post" until I'm certain I've got it.  

2 minutes left...

50 seconds...

MINE!   

Current inventory: OM-84, OM-150, OM-300 and QChord.

Ain't she purty?

iLikeBeer

QuoteLooks like Omnichord number 4 will be mine in about 5 minutes.  I may be looking for a place to stay, however. [highlight] I do believe the wife is getting a bit frustrated with me buying another laser harp[/highlight].  

LOL!  Next time I'm persuading my better half into letting me buy something I can probably live without, I'll refer her to JohnYYac's omnichord obsession!   ;)  

johnnYYac

QuoteLooks like Omnichord number 4 will be mine in about 5 minutes.  I may be looking for a place to stay, however. [highlight] I do believe the wife is getting a bit frustrated with me buying another laser harp[/highlight].  

LOL!  Next time I'm persuading my better half into letting me buy something I can probably live without, I'll refer her to JohnYYac's omnichord obsession!   ;)  

Who said I could live without the OM-150?   :D

johnnYYac

Thought I'd share a YouTube video of one of the Folktek modified OM-84s.  They run around $700, which is what my 4 'chords cost me.  For anyone into electronic music, lots of possibilities.  There's one on eBay now if anyone's interested.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6mnjYGnRdE[/media]

johnnYYac

The granddaddy of Omnichords, the Portachord (aka Tronichord) predated all Omnichords by 2-3 years.  More a toy, yet with the signature strumplate and unique 'chord sound we've all come to love (its not just me, right?).

I let one slip through my fingers, so to speak.  Not really sure what the market is for these, as this was only the second one I've "seen."  The last one, about a year ago, sold on eBay for $1995.  Tonight, I was getting ready to jump in.  With less than 10 minutes remaining in the auction, the price remained at $152.50!  But, soon the bids and counterbids poured in.  It was still low, $317.  But I've got a lot of shows this year and two more Omnichords, so I couldn't do it.

You can hear a Tronichord by going here and clicking on the green PLAY arrow on the right.

http://www.miniorgan.com/lib/view.php?miniorgan=115&srch=&srch_type=&sortby=&output=56

johnnYYac

Lots of tasty 'chords up on eBay, though prices are high.  This bodes well for my 7 'chord collection (kind of like the stock market for Omnichords).  If anyone is considering their first one, try for the OM-84 (Jim used this on Acoustic Chorale for "Sooner") or splurge of the OM-200m, which Jim favors these days.  That's the model used in "Tonight (IWTCWY)" and "Touch Me Part 2".

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=omnichord&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Hawkeye

Johnny I must say:  you've got me interested in these things.  I was really going to buy a pedal steel...and I still will someday...but these cost quite a bit less.  Thanks for the recommendations!
We could.

darkglow

here lately i've been playing my two babies (OM-100 and OM-300) with a Boss RT-20 Rotary Sound Processor

and using distortion occasionally on top of that for some heavy/dark shit. I've been thinking lately of recording some of my little experimental jam sessions and putting it into a lil 3-song EP.

Some days I can come home after a long day and sit in here in my office/media room and space out for at least an hour playing my omnichord. It's great to lose all sense of time and place for an hour

darkglow

johnnYYac

Another rare Portachord on eBay, only the 3rd I've seen.  Asking $1000, which is steep, considering some modifications to the battery compartment.  Here's a video demo of the unit for sale. 

This is the precursor to the Omnichords Jim uses on Touch Me Part 2, Tonight (IWTCWY), etc.

portachord

johnnYYac

Here's Bowie doing S&G's America at a 9/11 tribute concert, using an Omnichord.

http://youtu.be/IS4ZW6f89QI