the Hipster Scene

Started by wolof7, Nov 19, 2010, 09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteI am such a hipster that I sniffed "pshhhh....so 2006" to all of the band references in this thread.   ;D

I think what y'all are describing are scenesters, not true hipsters.  Scenesters don't really have anything to say, but the hipster folk I know are the people actually out creating the art/music/literary scene that the scenesters then latch onto for identity.

Semantics are such a hipstery thing to argue, I know.   :P

love this post, you f'in hipster.
;D ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ManNamedTruth

I don't see that many hipsters here in suburban PA, only see them sometimes at shows in Pittsburgh. I like I Heart Huckabees, hope that doesn't make me a hipster.  ;)
I like what I want to like and don't really fit into any groups, I too enjoy ribs, hockey, fantasy sports, etc as well as watching foreign movies and listening to indie music.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Ruckus

QuoteI am such a hipster that I sniffed "pshhhh....so 2006" to all of the band references in this thread.   ;D

I think what y'all are describing are scenesters, not true hipsters.  Scenesters don't really have anything to say, but the hipster folk I know are the people actually out creating the art/music/literary scene that the scenesters then latch onto for identity.

love this post, you f'in hipster.
;D ;)
U beat me to it.   a hipster's hipster.   ;D  
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

walterfredo

I stayed in Brooklyn during the majority of the T5 run, and my friend lived a few blocks from the Bedford subway stop, so that was our stop....it was quite hilarious.  I just can't help but to laugh.  

this website is always good for a few chuckles.

http://www.latfh.com/

Tracy 3000

He spent a good 6 seconds puring hot sauce into his fruit smoothie this morning at 9:15 (I am not lying about any of this).

If this is true than that is the most badass thing I've ever heard of.!

I'm going to spin Degüello tonight in honor of this story!
(I'm going to spin it even if it's not true!) 8-)

It's true. I was wondering what he was pouring in there and I checked it out (and my friend Richard (who's 68) checked out what he was driving, some sort of SUV  that he couldn't identify. Black, of course)

Funny, b/c we meet there for coffee every other month, and last year we saw her there. She looked like a 12 year old girl.

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

br00ke

Quote....

o0o0h i actually agree with you 210% .. like i said, whenever this convo comes up i have a hard time conveying my thoughts. during the T5 run i was hanging out with DanZ and we had the very same discussion. i tried to explain what i thought a true hipster was which is basically what you said Lady A. i went to art school and with what i do for a living, living where i do, and hanging out with the people in the places i do .. you'd probably consider me a hipster if i wasn't so into phish & a huge hippie at heart ;)

that said .. the extreme stereotypes being described and bitched about in this thread do exist and are worthy of an eye-roll .. but that can be said about any group of like-minded people

pawpaw

;D One of my cousins used to have a picture on the latfh.com site. Oakland hipster.

We used to call them "clones." They place too much importance on where they live and what they're listening to and which bars they drink at, though these priorities certainly aren't unique to them. I always thought of them as one of the snottiest of the scenes that are soley based on "what you're into" rather than "what you can do." You don't need to be able to do shit to be a hipster, and the internet makes it easy to find out what's cool.

Their props and costumes are easy to identify (fixed gear bikes, thick rimmed glasses), but their common beliefs are a little trickier. I'd say the belief in the absolute superiority of urban living is the common unifier though. All the little wannabe hipsters in the suburbs and country towns want to get to the city.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

wolof7

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Crispy

I'm more than a little pissed that wearing a cardigan and rolling my own cigarettes now make me appear to be a(n aging) hipster.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ALady

You've all seen my glasses.   :-/ :-[
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

QuoteI'm more than a little pissed that wearing a cardigan and rolling my own cigarettes now make me appear to be a(n aging) hipster.

still leaving a fuse on your rolly's Crispy??!!  ;D

I blame The Strokes for all hipsters*

(*I actually do like the Strokes, but I dont think I'm cool enough (or skinny enough - damn skinny jeans) to be a hipster. Does not being cool make you cool these days, I cant keep up...?)
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Emo's are a spin off of Goth kids, they dress stupid but have emotions, unlike the dark gothic stranglings..

Hipster's are a spin off of Emo kinds, only instead of being sad they are angry and pretentious.  They are essentially pretentious art kids,  well actually, I'd say 10percent are art kids and the other 90percent are posers.  they are 100percent lame tho.  

AlwxanderD10

QuoteEmo's are a spin off of Goth kids, they dress stupid but have emotions, unlike the dark gothic stranglings..

Hipster's are a spin off of Emo kinds, only instead of being sad they are angry and pretentious.  They are essentially pretentious art kids,  well actually, I'd say 10percent are art kids and the other 90percent are posers.  they are 100percent lame tho.  
This is is a little off topic but I saw some goth kidd wearing a shirt the other day that said "you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because your all the same" haha it was halarious.

Ps- hipsters suck

br00ke

QuoteYou've all seen my glasses.   :-/ :-[

maggie .. i'd love to have a convo with you about this in person. i'm sure we'd agree all the way and laugh while drinking bourbon  8-)

Soulshine

QuoteI'm more than a little pissed that wearing a cardigan and rolling my own cigarettes now make me appear to be a(n aging) hipster.

still leaving a fuse on your rolly's Crispy??!!  ;D

I blame The Strokes for all hipsters*

(*I actually do like the Strokes, but I dont think I'm cool enough (or skinny enough - damn skinny jeans) to be a hipster. Does not being cool make you cool these days, I cant keep up...?)

You are the coolest my friend.

Because we're all in this together...

ALady

maggie .. i'd love to have a convo with you about this in person. i'm sure we'd agree all the way and laugh while drinking bourbon  8-)

Hell yes! And I love bourbon...shoot, is that hipstery too?   :-?

br00ke

no .. liking bourbon is just called having good taste   :)

ALady

Jaimoe

Hipsters really hate it when you know and understand what they are talking, especially when you add to the conversation. And they really don't like it if you know more about certain hipster topics than they do.  

Ruckus

no .. liking bourbon is just called having good taste   :)
Swooning over both of you :-* :-* [smiley=beer.gif]

The day that bourbon becomes an adopted hipster beverage is the day I'll teach 'em how to drink.

Hey Maggie, PBR and bourbon special...sans PBR
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head