NCAA Basketball 2011-2012

Started by TheThird, Nov 09, 2011, 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheThird

It's never too early to start discussing NCAA Basketball! So who are you rooting for? Who's going all the way? Player of the Year? Biggest season surprises? March Madness is right around the corner so get ready!  ;)
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

capt. scotty

Im not really an NBA fan and dont watch it until the playoffs, but I feel for some reason like I'll be watching more college bball this year for some reason because of the lockout.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

iLikeBeer

Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 09, 2011, 11:08 PM
Im not really an NBA fan and dont watch it until the playoffs, but I feel for some reason like I'll be watching more college bball this year for some reason because of the lockout.
I'm with you.  Although, to be honest, the lockout won't have any affect on me watching more college basketball.  I've always preferred the college game over the pro game in this sport.

Tracy 2112

Big college fan here, but I don't really get rolling with it until January.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 10, 2011, 08:41 AM

Yeah.  Once the conference portion of the schedule gets going is when I really start getting into it.

Also, I live in a D3 college town here in Ohio and they have a pretty darn good basketball program and I REALLY get into following these kids.  They were the D3 national runner-ups last season.   Not the great athletes you see in DI, but from a fundamentals standpoint, they can hang with anyone.  It's pretty enjoyable to watch the game how it was meant to be played by kids who aren't playing for a scholarship or for a future in hoops, but because they love to play the game.

Penny Lane

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 10, 2011, 10:46 AM

Yeah.  Once the conference portion of the schedule gets going is when I really start getting into it.

Also, I live in a D3 college town here in Ohio and they have a pretty darn good basketball program and I REALLY get into following these kids.  They were the D3 national runner-ups last season.   Not the great athletes you see in DI, but from a fundamentals standpoint, they can hang with anyone.  It's pretty enjoyable to watch the game how it was meant to be played by kids who aren't playing for a scholarship or for a future in hoops, but because they love to play the game.

Who is your D3 school?

I love the D3 football rivalry, too..
My undergrad had a big rivalry with John Carroll and Mount Union
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: TheThird on Nov 09, 2011, 08:45 PM
It's never too early to start discussing NCAA Basketball! So who are you rooting for? Who's going all the way? Player of the Year? Biggest season surprises? March Madness is right around the corner so get ready!  ;)

Well duh..

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 10, 2011, 11:04 AM

Who is your D3 school?

My D3 school was actually Westminster College in PA.  I swam there and we had a pretty good football team when I was there.

But, The College of Wooster is whom I was referring to above.  They get a pretty good amount of support from the local community including myself.  They have a big rivalry with Wittenberg in hoops.  Did you go to B-W for undergrad?

capt. scotty

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 10, 2011, 11:09 AM

Well duh..

They going to choke again? Hopefully they got some good freshman because Im pretty sure Deibler and Lighty graduated, right?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

kotchishm

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 10, 2011, 12:45 PM

Who is your D3 school?

I'm praying my alma mater (Hampden-Sydney) doesn't have to face Mount Union in the playoffs.  Judging their luck they will though.  They play the Stagg Bowl in my hometown every year, always fun.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

kotchishm

Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 10, 2011, 01:21 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 10, 2011, 11:09 AM

Well duh..

They going to choke again? Hopefully they got some good freshman because Im pretty sure Deibler and Lighty graduated, right?

I think they'll be very tough they return Sullinger, Craft, and Buford and added 2 talented wing players (Ross and Thompson) and a center in Amir Williams.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Penny Lane

the buzz has been that their bench has been deep the last couple years and those guys are GOOD, also Buford is way underrated and will probably become OSU's highest scorer of all time this year..

rmpotsy

Quote from: kotchishm on Nov 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 10, 2011, 12:45 PM

Who is your D3 school?

I'm praying my alma mater (Hampden-Sydney) doesn't have to face Mount Union in the playoffs.  Judging their luck they will though.  They play the Stagg Bowl in my hometown every year, always fun.

i had a buddy go to hampden-sydney, how old are you?
out go the lights it begins

iLikeBeer

Wooster played and beat Hampden-Sydney in the 3rd place game of the Final Four several years ago in Wooster's first trip to Salem for the Final Four.

BTW, it's now the University of Mount Union.  I still can't get used to saying that...  ::)

kotchism, have you been to the Stagg Bowl?  I've heard it's a good time.  The Stagg Bowl has turned into the Wisconsin Whitewater v. Mount Union Bowl of late though...

kotchishm

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
Wooster played and beat Hampden-Sydney in the 3rd place game of the Final Four several years ago in Wooster's first trip to Salem for the Final Four.

BTW, it's now the University of Mount Union.  I still can't get used to saying that...  ::)

kotchism, have you been to the Stagg Bowl?  I've heard it's a good time.  The Stagg Bowl has turned into the Wisconsin Whitewater v. Mount Union Bowl of late though...

Yes its played at a local high school stadium (Salem) its a good time. Mount Union is very repetitive though.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Tracy 2112

OK, I hesitate to say this, but I think Vanderbilt may be the real deal. They are firing on all cylinders and even though they are Vandy with a unique tradition of choking (SOV= Same Old Vanderbilt) I have been watching all season and they got something. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the SEC leading scorer in John Jenkins.

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.