Help Ol' Choder go on a honeymoon

Started by el_chode, Aug 04, 2010, 09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

QuoteShe ruled out hopping around Europe for the Honeymoon (but will go back to hop around one day).

Her parents are from Poland and Czech Republic respectively, so there's plenty of reasons to go back.

But as for Croatia, that was our initial first choice, but the weather won't be favorable for the time of year we want to go unless we go to Dubrovnik, and that's only part of Croatia. A very small part.

aww that's right, you did say that about her parents. Croatia is on my bucket list...that whole region but mostly Croatia...

good luck, Chode. i'll be taking the bar exam the same time you are so we'll be commiserating together..

This might show my ignorance, but when I first thought of "Croatia" I pictured some land-locked war-torn nation somewhere near Russia that had a crazy language and lots of poor people that no one cares about in the Western world.

Then I saw pictures, realized it was across the sea from Italy with blue water and fantastic coastlines and has one of the strangest histories of any European nation and decided that I'm an idiot.

You're taking the Feb bar out in Ohio though right Penny?

bbill - I think that's the hotel she already looked at. Like I said, this is now steamrolling out of my control. How can I say no to her childhood dream? haha
I'm surrounded by assholes

Penny Lane

QuoteShe ruled out hopping around Europe for the Honeymoon (but will go back to hop around one day).

Her parents are from Poland and Czech Republic respectively, so there's plenty of reasons to go back.

But as for Croatia, that was our initial first choice, but the weather won't be favorable for the time of year we want to go unless we go to Dubrovnik, and that's only part of Croatia. A very small part.

aww that's right, you did say that about her parents. Croatia is on my bucket list...that whole region but mostly Croatia...

good luck, Chode. i'll be taking the bar exam the same time you are so we'll be commiserating together..

This might show my ignorance, but when I first thought of "Croatia" I pictured some land-locked war-torn nation somewhere near Russia that had a crazy language and lots of poor people that no one cares about in the Western world.

Then I saw pictures, realized it was across the sea from Italy with blue water and fantastic coastlines and has one of the strangest histories of any European nation and decided that I'm an idiot.

bbill - I think that's the hotel she already looked at. Like I said, this is now steamrolling out of my control. How can I say no to her childhood dream? haha

that's what everyone thinks about croatia, but i've seen pics and supposedly the beaches are unbelieveable. i was in Berlin last summer and met a bunch of law students from Serbia, Bosnia, and Croatia and they kind of gave me the inside scoop, political and geography wise, and about the land disputes that are still going on......i think bosnia is more war torn...i mean what people think of that region

oh and the bar exam, yes, that's the plan so far. i'm still trying to make payments on that BarBri program...WTF that's so $$....i think i have the balance down to 2,100 or something..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

Also, I would just like to plug scuba diving real quick. As a burnout in college, I needed to fill some credits and noticed "SCUBA" was an option. So I enrolled. It was probably one of the best decisions ever because not only was it fun, but it actually teaches you cool tricks, such as keeping your cool when you should be losing it. After all, when you panic 100 feet underwater, you can't shoot to the surface or else you'll die, and if you keep on panicking, you'll use up your air and die as well.

Anyway, it really opens up a lot of new fun activities when you go on vacations. Almost anywhere there is water there is a reason to dive, and many areas have vast swaths of sunken culture and history. The St. Lawrence River up by JohnnYY and folk in New England/Canada is a treasure trove of archaelogical artifacts that can be worth some decent change. If you ever go to Jamaica, there is the underwater tourism in the town of Port Royal that is basically a town that slid into the water in one piece because of all the "sin" (read: earthquake)

But yeah, you can get certified for a couple hundred bucks just about anywhere and once you get past the awkwardness of existing where you shouldn't be able to, being neutrally bouyant floating around a wreck or a reef is one of the most relaxing things you'll ever experience.

el_chode

that's what everyone thinks about croatia, but i've seen pics and supposedly the beaches are unbelieveable. i was in Berlin last summer and met a bunch of law students from Serbia, Bosnia, and Croatia and they kind of gave me the inside scoop, political and geography wise, and about the land disputes that are still going on......i think bosnia is more war torn...i mean what people think of that region

oh and the bar exam, yes, that's the plan so far. i'm still trying to make payments on that BarBri program...WTF that's so $$....i think i have the balance down to 2,100 or something..

Croatia has the unfortunate location of being near a major sea route and in that highly-trafficked area between the major empires of the near-east and Europe.

