Favorite horror movies/recommendations

Started by seamus, Oct 24, 2010, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
So far this month I've watched - Rosemary's Baby, From Hell, Peeping Tom, Frenzy, and The Chaser (awesome korean thriller, have you seen this Jamoie?) and  a heavy dose of True Blood. I'm in the mood to rewatch these soon - The Orphanage, Dead man's Shoes.

Haven't watched The Chaser, but will ASAP.

Since it's stormy here (very windy and heavy rains), I think I'll watch The Wolfman tonight when I get home from work (after the Leafs-Bruins game). Before you chime in, it's the original Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr. Fuck the brutal remake.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
So far this month I've watched - Rosemary's Baby, From Hell, Peeping Tom, Frenzy, and The Chaser (awesome korean thriller, have you seen this Jamoie?) and  a heavy dose of True Blood. I'm in the mood to rewatch these soon - The Orphanage, Dead man's Shoes.

Since it's stormy here (very windy and heavy rains), I think I'll watch The Wolfman tonight when I get home from work (after the Leafs-Bruins game). Before you chime in, it's the original Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr. Fuck the brutal remake.

I was amazed how bad, well mediocre, The Wolfman remake was despite having Benicio, Anthony Hopkins, and Emily Blunt
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 20, 2011, 03:48 PM

I was amazed how bad, well mediocre, The Wolfman remake was despite having Benicio, Anthony Hopkins, and Emily Blunt

I've avoided it so far. I'm a huge fan of the classics and classic horror and waited a long time to watch the Lon Chaney version. Tonight seems perfect.

peafunk31

Agreed, the remake was a letdown

Here are some of my fav werewolf flicks:

The Howling
Dog Soldiers
An American Werewolf in London
Brotherhood of the Wolf (sort of a werewolf movie)
Gingersnaps (it's OK, not great)

I'm not a huge fan of the Underworld movies so I didn't include them
Homer no function beer well without.

capt. scotty

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 20, 2011, 04:03 PM

The Howling
Dog Soldiers

No Jack Nicholson's Wolf?

Jaimoe

The Howling
Dog Soldiers

Shockingly, I haven't seen Gingersnaps given its a cult Canadian film. Fucking Dog Soldiers and Brotherhood of the Wolf rule!! For those not familiar with Dog Soldiers, it was directed by the same man that later helmed The Descent. Brotherhood is crazy fun, and kind of scary. I'll never watch an Underworld movie.

I can't stress enough for everyone to see the classic horror-comedy, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Lugosi, Price, Glen Strange (as the Monster) and Lon Chaney as their famous horror characters and trying to hunt down the comic duo in a mansion, and it works beautifully as well as being creepy and horror-authentic. Well done!!!

peafunk31

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 20, 2011, 04:16 PM

The Howling
Dog Soldiers

meh, Wolf was OK. I wasn't tremendously impressed by it. Worth a watch for sure, though.

If you haven't seen Dog Soldiers or Brotherhood of the Wolf, do so! Like Jaimoe said, they fucking rule!

peafunk31

QuoteI can't stress enough for everyone to see the classic horror-comedy, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Lugosi, Price, Glen Strange (as the Monster) and Lon Chaney as their famous horror characters and trying to hunt down the comic duo in a mansion, and it works beautifully as well as being creepy and horror-authentic. Well done!!!

I have to admit I have not seen many of the classic horror movies. Not really sure why either. I guess I have some homework to do :thumbsup:

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

johnnYYac

Le Weekend Dans Le Sang (Bloody Weekend)

A movie I made in high school, won the Grand Prix at the NH Foreign Language Festival in 1983.  No lie.

The whole script was in French.  It was horribly violent and gory, but we showed it to hundreds of students and adults and it was quite popular.

My dad as the doctor, me as the escaped lunatic.

Kev gets knifed.

Abe gets forked.

That's a chainsaw I'm holding.

