the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

I read East of Eden over the holidays and now reading World on Fire and Guns, Germs, and Steel for one of my classes (really blowing my mind)...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Soulshine

I just started Born to Run by Christopher McDougall...this is going to be amazing...
Because we're all in this together...

Crispy

QuoteI read East of Eden over the holidays and now reading World on Fire and Guns, Germs, and Steel for one of my classes (really blowing my mind)...
Guns, Germs, and Steel is excellent! Really an eye-opener, it makes you think so differently about the evolution of societies.

I've been reading a lot of post-apocalyptica and science/speculative fiction, and right now it's Anathem, by Neal Stephenson. It's huge, but I'm getting into it now, and it is really good.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Hawkeye

Reading "A New Earth" by Eckart Tolle.  I don't know how to explain it.  The subtitle is "Awakening to Your Life's Purpose."  Basically it explains how you are not really the thoughts inside your head.  Well, you are, but that's by no means all you are.  You are the awareness that is aware.  The Being behind the voice inside your head.  The voice in your head is your ego, that associates EVERYTHING with "I" and "me."  These attachments to I and me are the cause of suffering.  We need to learn to be Present.  Alert and fully experiencing the moment at hand.  I'm only about halfway through, but this is what I've gotten out of it so far.  If you need a spiritual kick in the pants, this is a good book.  It also tends to get your focus off of yourself and into "the moment."
We could.

Soulshine

QuoteReading "A New Earth" by Eckart Tolle.  I don't know how to explain it.  The subtitle is "Awakening to Your Life's Purpose."  Basically it explains how you are not really the thoughts inside your head.  Well, you are, but that's by no means all you are.  You are the awareness that is aware.  The Being behind the voice inside your head.  The voice in your head is your ego, that associates EVERYTHING with "I" and "me."  These attachments to I and me are the cause of suffering.  We need to learn to be Present.  Alert and fully experiencing the moment at hand.  I'm only about halfway through, but this is what I've gotten out of it so far.  If you need a spiritual kick in the pants, this is a good book.  It also tends to get your focus off of yourself and into "the moment."

His books are pretty great, man! I really had to really take my time to absorb everything and put it into practice. Enjoy it!

Hawkeye

QuoteReading "A New Earth" by Eckart Tolle.  I don't know how to explain it.  The subtitle is "Awakening to Your Life's Purpose."  Basically it explains how you are not really the thoughts inside your head.  Well, you are, but that's by no means all you are.  You are the awareness that is aware.  The Being behind the voice inside your head.  The voice in your head is your ego, that associates EVERYTHING with "I" and "me."  These attachments to I and me are the cause of suffering.  We need to learn to be Present.  Alert and fully experiencing the moment at hand.  I'm only about halfway through, but this is what I've gotten out of it so far.  If you need a spiritual kick in the pants, this is a good book.  It also tends to get your focus off of yourself and into "the moment."

His books are pretty great, man! I really had to really take my time to absorb everything and put it into practice. Enjoy it!

Hey Soulshine!  Which of his books have you read?  Just this one or others?  They are really refreshing and make you think!  I never realized the ego was so powerful!  It is hard to shake off old habits, but I am trying.
We could.

Soulshine

Hey Soulshine!  Which of his books have you read?  Just this one or others?  They are really refreshing and make you think!  I never realized the ego was so powerful!  It is hard to shake off old habits, but I am trying.

I read that one and The Power of Now. I know what you are saying..I've been thinking I actually need to go back and re-read them again. Its hard to break those habits, but dont give up!

