Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 19, 2011, 01:26 AM
Quote from: Darklands on Apr 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Anyone see City/ManU in the FA Cup semi or yesterday's Liverpool/Arsenal's ridiculous finish with two penalties given in injury time to end 1-1?!
I wish. My cable provider doesn't have the Fox channel. bastards.
The Liverpool/Arsenal finish was nuts!

So anyways, I had no idea that your redheaded, curvy love was married to the schnazzberries tastes like schnazzberries dude.  He must have great personality.
It must be one great big throbbing personality to hang with the fair CH. (you must have just watched their epi of Top Chef).

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 19, 2011, 01:26 AM
Quote from: Darklands on Apr 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Anyone see City/ManU in the FA Cup semi or yesterday's Liverpool/Arsenal's ridiculous finish with two penalties given in injury time to end 1-1?!
I wish. My cable provider doesn't have the Fox channel. bastards.
The Liverpool/Arsenal finish was nuts!

So anyways, I had no idea that your redheaded, curvy love was married to the schnazzberries tastes like schnazzberries dude.  He must have great personality.

That was nuts!  I had to leave right at the end of regulation.  When I was checking the scores later, I thought for sure something was wrong.  Good stuff!

WSS2

Manu steamrolls the EPL this year.  Would love to see the double but I just can't see Barca losing with that team.  Ridiculous squad

I like the new look Liverpool - Suarez is an animal...once he clicks there, they will be tough.  Too bad Gerrard is out

Off season this year will be interesting....more and more rumors that Chelsea blows up their squad and goes younger....Neymar is going to make some serious cheddar this off-season....good player, but someone is going to overpay

Ruckus

Hopefully the Toffees can win out and cause a ruckus.  Slow starts crippled the Merseyside squads but its nice to Everton again vying for a Europa League spot but again on the outside looking in for the CL.

Haven't seent that Neymar kid play but I've heard good things.

I wouldn't give the CL to Barca just yet
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Just set my DVR!  WHY DID I have no clue that FX carries Champions League matches.  Lesser of two evils dictates that I root for Barca.  I can't stand Jose Mourinho.  Either way, knowing it'll be one of the Spanish giants and Man U saddens me.

And of course I'll root for Barca cuz it's Ky's team. :beer:

Ruckus

It's been quiet in here.  Anyone else watch the CL final?  Clearly the better team won, but it was really exciting for a moment when Rooney equalized.  What a pass by Xavi (per usual) off the outside boot to Pedro for the 1st goal.  What was Man U. doing giving Messi that much space?  Not often you see Van Der Saar caught leaning that badly.

While great for ratings, it's almost not fun when you have the world's best 11 players on one team, or so it feels.

kydiddle

Quote from: Ruckus on May 29, 2011, 08:55 PM
It's been quiet in here.  Anyone else watch the CL final?  Clearly the better team won, but it was really exciting for a moment when Rooney equalized.  What a pass by Xavi (per usual) off the outside boot to Pedro for the 1st goal.  What was Man U. doing giving Messi that much space?  Not often you see Van Der Saar caught leaning that badly.

While great for ratings, it's almost not fun when you have the world's best 11 players on one team, or so it feels.

The Rooney goal was pretty sweet and I'd rather have an exciting match any day over Barca just winning and winning. It does take the fun out of the game.

And as brilliant as Messi is at scoring, Xavi is a blast to watch....
Cow temperature.

ynwa

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Jon T.

Quote from: ynwa on Jun 21, 2011, 05:13 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 15, 2011, 12:59 AM
Quote from: Jon T. on Jun 10, 2011, 09:52 AM
Ouch    ;D

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/what-the-fox?vid=1309064e-f4f3-4913-8b4c-1292aff240d0&from=en-us_msnhp&gt1=39002
;D :o

oh my!  somebody got a nice talking to after that, i'm sure ;D :-X

I wonder???  I mean, but WTF?  Has that ever happened in the history of history?  I can't even imagine that even being a possiblitly with the ball being punched out that far.  If it's during regulation, sure the Keep's still on his toes,  but PK's?  That's just insane!

