Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteWell, after 3-1/2 months at a sweatshop, mistake of a job, I gave my 2 week notice today. I already have a new job lined up, one I'm positive will be a much more comfortable and balanced place to be.  :)

Oh no, sorry that didn't work out man.  Do you have to move again?  Hope not for you and your wife's sake.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

QuoteWell, after 3-1/2 months at a sweatshop, mistake of a job, I gave my 2 week notice today. I already have a new job lined up, one I'm positive will be a much more comfortable and balanced place to be.  :)

Oh no, sorry that didn't work out man.  Do you have to move again?  Hope not for you and your wife's sake.  

No moved required (thankfully). I'll probably even be able to still ride my bike to work on nice days!

Yeah, these past several months have been horrible...pretty consistent 55-70 hour weeks, many weekends gone. Some people can do it, I don't want to though. Plus, I just want to set myself up for a more balanced life with my family :)  

It seems like an all around better job, and I feel so damn relieved.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

bowl of soup

No moved required (thankfully). I'll probably even be able to still ride my bike to work on nice days!

Yeah, these past several months have been horrible...pretty consistent 55-70 hour weeks, many weekends gone. Some people can do it, I don't want to though. Plus, I just want to set myself up for a more balanced life with my family :)  

I hate every aspect of my profession.  It poisons my soul.  But I make my kids lunch every morning, see them at lunch almost every day, and my commute is about 5 minutes so even on late days we get to hang out for about 2 or 3 hours at night before bed (I teach them Pixies songs).  When my poisoned soul compels me to seek another calling (every day) - I think of that.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

BH

Well thank the lord you didn't skip the Berkeley show for that deadline then right!   ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Soup, that's what I'm talkin' about. I really place a high priority on my free time, and definitely want to be available to my children (gettin' a little ahead of myself...the first one isn't even here yet  ;D). On a side note, I just got a text message at lunch from a friend of mine. He said he quit his job (as an attorney), bought a van, and is in Yosemite rock climbing  ;D  

And BH, you're damn right I'm glad I didn't miss the show! I still felt uneasy on the drive down to Berkeley because I knew I still had a shitload of work left, but that show was literally cleansing - it washed away months of stress.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

aMillionDreams

I hate every aspect of my profession.  It poisons my soul.  But I make my kids lunch every morning, see them at lunch almost every day, and my commute is about 5 minutes so even on late days we get to hang out for about 2 or 3 hours at night before bed (I teach them Pixies songs).  When my poisoned soul compels me to seek another calling (every day) - I think of that.

You're a strong dude to keep at it even though you hate it so much. I hope you find a way to do what you love.  I love my job and still feel like changing professions now and then just for the sake of change.  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ellis D.

You're a strong dude to keep at it even though you hate it so much. I hope you find a way to do what you love.  I love my job and still feel like changing professions now and then just for the sake of change.  
Don't you dare because you are a good teacher.......

aMillionDreams

Don't you dare because you are a good teacher.......

Thanks brother!  It takes one to know one.  :)

mjkoehler

As my brilliant children of the corn say....Caribooooooooooo Cariboooooooooo

ali

threefold current joys

1. being on holiday for two whole weeks (i know it's not THAT long, it's just been a long time between drinks)

2. being in a different country for 1. (new zealand's lookin pretty good so far)

3. NEIL YOUNG & MMJ TICKETS ARRIVED IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY!!! amazing how much instant happiness can be generated from a simple piece of cardboard! now i'm just waiting on mmj's own shows to be announced so i can well & truly push myself into debt

hope you're all well!  :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

Kenny76

The MMJ forum (I'm new here, and you guys crack me up)

My daughter who's soon-to-be 7 and rockin' the 1st grade

Meat Puppets/Dinosaur Jr/Built to Spill show tonight

Meat Puppets II

everything bagels (two of them)

cream cheese

hefeweizen

getinthevan

I bought a skateboard today.  I haven't had one in probably 5 years and the only reason I had that one was because we found it in a sewer in Alaska, no joke.  I've been hesitant to spend the money but decided that if I don't do it soon, I'll run out of time to skate.  Plus I've been looking for something else to do that doesn't involve sitting in my bedroom on my computer because thats gotten really old.  I imagine I'm going to end up with all sorts of abrasions but it'll be fun.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

TheBigChicken

Florida LOSING !!!!!!!!
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

megalicious

i get to go to the bama/ ole miss game!
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

The DARK

Damn it's good talking to old friends!  :)
In another time, in another place, in another face

primushead

QuoteDamn it's good talking to old friends!  :)

Yo!

TheBigChicken

Just planted cauliflower, brussel sprouts,and cauliflower this weekend

aMillionDreams

yuck! veggies!  just joking.  Planting season's done in KY, unless you're planting grass or greens.  I'm bringing two truckloads of compost over to my place in a couple weeks and double digging it in.  Should be backbreaking work but my plants will thank me next year.  I'm also going to establish a new garden bed on my side yard this week and try to build raised veggie beds out back by next spring.  we'll see how it goes.

TheBigChicken

Quoteyuck! veggies!  just joking.  Planting season's done in KY, unless you're planting grass or greens.  I'm bringing two truckloads of compost over to my place in a couple weeks and double digging it in.  Should be backbreaking work but my plants will thank me next year.  I'm also going to establish a new garden bed on my side yard this week and try to build raised veggie beds out back by next spring.  we'll see how it goes.
:) :) :)good backbreaking work...We have a small compost pile(with a dog safeguard) of course. Do you have a rain barrel as well? I DIG GARDENING!!!!!!!!!!!! :-* :-*

ItStillJaimoe

The leaves are starting to change colour. It doesn't get any prettier for me than Ontario in the fall.