Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

I'll stop the Pujols hating.  I guess I've just reached a point where I don't care at all whether he is or not but defending him is just so hard to do.  It's just that every player that has gotten caught that was a big name I had called out already (except Juan Rincon). ;D

And I don't think it's humanly possible to have a bat that quick naturally.  It must be the wide stance ::)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

QuoteAlmost identical to righty Jimmie Fox, who probably wasn't on steriods since he played in the 30s and 40s.  Why could it not be possible for someone to do it again?

Because it isn't.  Do we have to go over why Jimmie Fox didn't face the pitching that is on the mound these days.  Ohhh, I don't know, Negro Leagues, Latin Americans, Asians, population growth.... ::)

That doesn't even make sense.  By your rational, only the pitching has improved, so games should all be 1-0 in 14 innings since the negro leagues, latin americans, asians entered the game.   If you claim the pitching improved by increasing the pool of available players than so does the hitting.  Your rational is flawed.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

QuoteAlmost identical to righty Jimmie Fox, who probably wasn't on steriods since he played in the 30s and 40s.  Why could it not be possible for someone to do it again?

Because it isn't.  Do we have to go over why Jimmie Fox didn't face the pitching that is on the mound these days.  Ohhh, I don't know, Negro Leagues, Latin Americans, Asians, population growth.... ::)

That doesn't even make sense.  By your rational, only the pitching has improved, so games should all be 1-0 in 14 innings since the negro leagues, latin americans, asians entered the game.   If you claim the pitching improved by increasing the pool of available players than so does the hitting.  Your rational is flawed.

Rational(e)? ;)

You're right.  I'm not sure what I was trying to say here other than that I just hate comparing numbers.  Baseball cracks me up because of how sacred the numbers are when their are more variables that can alter a player's numbers than any other sport which are not indicative of a player's ability.

Anywhooo,

Pujols is still juiced

.Walt

Let's not talk about baseball's lust for the longball. Building smaller and smaller parks, and seeing homeruns fly.

I think that the example Ruckus made, made perfect sense. Everyone knows that a pitcher should be able to beat every hittter. Hitters are celebrated for career averages of failing 7 out of 10 times. A great pitcher is just better than a great hitter. By adding more great pitchers it would be more difficult, it just would. You'll never see a hitter bat over .501. Never. They are not equal. The pitcher has the ball first. They have no excuses, it's on them.  

Maybe because I was a pitcher?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

Doc Halladay was masterful tonight, pitching a complete game 5 hitter vs the Yanks. This is a big couple of weeks for the Jays: 2 more against the Yanks and then the Red Sox next week. As an NHL fan, I find all this very distracting, but the Jays are my favourite sports franchise, so it's all good.

Ruckus

QuoteDoc Halladay was masterful tonight, pitching a complete game 5 hitter vs the Yanks. This is a big couple of weeks for the Jays: 2 more against the Yanks and then the Red Sox next week. As an NHL fan, I find all this very distracting, but the Jays are my favourite sports franchise, so it's all good.

Enjoy the ride man.  

Just got a free ticket right behind home plate to last night's Rays O's game.  Sat about 30 feet from Bobby Bo 8-)

Wow, who would have thought the O's bullpen would go 7 scoreless innings!  

Leontheslut

Anyone who thinks Albert Pujols isn't juicing has their blinders on.

He's about as obvious as Bonds with his huge head and tree trunk forearms.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

MickeyReds

QuoteAnyone who thinks Albert Pujols isn't juicing has their blinders on.

;)
As long as you keep a straight face...

Ruckus

I now realized what I was trying to say.  With the quality depth of pitching now, that a player can simply destroy the ball with such ease as Pujols does, only supports the notion that Winnie the Pujols (I hate Berman by the way) sits on needles regularly.

Vadie Stark

;)

Wait! You think Bonds juiced?
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

BH

I now realized what I was trying to say.  With the quality depth of pitching now, that a player can simply destroy the ball with such ease as Pujols does, only supports the notion that Winnie the Pujols (I hate Berman by the way) sits on needles regularly.

But what I'm saying, is the depth of hitting increases at the same rate as the depth of pitching.  Why would one get better and not the other?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Looks the same to me, and I quote....

"Albert Pujols was as much of a threat to opposing pitchers when he was wearing a Fort Osage High School or Hi-Boy/Post 340 American Legion uniform (shown here in his days at Fort Osage) as he is now as a two-time National League Most Valuable Player for the St. Louis Cardinals."

Leontheslut

;)

Wait! You think Bonds juiced?
No sir!

He said his prayers and took his vitamins like a good little hulkamanic!
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Leontheslut

QuoteLooks the same to me, and I quote....

"Albert Pujols was as much of a threat to opposing pitchers when he was wearing a Fort Osage High School or Hi-Boy/Post 340 American Legion uniform (shown here in his days at Fort Osage) as he is now as a two-time National League Most Valuable Player for the St. Louis Cardinals."

Arod was juicing in HS...

Not that unbelievable if you ask me.

aMillionDreams

Big Papi stranded 12 runners the other night and now he's benched.  Wow, that was a quick fall.  I saw a stat where last season he was hitting something like .430 on second strike fastballs and this year it's like .214.  How does somebody just lose bat speed like that overnight?

His manager says he needs a deep breath, sounds like he needs some HGH.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Vadie Stark

Vadie Stark

I've got an extra ticket for today's game at 10:35. Any takers?

TheBigChicken

painful to look at if you really care about baseball :(
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Vadie Stark

The vine went from baseball to juice. I can delete before I go to today's game.

Leontheslut