In other news, how about Freddy Adu tonight?! Aside from the BEAUTIFUL ball he played out to Donavon that set up the winning goal, he turned in some quality minutes. 

Ruckus

Yeah Jon, you just can't blame the keeper on that one.  Hell, the coaches and players probably had time to yell at him to get back in goal.  It could have been the greatest save of all time if he turned around, sprinted and dove to save it with his fingertips, just pushing it astray. ;D

Am I the only one watching the women's World Cup?  Totally psyched about the 18 year old Miyabochi that the Japanese have the the talking heads have been calling the closest thing to the female Messi.  She is young, tiny and has remarkable dribbling skills with the ball close to her body ala Messi along with excellent acceleration.  Immediately changed the complexion of the game when she came on in the second half against New Zealand.  I flew on a flight from Frankfurt to DC on Lufthansa on Sunday and the pilots were giving periodic Women's World Cup highlights throughout the flight. :) ;D

Oh yeah, and that Alex Morgan on the US :o :o

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 30, 2011, 05:53 AM
Yeah Jon, you just can't blame the keeper on that one.  Hell, the coaches and players probably had time to yell at him to get back in goal.  It could have been the greatest save of all time if he turned around, sprinted and dove to save it with his fingertips, just pushing it astray. ;D

Am I the only one watching the women's World Cup?  Totally psyched about the 18 year old Miyabochi that the Japanese have the the talking heads have been calling the closest thing to the female Messi.  She is young, tiny and has remarkable dribbling skills with the ball close to her body ala Messi along with excellent acceleration.  Immediately changed the complexion of the game when she came on in the second half against New Zealand.  I flew on a flight from Frankfurt to DC on Lufthansa on Sunday and the pilots were giving periodic Women's World Cup highlights throughout the flight. :) ;D

I'm watching what I can.  I'm probably getting myself in trouble for this but most women's sports are unwatchable to me.  However, I have no problem watching women's soccer.  Especially the World Cup.  Dem girls got skillz.  Looks like Japan put on a clinic this morning.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 30, 2011, 05:53 AM

I'm watching what I can.  I'm probably getting myself in trouble for this but most women's sports are unwatchable to me.  However, I have no problem watching women's soccer.  Especially the World Cup.  Dem girls got skillz.  Looks like Japan put on a clinic this morning.
And besides the Sweden/Australia match (congrats SaraBB!), the other three matches this weekend ranged anywhere from excellent (Eng/Fra) to simply stunning (Japan/Ger and US/Brazil).

I'd the say in the 1st three, the best team on the pitch won. 

As for the US, their playing was so uninspired after the own goal until the sendoff that I was feeling bad for Brazil that they were outplaying the US so badly yet were down a goal.  Who knew it took being man down before the US figured out how to link passes together.  Despite Julie Foudy's outrageous comment declaring the US the fittest team in the World Cup (as if there was a scientific measure for that), the difference really seemed to be the fatigue of the Brazilian side.  I just wonder if Foudy watched the Japanese and Germans leave it out on the field, still sprinting unrelentingly into the 120th minute and beyond. 

What a cross from Rapinoe, so exacting, and the perfect finish it deserved.  Had the refereeing drama not occurred, the victory would not have had half the impact that it had.  I can't rank this above or below US/Algeria from last year.  Simply amazing and was again reminded why return reward for watching live sports can be exponentially greater than the 2 hours investment put in.  For those that gutted it out to the end... :thumbsup:

Disappointing and offputting was the histrionics of Marta.  She made Cristiano Ronaldo look like the model of class and sportsmanship.

Ruckus

A dream matchup - US/Japan

While I'll be happy either way, I will be pulling for Japan.  What another great day of World Cup it was yesterday.  Pretty remarkable how much the technical skill of the women's game has advanced exponentially over the last decade.