Soulshine

Entering The Castle by Caroline Myss (foreword by Ken Wilber)

Her books are really good

fitzcarraldo

Saw an article on the forum in the last few months, a big reco for Japanese author Haruki Murakami's 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle'.  So I just wanted to say thanks, I loved it.  Recently finished:

:o  Thanks again, this forum sure can be is a treasure trove.  (had to come back and fix that)

dragonboy

QuoteSaw an article on the forum in the last few months, a big reco for Japanese author Haruki Murakami's 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle'.  So I just wanted to say thanks, I loved it.  Recently finished:

:o  Thanks again, this forum sure can be is a treasure trove.  (had to come back and fix that)
How strange...I'm currently reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

johnnYYac

Not currently reading this, but will pick it up again.  I reread it at least once every few years.  The best novel I've read is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Its about a boy (me) named John (me) who grew up in New Hampshire (me) and went to the University of New Hampshire (me).  The parallels end there but its a fantastic story, ruined in a film adaptation that even changed the name of the main character (Simon Birch, anyone?).

The title character's voice is always represented in the text as all caps.  It reminds me of how the words of Jesus were always shown differently in the New Testament.  There is a connection there.  A savior, a sacrifice, and lots and lots of sinning!

Some love it and some HATE it.  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

TheBigChicken

The Long Ball  by Tom Adelman....about the '75 World Series...great book...anybdy want it ?  pm me.....
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Crispy

QuoteNot currently reading this, but will pick it up again.  I reread it at least once every few years.  The best novel I've read is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Its about a boy (me) named John (me) who grew up in New Hampshire (me) and went to the University of New Hampshire (me).  The parallels end there but its a fantastic story, ruined in a film adaptation that even changed the name of the main character (Simon Birch, anyone?).

The title character's voice is always represented in the text as all caps.  It reminds me of how the words of Jesus were always shown differently in the New Testament.  There is a connection there.  A savior, a sacrifice, and lots and lots of sinning!

I love me some John Irving. Owen Meany isn't my favorite, but it's great. I think I'll be picking up Hotel New Hampshire again soon. The movies somehow ruin them, don't they? I thought The Cider House Rules was wonderful, but the movie did the book no justice. Garp may be a different animal.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

mjkoehler

QuoteNot currently reading this, but will pick it up again.  I reread it at least once every few years.  The best novel I've read is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

I love me some John Irving. Owen Meany isn't my favorite, but it's great. I think I'll be picking up Hotel New Hampshire again soon. The movies somehow ruin them, don't they? I thought The Cider House Rules was wonderful, but the movie did the book no justice. Garp may be a different animal.
Yes, Garp is a different animal. Love both the book and the movie (and that says a lot as I hate Robin Williams)

Paulie_Walnuts

QuoteFreakonimics for fun

Collaborative, Competency-Based Counseling and Therapy for work

and I recomend A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving.

Plus, Jesus' Son, a collection of short stories by Denis Johnson'''whhoooo buddy!

John Irving books remind me of my teenage years! Thanks for that Tracy, I might have to revisit.
Paulie W

Soulshine

One of my best friends lost her Mother suddenly on November 3. She has had several of her patients refer her to 90 Minutes in Heaven and has asked me to read it first in order to be sure it would be good for her. I'm about 1/2 way through and not yet sure how I feel about it.

Ruckus

I just finished Columbine.  Quite the sobering reminder I guess. :-/  Back when I was in school and clerking, I drafted the new mental health records privacy waiver for purchasing firearms in Maryland following the panic caused by Va. Tech.

I'm not sure what to think of the book but I guess I'm glad I read it.

Now for a cheery book :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Soulshine

-When You Are Engulfed In Flames

-Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang

Both made me  ;D until I  :'(

Now

Genius Of The Absurd

mjkoehler

Quote-When You Are Engulfed In Flames

Now

Genius Of The Absurd
We were excited to see Chelsea announce a St Louis date for the CCBB Tour....until I saw the ticket prices. I will not be supporting her vodka habit based on the prices ($75 YIKES).

Soulshine

Quote-When You Are Engulfed In Flames

Now

Genius Of The Absurd
We were excited to see Chelsea announce a St Louis date for the CCBB Tour....until I saw the ticket prices. I will not be supporting her vodka habit based on the prices ($75 YIKES).

No shi*t?! I know she was just in Denver, but I totally missed it!