4.  Wright
5.  Reyes
6.  Braun
7.  Cabrera
8.  Utley - comeback season
9.  Scared of Hamilton and Kinsler but Kinsler for 2b
10. Hell, Lincecum or Peavy if he goes to the Cubs

just wanted to throw out a pitcher there

I dont get it...Is this an order of who you think has the best season in 2009?? Going by those QB rankings, I have no clue  ;D

Didnt Utley have a pretty good year last year too??  :-?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteWell here I go on the way to 1000
Early top 10

1.  HanRam
2.  Pujols
3.  ARod
4.  Wright
5.  Reyes
6.  Braun
7.  Cabrera

I dont get it...Is this an order of who you think has the best season in 2009?? Going by those QB rankings, I have no clue  ;D

Yeah but not by his standards and Kinsler easily leapfrogged him statistically.  Add to that Pedroia and Upton and I'm not seeing him in many early 1st round mock drafts.  I've taken him in the 1st the last 2 years in one league and didn't get value last year at 8.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

hizzo

I'll just jump in here for a second to move it one post closer to 1,000. GO you mighty Astros!  ;D :)
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

capt. scotty

QuoteWell here I go on the way to 1000
Early top 10

1.  HanRam
2.  Pujols
3.  ARod
4.  Wright
5.  Reyes
6.  Braun
7.  Cabrera

Yeah but not by his standards and Kinsler easily leapfrogged him statistically.  Add to that Pedroia and Upton and I'm not seeing him in many early 1st round mock drafts.  I've taken him in the 1st the last 2 years in one league and didn't get value last year at 8.

Im a huge fantasy dork when it comes to football, and this is the first year Ive done hockey and although my teams going through some growing pains and I didnt know exactly what I was doing in the draft, Im still enjoying it.

Baseball though, I dont know. I for certain watch more hockey than baseball so I def know Im better off in that, but I dont think I watch enough baseball or care enough about it anymore (lets go Buccos  :() to want to do fantasy baseball.

I know more than the common person about baseball these days, but dont know enough for fantasy I dont think. For instance, Im aware of Kinsler by name, but Im not sure what team he's even on - Texas? Detroit? Anaheim?.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

As for your thoughts on Utley, I think youre offbase - no pun intended.

He had a career high in HR, was 1 RBI short of tying his career best in RBI's, had the 2nd highest runs of his career, and though his AVG ducked below .300, it was only his worst since 2005 - and 2007 his AVG was crazy high.

If you look at his hits, doubles, triples, BB's, SB's, SLG, and OPS, theyre all consistent with his career/last few years numbers.

Im guessing he's more valuable because theres only so many good 2nd basemen, but his stats last year where good enough that IMO he didnt really drop off

.Walt

I really want to start the fantasy baseball thread, but it might be too soon yet.  I'm looking forward to this season!

i guess it's not too soon. i called one of my buddies (vag discomfort) he was already doing one. i'm trying really hard to find a money league to get into. Dylan, you and i should get into a money league through Fanball. I'm pretty sure we can do this, and it's pretty legit. I've said this plenty of times, but fantasy baseball is the best fantasy sport of them all. maybe because there's so many more postitions and players to draft. i love baseball, but i usually don't do well in fantasy baseball. i don't know, but i just fucking love it.

i'm also loving that HUGE win in fantasy golf last week!!  8-) ;)

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

aMillionDreams

I really want to start the fantasy baseball thread, but it might be too soon yet.  I'm looking forward to this season!

i guess it's not too soon. i called one of my buddies (vag discomfort) he was already doing one. i'm trying really hard to find a money league to get into. Dylan, you and i should get into a money league through Fanball. I'm pretty sure we can do this, and it's pretty legit. I've said this plenty of times, but fantasy baseball is the best fantasy sport of them all. maybe because there's so many more postitions and players to draft. i love baseball, but i usually don't do well in fantasy baseball. i don't know, but i just fucking love it.

i'm also loving that HUGE win in fantasy golf last week!!  8-) ;)

Sounds good to me, my man.  The wife gave me a greenlight on betting on fantasy sports after I finished 1, 2, and 4 in my football leagues.

Fantasy Baseball is definitely the most involved of the fantasy sports, you can really geek out on it.  I'm looking forward to it.  Do you wanna set up the league, Walt?  I liked last year's categories but I would like to see WHIP counted this year.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

Dont call it a comeback!!!!

The man with the best nickname ever in baseball, Oil Can Boyd, is making a return to the big leagues  :D

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9228008/%27Oil-Can%27-Boyd-looking-for-comeback-at-age-49?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

Ruckus

QuoteAs for your thoughts on Utley, I think youre offbase - no pun intended.

He had a career high in HR, was 1 RBI short of tying his career best in RBI's, had the 2nd highest runs of his career, and though his AVG ducked below .300, it was only his worst since 2005 - and 2007 his AVG was crazy high.

If you look at his hits, doubles, triples, BB's, SB's, SLG, and OPS, theyre all consistent with his career/last few years numbers.

Im guessing he's more valuable because theres only so many good 2nd basemen, but his stats last year where good enough that IMO he didnt really drop off

Actually that was a significant dropoff.  As that lineup matured and he is at his prime or reaching it, one would not expect such a precipitous decline in BA.  In fantasy, a .035 drop in BA from you 1st round pick who likely gets 600-650 AB is huge.  Again, all I said is that I did not get value at the number 8 pick.  I'm well aware of his stats as I had him the past 2 years (mentioned before)  Plus, Kinsler is the guy now.