I learned a lot about it by watching Three Sheets with Zane Lamprey

Penny Lane

I give you all credit. I could never go scuba diving...i can't go too far under the water, I can picture my head exploding, like on a cartoon or something. I don't even want to go snorkeling and step on one of those stinger things. That stuff terrifies me more than sticking me in the middle of a highly trafficked area of Croatia.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

johnnYYac

QuoteAlso, I would just like to plug scuba diving real quick. As a burnout in college, I needed to fill some credits and noticed "SCUBA" was an option. So I enrolled. It was probably one of the best decisions ever because not only was it fun, but it actually teaches you cool tricks, such as keeping your cool when you should be losing it. After all, when you panic 100 feet underwater, you can't shoot to the surface or else you'll die, and if you keep on panicking, you'll use up your air and die as well.

Anyway, it really opens up a lot of new fun activities when you go on vacations. Almost anywhere there is water there is a reason to dive, and many areas have vast swaths of sunken culture and history. The St. Lawrence River up by JohnnYY and folk in New England/Canada is a treasure trove of archaelogical artifacts that can be worth some decent change. If you ever go to Jamaica, there is the underwater tourism in the town of Port Royal that is basically a town that slid into the water in one piece because of all the "sin" (read: earthquake)

But yeah, you can get certified for a couple hundred bucks just about anywhere and once you get past the awkwardness of existing where you shouldn't be able to, being neutrally bouyant floating around a wreck or a reef is one of the most relaxing things you'll ever experience.

Fun for the whole family!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

QuoteAlso, I would just like to plug scuba diving real quick. As a burnout in college, I needed to fill some credits and noticed "SCUBA" was an option. So I enrolled. It was probably one of the best decisions ever because not only was it fun, but it actually teaches you cool tricks, such as keeping your cool when you should be losing it. After all, when you panic 100 feet underwater, you can't shoot to the surface or else you'll die, and if you keep on panicking, you'll use up your air and die as well.

Some pretty sweet reefs there around the big island...just sayin' ;)

I'm big into lava too...but the volcano decide to stop flowing during the week I was there. Screw you, Pele!  [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif]
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

el_chode

QuoteI give you all credit. I could never go scuba diving...i can't go too far under the water, I can picture my head exploding, like on a cartoon or something. I don't even want to go snorkeling and step on one of those stinger things. That stuff terrifies me more than sticking me in the middle of a highly trafficked area of Croatia.

For what it's worth, I absolutely hate snorkling. The way I figure, if you're gonna get in the shower, you might as well get wet. If a shark is gonna eat me, I don't want to be helplessly floating on the surface, I want 3 dimensions of escape routes. Plus I HATE when you get a snorkel full of water.

With that said, your head would implode, and most dives only take you down to a max of like 60' for recreational divers, which is only three ear pops.

Remember: it's one of the only times you're encouraged to piss your pants.

el_chode

Some pretty sweet reefs there around the big island...just sayin' ;)

I'm big into lava too...but the volcano decide to stop flowing during the week I was there. Screw you, Pele!  [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you're there you can basically Island Hop pretty easily if you want to experience something on another island, right?

MarkW

How about Latin America?

If you want some cheap diving, the Bay Islands in Honduras are about as inexpensive as you can get.

San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua is likewise both pretty and cheap, and I think you can do some diving there.

If you're feeling very adventurous (and speak some Spanish), Los Roques is a beautiful archipelago off the coast of Venezuela.  Not sure how welcome US citizens are at the moment, though.

Brazil has some awesome beaches, and it's really cheap and easy to get around.  Salvador in the northern part of the country is a great city with beaches all around.  Rio is likewise a blast, but I don't know how much it costs to fly there from the USA.  It can get a bit hairy at night, though in either city.

Finally, we had a great time on the Yucutan peninsula in Mexico.  Avoid Cancun, but do go to Isla Mujeres which is a short ferry ride away.  Cheap to fly to from the USA.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

el_chode

QuoteHow about Latin America?

If you want some cheap diving, the Bay Islands in Honduras are about as inexpensive as you can get.

San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua is likewise both pretty and cheap, and I think you can do some diving there.

If you're feeling very adventurous (and speak some Spanish), Los Roques is a beautiful archipelago off the coast of Venezuela.  Not sure how welcome US citizens are at the moment, though.

