Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

if theres a DL link, please hook me up! I bought one i swear!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Hawkeye

Shopping spree at Rocky Boots in Nelsonville, OH tonight.  Special employee only sale; went with a friend.  Got $800 worth of stuff for $350!  Some nice Special Ops hiking boots, ski coat, 2 pocket knives, 2 pairs of heated socks, a pair of tennis shoes, and a scarf (some for me, some are gifts).  I know, doesn't sound like $800 worth of stuff but the ski coat and boots alone are normally over $500.

Rang the Salvation Army bell last night.  Some really good, appreciative people out there.

Not a huge cat person, but our cat is a real sweetheart.
We could.

lil sis

MSG in one day.  Can't wait to see some of my favorite peeps!  Last minute additions to the roll call list have put a huge smile on my face.  I am going to get minimal work done from here on out.  Counting down the minutes!!!
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

mjk73

There was something seriously good feeling coursing through the air this AM. I was happy for a change. Did someone slip me a roofie or something? I smiled the entire time through my morning run. I'm glad I didn't run into anyone whilst running. My happiness may have spurned a case of random dry humping. I'm guessing this good vibe int he air is cuz I get to see a close friend of 20+ years. Seeing her and her husband usually put in such a great mood.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Ordering this (just the guitar)... should have it soon! Been wanting an SG like this for about 10 years now.

Now I can pretend to be Pete Townshend and windmill my way through some tunes.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Jaimoe

Are you getting a Gibson or Epiphone like the one in the pic with the Fender Blues Junior amp?

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Are you getting a Gibson or Epiphone like the one in the pic with the Fender Blues Junior amp?

Epiphone SG 1966 Reissue (basically an up-fitted G400). A Gibson would render me hungry and cold for the next few months, plus I'm not in a band or anything, and my talent level doesn't necesitate a $1000 guitar at this point  ;D

mjk73

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 15, 2011, 10:28 AM

Epiphone SG 1966 Reissue (basically an up-fitted G400). A Gibson would render me hungry and cold for the next few months, plus I'm not in a band or anything, and my talent level doesn't necesitate a $1000 guitar at this point  ;D
It might have been the amp I tested on when I last shopped for guitars, but I really couldn't tell much of a dif between the Epi and the Gibson other then price. At least not enough of a difference that the home musician would notice or care. Save the money and get the Epi. just my opinion

Jaimoe

Quote from: mjk73 on Dec 15, 2011, 10:47 AM

It might have been the amp I tested on when I last shopped for guitars, but I really couldn't tell much of a dif between the Epi and the Gibson other then price. At least not enough of a difference that the home musician would notice or care. Save the money and get the Epi. just my opinion

It's more in the workmanship, wood and guts of the guitar. Re-sale is another thing too. However, the pickups should be the same and so would be the playability and some Gibson brands are only available though Epiphone and they are a respected off-shore subsidiary, so nice buy.

BTW, I'm a SG and lifelong Who and Townshend fan and love the way he played and smashed his SG.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 15, 2011, 11:00 AM

It's more in the workmanship, wood and guts of the guitar. Re-sale is another thing too. However, the pickups should be the same and so would be the playability and some Gibson brands are only available though Epiphone and they are a respected off-shore subsidiary, so nice buy.

BTW, I'm a SG and lifelong Who and Townshend fan and love the way he played and smashed his SG.

The quality of the build is what drew me to the Epiphone actually.... mahogany body and a set mahogany neck.

Jaimoe

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 AM

The quality of the build is what drew me to the Epiphone actually.... mahogany body and a set mahogany neck.

It'll be a nice guitar to have. I'd love to get a Gibson Jr., but they are hard to find and cost a fortune, for a limited range guitar.

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 15, 2011, 11:48 AM

It'll be a nice guitar to have. I'd love to get a Gibson Jr., but they are hard to find and cost a fortune, for a limited range guitar.
A friend that I jam with every so often has an Epi SG and it's lightening fast to play. For me anyway.

Jaimoe

Quote from: mjk73 on Dec 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 15, 2011, 11:48 AM

A friend that I jam with every so often has an Epi SG and it's lightening fast to play. For me anyway.

SGs have oversized frets and a thin neck, making them easy to play lead on. By comparison, Teles are unforgiving since they have tight frets and are built for aggressive playing. Sloppy lead guitarists better tighten up with Teles (Jimmy Page will attest to this).

YouAre_GivenToFly

I used to have a Tele... and it really was a bitch to play. I was really just a beginner, plus I have large hands. Bad combo for a tele. Although it was damn gorgeous.

Jaimoe

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
I used to have a Tele... and it really was a bitch to play. I was really just a beginner, plus I have large hands. Bad combo for a tele. Although it was damn gorgeous.
I have a G&L ASAT Classic from the late '90s. It was built by George Fullerton and Leo Fender, although Leo died before he could sign it (all original US made G&Ls were signed by one or both George and Leo). My Classic is based on Fender's original Teles. It's a beast to play since I have relatively high action, but it kicks ass (for some reason, I can't post pictures).

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/gl2-341x1024.jpg

YouAre_GivenToFly

WOW. Now that's a tele....

This was mine, but with a sweet black pickguard. I miss it.

Jaimoe

Nice. You can pick up Squires on the cheap, so don't kiss it goodbye forever.

Hawkeye

Now I don't feel so bad for not being able to play my Tele worth a darn  ;)

Here's mine:

We could.

Sassbox

I heard Wonderful (The Way I Feel) on the radio today. Unfortunately, it was followed by a Sublime song.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Sassbox on Dec 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
I heard Wonderful (The Way I Feel) on the radio today. Unfortunately, it was followed by a Sublime song.

I'd say that was a good twofer if the Subline song was "What I Got".