Bumpity Bumpity Bump

bowl of soup

Evryone does realize that the Rays could be much better than last year?  All offensive players on the team (with the exception of Navarro) had down years last year, we were just about the most injured team in baseball, and a full year of Price (who may start the year in the minors).

We have the best and deepest rotation in basball with at least 4 guys at Durham ready to pitch in the bigs right now.  I don't really care what the Yanks and Sawx did in the off-season.  Lay the line-ups out top to bottom and tell me which team is better.

Jaimoe, what did you guys do to keep up?  I'll give you a report from Dunedin - I'm close to there and will be catching a couple of spring training games.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Jaimoe, what did you guys do to keep up?  I'll give you a report from Dunedin - I'm close to there and will be catching a couple of spring training games.

They did nothing, but lost A.J. Burnett, so the Jays starting rotation isn't as good on paper, but still one of the best in the Majors. Plus, the rotation as a whole is young, so they should be better as the year wears on. Getting back Dustin McGowan from injury is fantastic. However, pitching isn't Toronto's problem; scoring runs is. No Jays fan is happy with GM JP Riccardi. One good thing is that we get back Aaron Hill back at second base - he missed almost the entire year with a concussion. Young guys have to step up, just like they did in Tampa.

Jbones72

QuoteMight be time to start a new thread, this one is massive.

Too bad we have all this steroid talk just as the season is starting up again.  I think spring training starts next week, right?

Don't forget about the World Baseball Classic. It starts in early March. Canada - with Joey Votto, Jason Bay, Justin Morneau and Russell Martin - take on the US in the Rogers Centre (Skydome) in Toronto. I'll be there.

I'm happy that Johan Santana isn't pitching in it. I really don't get into it... I think it will stop after the first big star gets hurt during it and misses a whole season!
As for a salary cap, which will never happen, I would like it if it was like the NFL. The only contract $ that's guaranteed is the signing bonus.

Ruckus

Too bad we have all this steroid talk just as the season is starting up again.  I think spring training starts next week, right?

Don't forget about the World Baseball Classic. It starts in early March. Canada - with Joey Votto, Jason Bay, Justin Morneau and Russell Martin - take on the US in the Rogers Centre (Skydome) in Toronto. I'll be there.

I'm happy that Johan Santana isn't pitching in it. I really don't get into it... I think it will stop after the first big star gets hurt during it and misses a whole season!
As for a salary cap, which will never happen, I would like it if it was like the NFL. The only contract $ that's guaranteed is the signing bonus.

How come you don't get into it.  Why don't Americans get up for this stuff?  There's a World Championship in basketball, WORLD CUP in soccer....$$$$$....yeah yeah yeah I get it >:(

capt. scotty

Jbones72

How come you don't get into it.  Why don't Americans get up for this stuff?  There's a World Championship in basketball, WORLD CUP in soccer....$$$$$....yeah yeah yeah I get it >:(

I just don't want guys from my team risking injury for nothing. If Wright or Reyes blows his knee out during Mets spring training game and is out for the year I could take it, but not if it happened during the WBC.

Ruckus

I just don't want guys from my team risking injury for nothing. If Wright or Reyes blows his knee out during Mets spring training game and is out for the year I could take it, but not if it happened during the WBC.

I just don't understand why Americans who wave their flag every four years like madmen during the Olympics don't care when it comes to an international competition between nations playing "America's Pastime."  Then I often I am confronted with disdain and disbelief when, although now naturalized, I cheer for my birth country instead of my current country of citizenship.  Injuries happen in soccer friendlies, Euro Championships and the World Cup.  Yao Ming hurt himself while playing for China and I believe Pau Gasol did while playing for Spain.  It happens.

Why is it OK for professional players to go play winter ball in the Caribbean?  Are you cool with that?  It happens all the time.

I understand your perspective and I guess my issue is with why don't more people in this country care about it?

Jaimoe

The Americans will start caring about the World Baseball Classic when they lose a few more times. If there's one thing Americans don't like, it's losing.

It also takes time for any kind of world championship to get going.

That being said, I bet many if not most Canadian hockey fans would rather hoist the Stanley Cup than win a hockey gold medal at the Olympics (although Canadian players treat playing for the national team as an honour and a duty, not a chore).

Jbones72

Maybe if it happened during the off season it would be popular. I still think the biggest problem is that it happens during spring training. If it was during the 2 weeks after the NFL season ends before the Super Bowl people would get into it .

bowl of soup

QuoteThe Americans will start caring about the World Baseball Classic when they lose a few more times. If there's one thing Americans don't like, it's losing.

It also takes time for any kind of world championship to get going.

That being said, I bet many if not most Canadian hockey fans would rather hoist the Stanley Cup than win a hockey gold medal at the Olympics (although Canadian players treat playing for the national team as an honour and a duty, not a chore).

You're off base.  Americans will start caring about this....never.  International competition in baseball has no real history and, let's face it, baseball is on its death bed in the USA.  If losing is the one thing that Americans hate, what is that one thing for Canadians?  Success?  ;)
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.