Brazil has some awesome beaches, and it's really cheap and easy to get around.  Salvador in the northern part of the country is a great city with beaches all around.  Rio is likewise a blast, but I don't know how much it costs to fly there from the USA.  It can get a bit hairy at night, though in either city.

Finally, we had a great time on the Yucutan peninsula in Mexico.  Avoid Cancun, but do go to Isla Mujeres which is a short ferry ride away.  Cheap to fly to from the USA.

There were two issues with Latin America this time of year: Hurricanes and regional safety. I actually was looking into Belize, specifically Ambergris (Precious Hamburgers?) Caye, as well as Buenos Aires. She felt Buenos Aires would be too dangerous based on travel advisories. The rest of Central America is still fighting Hurricane season in October. I know it's a minimal chance, but anytime I've ever celebrated an event for a birthday, graduation, etc, it's coincided with major rain storms or hurricanes for some reason.

MarkW

There were two issues with Latin America this time of year: Hurricanes and regional safety. I actually was looking into Belize, specifically Ambergris (Precious Hamburgers?) Caye, as well as Buenos Aires. She felt Buenos Aires would be too dangerous based on travel advisories. The rest of Central America is still fighting Hurricane season in October. I know it's a minimal chance, but anytime I've ever celebrated an event for a birthday, graduation, etc, it's coincided with major rain storms or hurricanes for some reason.

Sorry - didn't realise you were going in October (perhaps should read posts more carefully).  Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, and about as safe as they come in South America.  Not too far away from Punta del Este in Uruguay if you need some beach time.  It's far from undeveloped, but it's about as chic as the beach gets (think Nice or St Tropez).

Didn't make it to Belize...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

el_chode

Sorry - didn't realise you were going in October (perhaps should read posts more carefully).  Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, and about as safe as they come in South America.  Not too far away from Punta del Este in Uruguay if you need some beach time.  It's far from undeveloped, but it's about as chic as the beach gets (think Nice or St Tropez).

Didn't make it to Belize...

I really want to visit Buenos Aires just because I have the impression that once you leave city proper there is a world of adventure with the Llanos or whatever the plains are called. Go far enough South and you're nearly at the bottom of the world.

She's been checking countries against travel.state.gov and they had advisories against most central american nations and Argentina for rampant petty crime which turned her off.

Belize looks beautiful to me, plus I think they have the most ruins per square mile.

MarkW

QuoteI really want to visit Buenos Aires just because I have the impression that once you leave city proper there is a world of adventure with the Llanos or whatever the plains are called. Go far enough South and you're nearly at the bottom of the world.

She's been checking countries against travel.state.gov and they had advisories against most central american nations and Argentina for rampant petty crime which turned her off.

Belize looks beautiful to me, plus I think they have the most ruins per square mile.

Argentina is my favourite Latin American country.  We travelled north to south, and made it all the way to Tierra del Fuego.  Some of the scenery on the way down through Patagonia was magical:

We hiked around Mount Fitzroy (this is not me, I've just stolen the image):

Scooted into Chile for Torres del Paine:

And back across for the Perito Moreno glacier:

Makes me want to go back!

el_chode

I think our life goal is to actually take a cruise to antarctica. Part of that requires you to tour the Tierra del Fuego as you prepare to embark for Antarctica. Problem: Those trips typically cost somehwere between 20 and 50k.

Of course, by the time I can afford that, the real question might be whether I want to go to antarctica or outer space haha

Still those pics are making me want to go there too. Otherworldly

jones

Three Sheets rulz (just like Kauai).

Did you see the Three Sheets Kentucky episode with McKenna?  Pleepleus is my hero.

el_chode

QuoteThree Sheets rulz (just like Kauai).

Did you see the Three Sheets Kentucky episode with McKenna?  Pleepleus is my hero.

Yes, I think I've seen nearly all of them. In fact, I've based a lot of my honeymoon impressions about Zane's experiences. I loved how in the majority of Latin American countries they were just people seemingly sitting in a grass hut drinking away. That's the nightlife I'm looking for.

tdb810

Bermuda Bermuda Bermuda
this is where we went two years ago -- 9 Beaches --off season not too pricey.  

Our cabana

.....Back at the Model Home

weeniebeenie

QuoteBermuda Bermuda Bermuda
this is where we went two years ago -- 9 Beaches --off season not too pricey.  

Our cabana

Wow! I'd go to this place Chode.

How loud can silence get?

Soulshine

Hey Choder, I was in Cozumel last year and met lots of peeps that come down just for the SCUBA. Good luck on your search!
Because we're all in this together...