They'd never let something like this get made in high school these days.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jaimoe

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 20, 2011, 10:55 PM
Le Weekend Dans Le Sang (Bloody Weekend)

A movie I made in high school, won the Grand Prix at the NH Foreign Language Festival in 1983.  No lie.

The whole script was in French.  It was horribly violent and gory, but we showed it to hundreds of students and adults and it was quite popular.

My dad as the doctor, me as the escaped lunatic.

Kev gets knifed.

Abe gets forked.

That's a chainsaw I'm holding.

They'd never let something like this get made in high school these days.

Can I find it on Blu-ray?

johnnYYac

Sadly, out of print.  I believe I have the original VHS and some guy I strangled has a copy.  Sorry for the self promotion.  I just forgot about it until tonight.  It is pretty horrible by today's "standards" but was a blast to make.  I always wanted to remake it, because back then, we shot the entire 20 minute film in sequence to avoid post-production editing.  The equipment was so burdensome - three pieces, each  the size of a briefcase, including camera, tape player, and battery pack.  The soundtrack was a mix of Alien and Outland, with Adam and the Ants during the ending credits - "Beat My Guest".

Penny Lane

JYac--that's awesome!...complete with an Adam and the Ants soundtrack..

This thread is so cool, I learned so much. I've never seen most of these movies but I love THE THING (the original) ..guess it's not horror?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

johnnYYac

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 20, 2011, 11:28 PM

This thread is so cool, I learned so much. I've never seen most of these movies but I love THE THING (the original) ..guess it's not horror?
Oh, The Thing is horror.  Do you mean Carpenter's remake from 1982 or the 1951 original? 

peafunk31

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 20, 2011, 11:34 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 20, 2011, 11:28 PM

Oh, The Thing is horror.  Do you mean Carpenter's remake from 1982 or the 1951 original?

Horror be damned, I feel Carpenter's 1982 The Thing is a straight up incredible movie. Screw genres, it's just flat out awesome. The mood, music, effects & acting are top notch. I've never felt so distrusting of so many characters in one film.

Jyac, I appluad you on your filmaking endeavor! It must have been a blast to make 8)

capt. scotty

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 20, 2011, 04:16 PM

The Howling
Dog Soldiers

meh, Wolf was OK. I wasn't tremendously impressed by it. Worth a watch for sure, though.

If you haven't seen Dog Soldiers or Brotherhood of the Wolf, do so! Like Jaimoe said, they fucking rule!

I was mostly joking. Wolf was good in that it didnt take itself seriously, had Nicholson in top smarmy form, and is entertaining. its not great by any stretch.

Im familiar with Brotherhood, never heard of Dog Soldiers, havent seen either. I'll have to add them to the Netflix queue

peafunk31

Quote from: TEO on Oct 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
Christine

I liked Christine. It's been so long since I've read the book (@ 15 years) that I can't remember how close it it was to the novel. Regardless, I thought the film was pretty wel done.

Oddly enough, Christine is not the only pyscho car story that King has created. He also penned "From a Buick 8". Although unless you've read the Dark Tower series I would think that a bunch of references in Buick 8 would go unnoticed

Penny Lane

JY/PeaFunk----The Carpenter remake of THE THING, one of my favorite movies, period..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

megalicious

I'm more into scary, supernatural flicks than gore. My favorite "scary" movies are listed below. I love watching them this time of year!

The Others
Paranormal Activity Trilogy
The Orphanage
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Insidious
The Omen (original is better, though Liev Schriber brings some hotness to the remake)
The Haunting in Connecticut
Poltergiest (I mean, come on. This movie is all kinds of rad)

I also LOVE the series "A Haunting" that used to run on The Discovery Channel. I love the folklore behind a good ghost story.

And speaking of spooky TV, if you're not watching FX's "American Horror Story," you are missing out. It's amazing; there are so many layers to this show. I'm hooked.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard