the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
i read Lonesome Dove years ago and feel in love SO HARD. such a good book that i almost wanted to cry over finishing the book.

Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite books.  :)

I figure there should be a religion based on the wisdom of Gus, or at least a calendar with an awesome one-liner of his for each day.

I just picked up The Big Sleep from the library a few days ago, haven't started it yet.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Penny Lane

Quote from: bbill on Jan 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
i read Lonesome Dove years ago and feel in love SO HARD. such a good book that i almost wanted to cry over finishing the book.

I figure there should be a religion based on the wisdom of Gus, or at least a calendar with an awesome one-liner of his for each day.

I just picked up The Big Sleep from the library a few days ago, haven't started it yet.

inspiring me to pull this out again..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: Fully on Jan 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Has anyone read What it is Like to go to War by Karl Marlantes?  I just downloaded it onto my e-reader. It looks like it would be a really good nonfiction companion to Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. I'm going to work on it this weekend, but I've got a feeling it's not going to be a book I can read straight through. I'll have to set it aside and come back to it on occasions. Cormac McCarthy's The Road was like that too. Although I forced myself to keep reading it because if I had drug reading that book out too long, I might have gone off the deep end - perhaps the most disturbing, depressing book I've ever read.

loved The Things They Carried---(did you also read Tomcat Love?)

for some reason didn't care for The Road (yeah, i know i'm alone in that)

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
Has anyone read What it is Like to go to War by Karl Marlantes?  I just downloaded it onto my e-reader. It looks like it would be a really good nonfiction companion to Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. I'm going to work on it this weekend, but I've got a feeling it's not going to be a book I can read straight through. I'll have to set it aside and come back to it on occasions. Cormac McCarthy's The Road was like that too. Although I forced myself to keep reading it because if I had drug reading that book out too long, I might have gone off the deep end - perhaps the most disturbing, depressing book I've ever read.

Nope, you're not alone about hating The Road. I wanted to kill myself while I was reading  it. It was so depressing. That poor little kid. The mother was better off having killed herself before the book even started.

I haven't read Tomcat Love. I'll check it out. O'Brien's Going After Cacciato is really good too.

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Jan 16, 2012, 09:02 PM

Nope, you're not alone about hating The Road. I wanted to kill myself while I was reading  it. It was so depressing. That poor little kid. The mother was better off having killed herself before the book even started.

I haven't read Tomcat Love. I'll check it out. O'Brien's Going After Cacciato is really good too.

SPOILER ALERT

J/K. I also thought The Road was the most horrible, frightening, depressing book I'd ever read, but it was also awesome.

If I could ever finish Infinite Jest, I'd be tempted to go visit McMurtry again. Wonderful stuff.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 17, 2012, 08:56 AM

SPOILER ALERT

J/K. I also thought The Road was the most horrible, frightening, depressing book I'd ever read, but it was also awesome.

If I could ever finish Infinite Jest, I'd be tempted to go visit McMurtry again. Wonderful stuff.
No Country is the only McCarthy I've read and I thought it made a better movie screenplay than it did a novel. 

I was a huge fan of The Things They Carried though.  What would be the next O'Brien book any of you would recommend?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 17, 2012, 09:11 AM

SPOILER ALERT

No Country is the only McCarthy I've read and I thought it made a better movie screenplay than it did a novel. 

I was a huge fan of The Things They Carried though.  What would be the next O'Brien book any of you would recommend?

Going After Cacciato is really good, Ruckus. It has this dreamlike quality to it. It takes awhile to figure out what's real and what isn't. He explores that theme in TTTC some as well.

WSS2

Wooo!  Here's my life / reading for the next 5 months!  F to the M to the L

The CFA Level 2 Essential Study Package!

pawpaw

Quote from: Fully on Jan 17, 2012, 09:35 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 17, 2012, 09:11 AM

SPOILER ALERT

Going After Cacciato is really good, Ruckus. It has this dreamlike quality to it. It takes awhile to figure out what's real and what isn't. He explores that theme in TTTC some as well.

That is a good rec, Fully. I also really liked July, July. It's about a group of college friends coming back together for a class reunion. If I remember correctly, the chapters alternate between the reunion, and then a defining experience from one of the classmate's lives in the big stretch of life post-graduation. It's a good book.

Penny Lane

I would recommend Tomcat Love for O'Brien (think I wrote above-not sure who asked)

whoever said they wanted to finish Infinite Jest--my friend finally finished that after a year and told us all he wanted that entire year back...he was really annoyed...i feel that way about wanting to finish Gravity's Rainbow and Guns, Germs and Steel.

for Cormac McCarthy--i loved All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing, but could not finish Blood Meredian (which is supposed to be his magnum opus)..maybe it was too graphic for me (doubt it, i'm a pretty graphic person) ..i just couldn't get into it--i even bought Ben Nichols' solo album (Lucero frontman) because he wrote his solo album based on it...so i guess i'm not a C McCarthy completist--some of it is hit or miss for me..Plus i hated The Road...

Ruckus

Thanks for the recs guys.  I think Tomcat Love was the one my brother recommended next but the others sound intriguing as well.  Wolof's got me all excited about reading about sky piracy too!

Owen Meany brings back memories ;D  I read that book because it was the girl I started dating's favorite book many years back.  The things you'll do...

Swedgin

I just finsihed a fantastic book on Mississippi John Hurt. The first 1/3 of the book gets a bit tedious (since not much was known about him, but after his rediscovery, it picks up quite a bit of steam.

http://www.octaviabooks.com/book/9781617030086

subinai

lonesome dove is one of my favorite books ever.

reading the mole people now. its creepy.

Jon T.

I started reading this book based on this these posts.  I am hooked big time.  I'm not an avid reader, but when I start a book I was wonder why I don't read more than I do.  That being said, the character development is incredible.  This is also the first book I've literally laughed out loud at.  I ordered it on my phone so I had no idea how long it was.  I was kind of shocked to see it was 4,500 pages!  I'm only about half way and already not looking forward to it ending.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :thumbsup:

Penny Lane

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 14, 2012, 12:40 PM

I started reading this book based on this these posts.  I am hooked big time.  I'm not an avid reader, but when I start a book I was wonder why I don't read more than I do.  That being said, the character development is incredible.  This is also the first book I've literally laughed out loud at.  I ordered it on my phone so I had no idea how long it was.  I was kind of shocked to see it was 4,500 pages!  I'm only about half way and already not looking forward to it ending.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :thumbsup:

i'm reading again--about 200 pages in..!
i'm headed home to visit my folks this weekend and have about 14 hours on a bus total-so i should get through a big chunk of it..

Jon T.

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 14, 2012, 12:59 PM

i'm headed home to visit my folks this weekend and have about 14 hours on a bus total-so i should get through a big chunk of it..

How many pages is the "real" book?  Like I said, I'm reading on my phone so the pages aren't accurate.  I'm a little past the Irishman's "accident" in the creek.  Freaked me the eff out! I am deathly afraid of snakes.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 14, 2012, 01:11 PM

How many pages is the "real" book?  Like I said, I'm reading on my phone so the pages aren't accurate.  I'm a little past the Irishman's "accident" in the creek.  Freaked me the eff out! I am deathly afraid of snakes.

i think mine is about 800 pages

pawpaw

That's great that you're enjoying it Jon! I've got a paperback copy, and I think it's about 1,000 pages...it's a big boy.

There are only about 4 or 5 books that I LOVE, and Lonesome Dove is absolutely one of them. For my money, it's the greatest American novel ever written, and it's just such a BIG, heroic, funny American story. The setting and characters and dialouge, all done so well, and the pace for such a big book is surprisingly fast and always engaging. And Gus would be the starting pitcher on the all-time-great literary characters baseball team.

Ruckus

Quote from: bbill on Feb 14, 2012, 01:44 PM

That's great that you're enjoying it Jon! I've got a paperback copy, and I think it's about 1,000 pages...it's a big boy.

There are only about 4 or 5 books that I LOVE, and Lonesome Dove is absolutely one of them. For my money, it's the greatest American novel ever written, and it's just such a BIG, heroic, funny American story. The setting and characters and dialouge, all done so well, and the pace for such a big book is surprisingly fast and always engaging. And Gus would be the starting pitcher on the all-time-great literary characters baseball team.
Alright, I just got this on hold at the library now.  First I must complete Clash of Kings before Season 2 airs...but then Lonesome Dove it is.  Thanks for the rec :beer:

lucylew

Just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire - 'twas ok.  Need a break from the trilogy so I just started Stephen King's latest - 11/22/63.  I've heard really good things about this one.