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 14, 2011, 10:04 AM

While I'll be happy either way, I will be pulling for Japan.  What another great day of World Cup it was yesterday.  Pretty remarkable how much the technical skill of the women's game has advanced exponentially over the last decade.

I was wondering who you would be pulling for.  I didn't want to post anything in here yesterday that might have spoiled it for you.  US is lucky to have advanced, that match could have easily gone the other way.  Your girl Alex had a pretty sweet goal, although she should have one (if not two) more.  Should be a great final.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 14, 2011, 10:12 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 14, 2011, 10:04 AM

I was wondering who you would be pulling for.  I didn't want to post anything in here yesterday that might have spoiled it for you.  US is lucky to have advanced, that match could have easily gone the other way.  Your girl Alex had a pretty sweet goal, although she should have one (if not two) more.  Should be a great final.
Damn!  That was thoughtful of you.   :beer:  I worked til 8 but denied myself all smartphone access and got through watching both before midnight.  Not to sound like a broken record or sappy but the meaning of this performance on the collective Japanese spirit has been remarkable from my understanding.  Regardless of the outcome, what a sensational, uplifting run it has been for the Japanese side.  They really do play a beautiful passing game and have overcome ridiculous size disadvantages in each match along the way.

You're right about the US.  Though they were getting owned in the midfield for much of the match, I never felt like they would lose.  I don't know why.  That was such an entertaining game.  France plays a gorgeous game as well.  Who knows what happens if Bompastor doesn't hit the crossbar on that beautiful short corner set piece the French had.  Also, Pia Sundhage made the change that Foudy had recommended in the Brazil match but didn't do this time around when she put Cheney in the middle, Rapinoe wide, and pulled Lloyd.  Pretty brilliant.  Of course we know that putting Morgan in is always the right move.

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

iLikeBeer

The rules of soccer are why it will never be truly embraced in the US like it is in the rest of the world, especially their rules concerning OT and PK's to end World Cup Finals?!

First of all, why is there a need to play TWO overtime periods regardless of the score at the end of the first 15 minutes of extra time?  I much preferred things when it was a golden goal to end the match.  It just makes NO sense to me how one team scores in OT what should be a game ending score, yet because of screwy international rules, the US not only had to finish off the first extra time period, but also another 15 minutes of extra time to kill off so that Japan could have the chance to tie the game and thus, force us to have to endure the most disappointing way to settle such a meaningful tournament?!  It is beyond me how the powers that be in FIFA cannot figure out that this is a HORRIBLE way to end a soccer match, especially one with the significance that a World Cup final brings, be it men or women?!  Oh well. In the end, the US put themselves in that situation by not capitalizing on the many many opportunities they had to put that match to bed.  I really was quite surprised to see how much the US pretty much outplayed Japan for most of that match given how Japan was playing coming into that finals match.  It was definitely some quality football to watch even though it's ending left a lot to be desired.

Now that my rant is out of the way, I would like to say congrats to the ladies from Japan on an outstanding tournament.  I'm disappointed that the US didn't finish the job, but if they were going to lose to any team in this World Cup it might as well be Japan.  I was happy to see the US get over on probably 2 of my least favorite teams in the tournament in Brazil and France.  And while it would have been great to see them bring home the trophy, Japan was a deserving winner and I am happy for them and their country as a whole.  Hopefully this win can help in some small way in the huge healing process from the tragedy that happened just a few short months ago.

capt. scotty

Agreed on all P-Funk....what were they vs Japan, 22-0-3, I believe??? So not only do they lose to them for the first time, but they do so by blowing a 1 goal lead twice, and probably putting on the most horrific PK performance ever (Id assume). IMO, what really killed them was not scoring when they had all those opps in the first 15-20 minutes. How can such a talented team kick ball after ball into the damn mezzanine?!  :o
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons